Standing shot shooting sticks

I know its been covered before but with new sets seemingly coming on the market every couple of weeks, I was wondering what's in vogue these days for standing shots ie single, bipod, tripod or quad sticks?

Cheers

I'm not a fan of sticks at all .however I was shooting in the BDS shoot so needed sticks and came across viper flex sticks

There a quad stick design with the optional extra leg.

I found them stable enough to shoot a satisfactory group with

So would be more than suitable for stalking .

I use sticks when after rabbits/foxes, and when allowed in the course of fire for sporitng rifle shoots on the range.

About a year ago, I bought some bipod sticks with a trigger which, when squeezed, frees the telescopic legs and allows easy height adjustment. They are quick to deploy, and offer a flexible platform should the quarry decide to move before (or after :blush: ) the shot. There's a tripod version also.

Having said that, I have also seen a shooter put 4/4 shots in the kill-zone of a roebuck target from 300yds off a set of quad-sticks. They did look like something from a school geometry textbook, but they were clearly useful.

Get 4 plastic coated garden canes from B&Q and 4 heavy duty rubber bands ( bike inner tube, martingale rings or Hoover drive bands). Use these bands to make two sets of bipods by attaching at the top then rubber band both sets of legs together. When I deploy them I spread both sets of legs apart, hook the stock behind the pistol grip on the v of the sticks closest to you then push the front pair of sticks forwards as the fore end is lowered down. It takes a bit to get used to but they are really steady so sub inch groups are common at 100 yards off the sticks

Southwick quad sticks:

http://www.countydeerstalking.co.uk/Deer-Stalking-Equipment-/-Reviews/southwick-deer-stalking-quad-sticks-review.html

My permission is in flat, treeless East Anglia. I find the Southwicks invaluable, and don't go out without them.

maximus otter

I would say the most flexible option is a set if twin sticks. I reckon "knobloch" are pricey but the best

No, quad sticks are really good. Can be used as single or twin sticks too.

Build instructions - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12296998/4%20sticks/4%20stick%20assembly%20instructions%2020101104.pdf

Regards JCS

test%201.jpg

Thanks for going to all that trouble, they look pretty handy are they sturdy enough vertically to hold a heavy rifle?

Not sure of my rigs weight but its quite hefty, long heavy varmint barrel, T8 mod etc, certainly never had a issue when using sticks, served me well on the DSC shooting test as well

Get 4 plastic coated garden canes from B&Q and 4 heavy duty rubber bands ( bike inner tube, martingale rings or Hoover drive bands). Use these bands to make two sets of bipods by attaching at the top then rubber band both sets of legs together. When I deploy them I spread both sets of legs apart, hook the stock behind the pistol grip on the v of the sticks closest to you then push the front pair of sticks forwards as the fore end is lowered down. It takes a bit to get used to but they are really steady so sub inch groups are common at 100 yards off the sticks

+1 :)

Plus you don't cry when you invariably reverse over them, slam them in car door, leave them on the hill/moor/marsh when you pack up in the dark or lend them to a "friend"!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a fan of sticks at all .however I was shooting in the BDS shoot so needed sticks and came across viper flex sticks

There a quad stick design with the optional extra leg.

I found them stable enough to shoot a satisfactory group with

So would be more than suitable for stalking .

Don't know how long these Viperflex have been going but I added an extra stick to mine about two years ago. They are a complete game changer. As you can see from my bad pic, the extra leg makes for a work station when needed without having to lay your rifle on the ground, Changing mags, checking for jams, having a cup of tea etc. When I go to pick up bunny the rig stays where it is and points the way.

I should add that the extra stick is adjustable and tucked up and out of the way when shooting

westmoor28th%20june%202016%20002.jpg

Don't know how long these Viperflex have been going but I added an extra stick to mine about two years ago. They are a complete game changer. As you can see from my bad pic, the extra leg makes for a work station when needed without having to lay your rifle on the ground, Changing mags, checking for jams, having a cup of tea etc. When I go to pick up bunny the rig stays where it is and points the way.

I should add that the extra stick is adjustable and tucked up and out of the way when shooting

westmoor28th%20june%202016%20002.jpg

Good idea. Might try that. But don't you find it tiresome carrying six rabbits with you for ballast? Do you keep them in the gun cabinet?

Quad sticks have their place, and do offer good longer range stability but personally, I find them a pain to carry and use.

I still use them if LR corvid shooting and have to get above long grass but for my stalking I now use a Vanguard tripod system, the T6u2 model, which is a 3-in-1 model which you can use as a mono-pod, bi-pod, or tri-pod. The main advantages over quad sticks are weight (the T62u is lighter than most quad-sticks) and that it has a 360 degree tracking head which will take a heavy rifle. I use it with a 12.5 lb stalking outfit and it's perfect for my needs. Can be adjusted rapidly for sitting, kneeling or standing shots and allows rapid tracking of quarry, unlike most quad-sticks. Also doubles as a bino, rangefinder or spotting scope steady and comes with a universal screw fitting for such things.

Wouldn't go out stalking without it now, and since buying it, the quad-sticks are languishing in the utility room.

Quad sticks have their place, and do offer good longer range stability but personally, I find them a pain to carry and use.

I still use them if LR corvid shooting and have to get above long grass but for my stalking I now use a Vanguard tripod system, the T6u2 model, which is a 3-in-1 model which you can use as a mono-pod, bi-pod, or tri-pod. The main advantages over quad sticks are weight (the T62u is lighter than most quad-sticks) and that it has a 360 degree tracking head which will take a heavy rifle. I use it with a 12.5 lb stalking outfit and it's perfect for my needs. Can be adjusted rapidly for sitting, kneeling or standing shots and allows rapid tracking of quarry, unlike most quad-sticks. Also doubles as a bino, rangefinder or spotting scope steady and comes with a universal screw fitting for such things.

Wouldn't go out stalking without it now, and since buying it, the quad-sticks are languishing in the utility room.

Each to his own of course. I did try a modified tripod. I even added a gas ram to make it more stable but still nowhere near as stable as my sticks. As for following/scanning, I simply raise one leg and pivot 360.

trigun.jpg

Archived