M40 A5

terryh

While visiting a friend in the US I had chance to 'play' with the current USMC SWS the M40 A5

in%20use_zpsujirk81u.jpg

Basic as issued build spec. and associated kit

• Remington 700 Short Action, Trued up with lugs lapped
  • Chambered in 308Win/7.62 Nato Match
  • Action slotted to USMC M40A3 Specs
  • Correct Remington Precision Rifle Trigger-Custom shop
  • Heavy ground recoil lug to Spec.
  • USMC 30 MOA Lugged Base
  • 25 inch USMC Spec. 1-12 twist, 6 groove, Stainless barrel 1.200 for 4-inch straight taper, contoured to .749" for adapter
  • Surefire Comp/Suppressor Adapter model MB762SSAL/RE
  • McMillan A4 Stock, Sniper Fill, Adjustable Saddle Cheek, Spacer System LOP adjustment, O.D. Green molded-in color.
  • 1 Stud, 6 Flush Cups
  • PGW PVS-22 Night Vision Mount mounted in Stock
  • TIS Slip Cuff Contract Sling, Coyote Brown with Correct Swivels
  • 7075 Alloy Pillar Bedded in Marinetex
  • Badger M5 DBM Trigger guard with one 5rd magazine
  • Badger Ordnance Steel Rings, USMC Spec 34mm
  • Remington trigger tuned to 2.5pounds
  • Matte Black Finish

with%20nite%20sight_zpsk2s0zc4i.jpg

Scope:

Bipod: Harris

Suppressor :Surefire FA762SS

rifle_zps1j7ohj5y.jpg

Nightvision: https://tnvc.com/shop/muns-anpvs-27-magnum-universal-night-sight/

MUNS_zpsqeve71ph.jpg

Shot the rifle in daylight on some steels at a 'pedestrian' 430 yards, function and feel of the whole package is very nice, everything is sorted.

Used the rifle again at night and I was really impressed with the PVS-27, with minimal setting up for my eyes (compared to the owners) the picture was very sharp and satisfying to hit the steel in total darkness and see it all happen.

T

While vising a friend in the US I had chance to 'play' with the current USMC SWS the M40 A5

in%20use_zpsujirk81u.jpg

Basic as issued build spec. and associated kit

• Remington 700 Short Action, Trued up with lugs lapped
  • Chambered in 308Win/7.62 Nato Match
  • Action slotted to USMC M40A3 Specs
  • Correct Remington Precision Rifle Trigger-Custom shop
  • Heavy ground recoil lug to Spec.
  • USMC 30 MOA Lugged Base
  • 25 inch USMC Spec. 1-12 twist, 6 groove, Stainless barrel 1.200 for 4-inch straight taper, contoured to .749" for adapter
  • Surefire Comp/Suppressor Adapter model MB762SSAL/RE
  • McMillan A4 Stock, Sniper Fill, Adjustable Saddle Cheek, Spacer System LOP adjustment, O.D. Green molded-in color.
  • 1 Stud, 6 Flush Cups
  • PGW PVS-22 Night Vision Mount mounted in Stock
  • TIS Slip Cuff Contract Sling, Coyote Brown with Correct Swivels
  • 7075 Alloy Pillar Bedded in Marinetex
  • Badger M5 DBM Trigger guard with one 5rd magazine
  • Badger Ordnance Steel Rings, USMC Spec 34mm
  • Remington trigger tuned to 2.5pounds
  • Matte Black Finish

with%20nite%20sight_zpsk2s0zc4i.jpg

Scope:

Bipod: Harris

Suppressor :Surefire FA762SS

rifle_zps1j7ohj5y.jpg

Nightvision: https://tnvc.com/shop/muns-anpvs-27-magnum-universal-night-sight/

MUNS_zpsqeve71ph.jpg

Shot the rifle in daylight on some steels at a 'pedestrian' 430 yards, function and feel of the whole package is very nice, everything is sorted.

Used the rifle again at night and I was really impressed with the PVS-27, with minimal setting up for my eyes (compared to the owners) the picture was very sharp and satisfying to hit the steel in total darkness and see it all happen.

T

Awesome - thanks Terry!

Thanks,

I built one as close to that as we possibly could a couple or 3 years ago, we even acquired a genuine molded colour (not painted) A4 stock and Gary Schneider ran us up a genuine barrel, as follows

Stock is a McMillan A4 inletted for Badger metalwork and has the correct Schneider barrel channel.
This is the genuine stock and was made specially for the customer.
The barrel is the real deal, a Gary Schneider 1:12" .308 6 groove.
Harris 6-9" w/KMW podlock.
Action is a used Rem 700 that will get the full treatment.
Trigger came with the action and is a Timney.
Sling is a Turner Saddlery Hathcock model.
Badger scope rail.
Bolt knob by Bradley Arms

99153060-F118-4A56-A36A-148B2C0EE5D8-448
null_zps91e34a5b.jpg
null_zpsfa99194f.jpg

Yes sir bradders, Schneider barrel.

The entire package was raffled off by the Marine Corp Scout Sniper Association, rifle, scope, hard case, bipod, scope, PVS-27.

I contacted Surefire and the suppressor had been discontinued to civilian use but is still supported for the military. They sold one of the issue suppressors to me to complete the package.

Yes sir bradders, Schneider barrel.

The entire package was raffled off by the Marine Corp Scout Sniper Association, rifle, scope, hard case, bipod, scope, PVS-27.

I contacted Surefire and the suppressor had been discontinued to civilian use but is still supported for the military. They sold one of the issue suppressors to me to complete the package.

Tony,

I was just chatting with Terry - what you have there is pure Unobtanium, you lucky devil! :)

Yes sir, I'm aware of that. :D I couldn't believe it when I was called and told I'd won the package, really didn't believe it until the rifle actually got to my dealer. I don't think there are very many of these in civilian hands. While I'd never use it in one of the matches I shoot I do shoot it from time to time and let friends shoot it.

I do put PVS-27 on other rifles though and it works great.

Thank you gents, we try to give back when we're able to and the payoff was awesome this go around. MJR, it's my pleasure, Terry has an open door policy to my gun safe when he shows up. :)

Tony

Is there any chance of a pic of the muzzle end w/brake with the can removed please?

Thanks

I'd also be interested in learning what the 'action cut' is - it looks as though the rear of the ejection port has had a radius cut into it, is that what the 'action cut' refers to?

I'd also be interested in learning what the 'action cut' is - it looks as though the rear of the ejection port has had a radius cut into it, is that what the 'action cut' refers to?

They cut the receiver to accept stripper clips (also slightly modify the ejection port to the front and sides)

The Picatinny rail has a couple of recoil lugs that sit in the cut recesses, and make scope mounting more robust

All you need to know

http://rifleshooter.com/2015/02/remington-700-m40a1-m40a3-m40a5-qa-what-is-a-clip-slot-lug-slot-lugged-base/

bradders, yes sir. I'll try to send them when I get back to the house this evening.

Correct on the cut reciever, the scope mount has a lug that comes down and contacts the back of the ejection port. This makes it more robust in that it's not just base screws absorbing recoil, the lug does too.

Archived