Best scope for a rimfire

Swarovski1

Hi all.

I've got a leupold v-xr 4-12x40 cds currently mounted.it is a superb scope but but parallax needs setting for 50 to 70yds on 12 magnification.its currently for sell in classified.if it doesn't sell I will get parallax done and keep it.was wondering your thoughts on what's best.cheers swaro

I use a cheap and effective Hawke HD rimfire model with 22LR holdovers marked on the ret. No need for any more scope on my .22.

Hawke quality are fine as said above.

Essentials IMHO are parallax adjustment and marked vertical reticule - mildots or lines or any markings but going above 65 yds with subs, this makes life a lot easier if hunting.

I use a cheap and effective Hawke HD rimfire model with 22LR holdovers marked on the ret. No need for any more scope on my .22.

Hawke quality are fine as said above.

Essentials IMHO are parallax adjustment and marked vertical reticule - mildots or lines or any markings but going above 65 yds with subs, this makes life a lot easier if hunting.

Having said that, I have a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14 with the Rapid Z800 Reticle which is fantastic. But I use it a lot for rabbit control.

I've got a Hawke and an MTC on my rimfires at the moment, the MTCs ok but they've discontinued them now, the Hawke is poo so looking for something else. I've Just received a Vortex Diamondback HP 2-8x32 and waiting on the same scope in 3-12x42 for comparison. I've not tried vortex's diamondback range before but I rate their Viper range. Very happy with the 2-8x32, has side parallax adjustment which goes down to 20yds, (3-12x42 is 30yds) so perfect for the .22. I wondered whether the 32mm objective would be a bit rubbish at night, (that's why I ordered the 42mm as well) but it's easily good enough at 100 yds with the lamp.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What kind of shooting do you do? I shoot mostly at night and I've just backed a Bushnell Elite 6500 because it was pants in comparison with my Hawke Sidewinder with a gen 3 Archer NV. Quite a lot of expensive scopes are not good with night vision. It's the coatings apparently.

Glasswise the Elite would've been fine for daytime.

Swaro - you don't state use or budget so . . . .

For £359 I have a new Hawke Sidewinder IL 4-16x50 on my HW 100 air rifle which I shoot rested out to 50 yards.

For £995 - I have a NF SHV IL 4-14x56 on my Anschutz .22 LR.

In real life shooting it's hard to tell the two apart - day or night

Best scope I wish I have never sold for simplicity and dusk - together with an original Finnfire - Simmons Whitetail Classic 3-10x50 (Uttings currently £149). Leupold seem to have gone out of favour so good deals to be had, and as Bowji suggested, a Sightron. Vortex - I find very on/off regards eye relief.

• 2 weeks later...

As long as you are talking about sensible ranges, this scope is very hard to beat.

https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/rimfireultralight-riflescopes/vx-2-3-9x33mm-rimfire-efr/

+1 but id get the CDS version .

Archived