how's sporter .223

Mark Jones

My mate has just brought a howa in a flimsy hogue stock to put a nv set up on, thought this would be interesting seeing as I have just started reloading. Well I'm gob smacked! Cleaned the barrel before use and started off at 100 yds with Winchester 55grn factory loads, first 3 shot group sub 1 moa. Fired a box through it, cleaned and a fouling shot. It is now shooting a smaller than 5pence group at 100 yds!!! How do I get mt Tikka .243 to do that? And even more amazing was this was with a Yukkon mid range NV attached.

I'm lost for words, only thing I wasn't so keen on was the trigger, otherwise flippin' amazing

Welcome to Howa world.

I have a .223. 20" HB fluted in a laminted varminter stock which, for an unbedded factory rifle is a good shooter. Alycidon and Vermincerator on here will attest to that.

It shoots 40gn Vmax, 50gn Norma, 55gn Vmax and 50gnSako Gamehead S/P with no fuss.

As for the trigger, Mike Norris polished mine and fettled it to a "glass" like break without the need to drop in an afterfit.

My little mini action 223 Varminter has been stunning with 69TMK,s,,,,gonna sell/trade shortly to get another Howa but the full size 20" Laminate Varminter this time.I,ve been running the Howa to save barrel life on my 22PPC and to be honest the little one has really surprised me,,,,agree trigger needs attention but not for general field use and you can work it or replace it with better if required,,,,,,,,O

My mate has just brought a howa in a flimsy hogue stock to put a nv set up on, thought this would be interesting seeing as I have just started reloading. Well I'm gob smacked! Cleaned the barrel before use and started off at 100 yds with Winchester 55grn factory loads, first 3 shot group sub 1 moa. Fired a box through it, cleaned and a fouling shot. It is now shooting a smaller than 5pence group at 100 yds!!! How do I get mt Tikka .243 to do that? And even more amazing was this was with a Yukkon mid range NV attached.

I'm lost for words, only thing I wasn't so keen on was the trigger, otherwise flippin' amazing

My Tikka does that :) , Winchester X Varmint 58gr .

Archived