Do I need a 260 or other?

eldon

Right I have a heavy barrel 308 that I'm happy with but on last renewal thought I'd have something else as well. I put down a 7mm08 as i fancied a lightweight deer outfit. Since then I have bounced around on the idea that the two calibres are too near each other so why bother as I get on the the 308 fine and it produces the results.

My thoughts are now to vary the empty slot for either a 260 Remington or a 25/06 what do you think/advise, other calibres considered?

I want something short, say 20" barrel or less, lightweight and might attach a fixed scope (as i have a few) with a 200 yd zero for no frills walking about, plain and simple., and yes I am a reloader.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think from a 20" bbl, the 260 would be mine choice, and with the 6.5 the bullet choice is so much greater than in .25 cal, the 25/06 is a fine deer cartridge no doubt but you'll be 100g or Circa 120g, and running it in a 20" bbl wouldn't tickle my fancy,

OK -got the 'carry gun,lightweight,short barrel...' probably 250y range (scope specs)

What are you going to shoot with it (if deer,species?) as that is the main calibre decider here-together with what is is actually available....

Rem 7 seems the kind of rifle....but if you have prejuduces/preferences say so (esp if 'left handed')and we can get to it...

gbal

Ok guys here goes;

Had a 243 sako 75 and just didn't get on with it. After the 308, punching through crop and grass one morning it cheesed me off and went the following week. Problem was it was witnessed AND took a while to live down, Now I realise this might have been unfair to the set up but the damage was done so it had to go.

Main use for this one would be foxes and roe.

My 308 runs 165 grain bullets and i have a Tikka 204 for bunny bashing, at range, plus fox if it turns up whilst doing so. I'm happy with both rifles but thinking in the middle.

A CTR Tikka in 260 floats my boat but is this just a WANT or do I actually NEED one?

OK,all the cartridges mentioned (and many others) are more than adequate for roe (and fox).Can't see any logic in a long action (like 6.5x55) for this use in a light carry rifle. All the Tikkas cost a tad more in weight from the one size fits all action,but they are very decent rifles. You don't suggest a weight,so maybe it's not critical-fair enough-you are probably not going to carry it very far over hard ground.

I don't really understand the 308(or whatever ) shooting grass- perhaps you mean an ill advised shot failed-as you say,not likely to be the fault of the cartridge-if a 308 failed,all the others would have too!

You like your other 308-maybe a light 308 makes sense?

So would the rest of the family-7-08 or 260.

I don't think bullet choice etc etc are relevant-all have ample options.Do you see any benefit in another reloading set up?

If there were any chance of other quarry (reds,eg) the 308 might get the nod for me. I'd think there will be more choice of rifles in 308 too,but you only need one-the right one.Recoil/weight only you can decide,though again the 308 is the more flexible cartridge for loading.

There is a decent case for a light carry rifle for fox/roe-your others don't really fit the bill.If forced-unlikely-to choose between rifle make/fit etc and calibre,any of the cartridges are fine.Rem /Tikka/Sako all have contenders (as do other makes,of course).

Choose one;don't shoot grass while being observed,and it should be just fine!

gbal

consider the 6.5 creedmoor , lovely efficient little cartridge , I run a 20" one and I'm getting 2700 fps from factory 140 amax and 2900 from factory 120 amax

just had 27 hinds in a week from 40m to 380m , delighted with it's performance !

The 6.5 Creedmore is a fine medium cartridge,as is the 6.5x47Lapua.

Their advantage as a hunting cartridge over the 260 Rem is rather elusive.

So two things toadd into the (worthwhile) consideration mix:

What is the choice of light rifles like in 6.5 Creedmore?

How many of the 27 would not have been taken with a 260? (or 308..or....)

Nothing agin 6.5s-I have a couple,one very heavy,one very light.

gbal

The 6.5 Creedmore is a fine medium cartridge,as is the 6.5x47Lapua.

Their advantage as a hunting cartridge over the 260 Rem is rather elusive.

So two things toadd into the (worthwhile) consideration mix:

What is the choice of light rifles like in 6.5 Creedmore?

How many of the 27 would not have been taken with a 260? (or 308..or....)

Nothing agin 6.5s-I have a couple,one very heavy,one very light.

gbal

I had a 260 which I re-barrelled to creedmoor , I also shortened the 260 barrel and in my experience the creedmoor is more tolerant of shorter barrels , a bit like the 308 for example , some cartridges just seem to tolerate a shorter barrel better than others.

and no , the creedmoor didn't kill them any deader.

Tack,thanks-once we open up to customising costs,the options widen a bit...I can well understand your satisfaction with the CM...

I have the impression that factory chamberings in stalking rifles are a bit limited for the CM,and the 308 seems happy enough-at least for purpose-in a 20"

There was a time when an 61/4 lb 18 inch 6.5 was the hill rifle of choice ...

