Scope mounting question for RUGER precision rifle

Andrew Alexander

Hi All

I’m new to this forum I wonder if anyone can help me with my query please, I have a

Vortex PST 6-24X 50 scope SFP -2nd hand couldn’t find a new one for love or money all on back order I even rang and emailed the UK importer Bentley Parsons but he did not reply either.

I rang the dealer TAC Fire Systems I bought my Ruger precision rifle from who ordered me the Tier One uni mounts medium height 0 MOA as the Ruger has a 20 MOA rail already fitted.

I tried a trial run last night to loosely fit the scope it looks like the uni mount maybe on the short length side but still fits scope my only issue is the front of the scope I cannot attach the scope front lens protector to the scope, as it is very, very close to the rail but not touching so the thickness of the lens cover on the outside is just a trifle too thick to fit.

I was told by the dealer that the closer to the barrel the scope sits the better which makes sense and as the Ruger has a 20 MOA rail it didn’t make sense to add anymore looking back I think we should have ordered the higher mounts with 0 MOA, however in my armature opinion I think the fault lays with the extra-long rail the Ruger Precision has running along the whole length of the hand guard.

I know the new models don’t have the rail running along the whole length of the hand guard so will be easier to mount scopes with large front scope lenses but does not help me now.

Does anyone have any ideas please should I leave the lens protector covers off, shall I send the

Uni mount back and ask for the higher version or I had another idea to take the hand guard to

Gun smith I know who has machinery in his garage and ask him to machine the front rail after the Pictnney rail right down like the new versions of the Ruger model 18004?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated please.

Sounds like you have the low/short unimount - perhaps you'd be better with the long saddle and higher rings, you should be able to get your dealer to swap these for you.

IMG_5480.jpg

I ended up with high mounts on my Ruger PR (6.5CM), I have a Sightron 8x32x56. Will post pics later for information.

Many Thanks Geek

I think I will just keep the unimount I have for now as the new modified hand rails are in for the RPR which don't have the Pictnney rails all the way along to the end so should fit great I have a weaver riser as well from my last scope which fits, Just got a price of £295.00 for the new RPR updated hand guard maybe cheaper to have the one already on the rifle machined right down flat got to be better value for now perhaps.

Many thanks for your help.

I have a Sightron 8-32x56 on my RPR, used some cheap and excellent UTG Twist Lock mounts, about £20 from Ramsbottoms, I also have them on my Steyr and Tikka T3 in an MDT Tac21 chassis with the larger 10-50x60 Sightron, never budged despite my sometimes less than careful handling!. They may be cheap but they work and get very good review in the US.

On the Ruger I used the 6 hole high mounts (25mm saddle to tube), code RG2W3256S, this leaves about 3mm (1/8") clearance with the scope cap on.

http://www.jsramsbottom.com/products/utgrgrqmaster-utg-quick-detach-picatinny--weaver-ring-mounts.html

They come in different heights, there's a chart there so position your scope where you want it and measure the distance between the top of your rail and bottom of the scope tube.

Strangely they're a lot cheaper on Ramsbottoms eBay listing than in their online shop! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UTG-Weaver-Picatinny-RIS-Rifle-Scope-MOUNTS-RINGS-1-30mm-Airsoft-Paintball-Gun-/232038177658?var=&hash=item36068d9b7a:m:mLSRycmhZk01oGb6zuPmo2Q

Don't use the lever lock version, it's not as good :)

Archived