10.5 mm tapered case

Murph

I had a friend enquiringly about a crimp die for an obsolete 10.5mm round. It was possibly used in an old steyr rifle. Any ideas on the name of it would be most appreciated.

Difficult with such minimal information,though there are not that many 10.5 obsolete Euro cartridges.

10.5x47R -rimmed-dates back to the mid 1880's,and one of a series of blackpowder cartridges on the same 47mm case-some originating with an Austrian gunsmih (Stahl). This one used (cast lead?) bullets in the 260-298g range.

I think it is in Terry's BACO catalog-IF that is the one you seek-obviously,your friend would need to be very sure,and very careful indeed,and have the rifle very thoroughly checked,by a gunsmith with relevant experience,if there is actually a rifle. Original factory loading data is not available-extreme caution!!

There are 10.25;10.3;and several 10.75s-mainly Mauser designs before 1920,mostly big game numbers in their time,though the magnum length action 10.75x73 is the 404 Jeffrey, Rimless NItro Express,and still available from RWS.

There are also the military 10.4 R Vetterlis (x38 Swiss;x47Italian). Rare here,both have sold as surplus in USA .

Thanks for the reply guys. There is a gun belonging to this caliber. Seemingly an as new rifle still covered in grease!. Should be an interesting project to get up and running. Thanks

Murph

Murph

Bit more detail on 'a gun' would be nice :)

Brgds T

I believe it was a rifle used in the early days of the Ulster volunteer force circa 1920. A friend of a friend owns it. I have not seen the rifle myself. I was asked if I could possibly find dies as I think they are going to try and get the gun shooting again for possibly re-enactments. I will try and get my friend to get more information on the rifle in question. Thanks for the interest terry.

Murph

Archived