(even with the ghillie to carry it).

g

A CTR Tikka in 260 floats my boat but is this just a WANT or do I actually NEED one?

Speaking of such, I saw a rare beast yesterday, namely a brand new CTR in 6.5 Creedmore! Tikka did a run of ?600 for some American outfit and two of these made their way to NZ. When the shop guy heard about this, he immedately grabbed one for himself. They aren't the lightest thing but look the biz and no doubt shoot.

Thanks Gandy, I'll be in touch.

Chris NZ, been looking about last few days and there doesn't seem to be much detail knocking about on these CTR,s. I was hoping to find one so I could feel it in the flesh.

Anybody know where there is any (ideally in Yorkshire)?

25/06 has a lot of powder for a 20", bit barky. 22"

In reality if you are going hunting then a 260 isn't going to give you anything a short barrel 308 with a lighter bullet would give you anyway.

If you fancy a change 260 is as good as anything. Loads of options, none of which make any odds for what you want. The calibre question is over thought and strewn with false conclusions.

Buy what you fancy and what you will have confidence in.

25/06 has a lot of powder for a 20", bit barky. 22"

In reality if you are going hunting then a 260 isn't going to give you anything a short barrel 308 with a lighter bullet would give you anyway.

If you fancy a change 260 is as good as anything. Loads of options, none of which make any odds for what you want. The calibre question is over thought and strewn with false conclusions.

Buy what you fancy and what you will have confidence in.

your mostly bang on , but I like to use my stalking rifle for competitions as well (lots of range time makes you more familiar with your rifle) the 6.5's allow you to use some great high BC bullets which the 308 struggles to match (saying that my 308 will be the last rifle to go for me)

+1 on Chanonry,adding " what you have justified confidence in".All the cartridges mentioned will do fine.

The choice of carry suitable rifles is more restricted,and some have a considerable £premium,and limited availability.

The KImber Adirondak eg comes in under 5 lb in6.5,7-08 and 308 (mixed accuracy reviews,but good enough).

The Tikka CTR is just about viable,41 inches good 7.5 lb ok-10 shot mag is not really a plus....is it?

etc-we don't have the crucial budget info,nor does it usually restrain the suggestions when we do!

Dual use-hmmmm.....how many shots does it take toget familiar with a rifle? Practice has to be under comparable conditions to be positively transfered too. Adrenaline can't be simulated.

"The BC question is overthought and strewn with false conclusions...and assumptions" (what a great general purpose quote,by the way): not many have extended access to ranges beyond 600y,and to about that distance there isn't much calibre difference in the contenders,nor does BC have that much effect. And of course,shooting much beyond 350 yards is just anathema for stalking.....and what longer range shooting transfers is that it should not be attempted....

OK,all that said,if you want to shoot one rifle at extended target ranges,and also for stalking ,all the excellent stalking cartridges mentioned are target compromised beyond 600y,but you may well be able to accept defeat by superior cartridges and still enjoy it (your light carry stalker will just not be very competitive,but that's a ballistic given.Confidence can therefore be retained.) Fine-go for it.

Is there a perfect solution ...probably no more so to this conundrum than most in shooting....mechanic friends and joiners tell me a bag of tools is needed,and so do golfers,in their hobby.

My light carry 6.5 was not the easiest rifle to fit with a scope;but was always a joy to have,fired or not.

Go figure-it's not all 'objective' (but the basics have to be sound). :-)

gbal

Thanks guys plenty to think about.

As said, a short barrelled 25 06 probably isn't the best option.

Budget? ........ well its one of those funny ones where I haven't got one. As I've come to realise buying the wrong thing, because it was a bargain etc. isn't a good move so I would prefer to spend more if that is what is required. I don't want to go down the custom route although a re-barrel standard action maybe an option.

For appearances I do like the look of the laminated stocked tikka t3's with stainless furniture and lightweight barrel; anybody have one of these in 260?

The CTR probably isn't the best choice weight wise without duplicating my 308 and as asked I don't need a ten shot mag.

The land I have limits the range to around the 400 yd mark so bc's and speed are of little major consequence and I don't do competitions other than between friends.

well the long (gbal !) and the short (me) of it is you'll be well served in your application by a light short 6.5mm rifle , in my opinion the creedmoor then the 47 then then the 260 and finally if you must the 55

find a rifle you like and go for it !

Typically, from the factory the laminated stainless rifles only come in your least preferred 55 tackb.

So that leaves the re-barrel option; whats the going rate for a shot out laminated T3 with a suitable action?

nothing against the 55 per se , in fact it's a lovely round but I think it's done a little better in short actions now

anything in 22-250/243/308 etc should be fine ? 22-250 most likely to be shot out !

Archived