4 rifles and my 4 scopes

I am in a Dilemma. I am pick up a Sako Finnfire today. My idea was to put a new scope on it. Which then lead me to batter my own head on what would fit the bill.

I don't really have a budget as my mind isn't made up what to do.

My rifles and scopes are as follows.

HW60j .17hmr. Currently wearing the new Hawke frontier 2.5/15/50 ir

Sako Finnfire .22lr. Varmint (spare scope 6/24/50 Hawke AirMax 30

Remington semi custom 700 .204 wearing a Meopta ZD 4/16/44 ir

Edgun Matador.25 wearing a 4.5/14/50 Hawke sidewinder ir

I thought of putting a simple scope on the .22lr, a fixed parallax? Or a variable power scope?

I plink and target shoot with all these rifles as well as pest control.

I then thought to move the scopes around. The new frontier on the new Sako the Meopta on the HMR and then buy a FFP scope for the .204

Scope choice is to me the hardest to make a decision on.

Never used a FFP scope but it does make sense but has a few draw backs with the fine ret at low power and big ret at large mag.

I am sure I'm not the only one in the boat as the amount of scopes for sale on different sites is crazy.

With a rimfire 9 mag is plenty for hunting and get something with a 50yd parallax or sight picture won't be clear.i bought a

Leupold vx-r 4-12x40 cds for my rimfire.its a great scope but parallax set to far for close range.i hunt on 7 mag anyway so it's ok but I will be going back to a more suitable scope.mine is in classifieds somewhere. It's worth a look . illuminated reticle is real good.i will miss that.cheers swaro

Hmmmm.... not wishing to stir up this old chestnut,but what sense does a FFP scope make on a hunting scope,especially a rf .(the really good FFPs now have more acceptable reticules,to much reduce the visibility of crss hair/target issue,but that just means they are closer to sfp scopes on that). Field of view won't be an issue for lower mag rf use either. I doubt that ranging will be done accurately enough for rf,even in a pricey FFP-and you will be paying more for the complex internals...

It is of course possible that the very high % of hunters who have SFP scopes are missing out-but they are not missing more. :-)

gbal

Hmmmm.... not wishing to stir up this old chestnut,but what sense does a FFP scope make on a hunting scope,especially a rf .(the really good FFPs now have more acceptable reticules,to much reduce the visibility of crss hair/target issue,but that just means they are closer to sfp scopes on that). Field of view won't be an issue for lower mag rf use either. I doubt that ranging will be done accurately enough for rf,even in a pricey FFP-and you will be paying more for the complex internals...

It is of course possible that the very high % of hunters who have SFP scopes are missing out-but they are not missing more. :-)

gbal

I was thinking of the FFP to go on the .204 as I like to target shoot more with that at longer range. Then move the Meopta down onto the HMR and then the frontier on the Sako.

Not sure.

I was thinking of the FFP to go on the .204 as I like to target shoot more with that at longer range. Then move the Meopta down onto the HMR and then the frontier on the Sako.

Not sure.

B's-don't get sure yet-if you want to use the 204 for target use too,don't get a FFP -targets are known size/distance and often use moa rings. Almost all serious targetshooters choose SFP scopes-reliable clicks are a top priority,though that's a quality issue,not FP. That is even more so for the casual targeteer/vaminter with a limited budget.

The exception is US Precision Shooting-which is rare in UK-fast first shot small gong targets at variable unknown distances,from uncomfortable positions. (5-25 S&B is atop choice-£2k-but that's top kit for that discipline.) It isn't realistic for casual club targets to 500y,and varminting. My choice for that mix is 5-25 Leupold with varmint reticule-though a tad fine at dusk- but think around £700 for a used onee. They are better than needed....but I'd want at least 25x mag,and 32 would not be a problem-after all,you can just dial what you want..side focus is VERY field convenient-for target shooting,less so.Check warranties too-lifetime is good!

g

Neil,yep.the mildots are just dandy too.

Even on the NF ,but lose out ultimately to precision,at least in the minds eye-still pop most things quite satisfyingly-just as does the single

dot on a dedicated target reticule-sit the target tangtially touching the top of the dot,and the human eye cannot really do much better....especially if the target has a round bottom...... :-) .,but I don't want to get too ....explicit?

Also true of old time aperture sights,but less precise,of course.

gbal

At the moment I

Am swaying towards putting a new scope on the .204.

The Meopta ZD will sit on the HMR.

The Sako Varmint has just arrived and it's mint. The Frontier has just been put on that and so far I think it will be staying on that.

I think a tactical scope is in order for the .204. A more pennies need to be saved. I would like a higher mag than the Meopta which was 16.

Choices choices.

I was like this when naming the twins. lol

Dilemmas of choice understood-and babies names!

I'd be thinking though hard about a 'tactical' scope-though that is a rather general label-do you need what a 'tactical' scope offers? A decent one will not be in the economy class-not that money on a decent scope isn't a good investment

-but as I suggested before,opt for a scope that is designed for your uses,not for some functionality you won't use.

Though 500y is really too far for the 204 (32@4225 and 200 zero still has a 29/32" drop/drift in 10 mph wind),500y is really only mid range in target terms,and a top scope isn't needed...though I'd agree that you will appreciate having more mag than 14x,and would opt for something like 8-25 (Leupold was my choice for this-NF for serious LR,but not with 22 cf class). YOu won't need aanything lower in mag,especially once you get used to seeing/aiming precisely(which isn't of course the same as hitting precisely,but it's a neccessary first step!)

If you possibly can,try a few scopes like this-and especially at some distance-almost everything looks ok on a bright day with 6" targets at 100y.....400y with 3" is rather a different proposition. But it does not need a top 'tactical/any scope (£1.5K+) -though perhaps better with a quality scope used,than a more limited new choice. Sightron S111 8x32 are good options-with a choice of reticule-again,get one that suits you® shooting.....Vortex maybe...both in the £800 new bracket.

....and 'range' with a laser range finder-way more accurate,fast,and more foolproof than any reticule..and that includes the NF.(SFPs are just the same as FFP,but only at one set magnification-not really an issue,you can easily set that,and the laser is the way to go anyhow...

Good looking,then shooting

gbal

I have been looking about and the

IOR 6-24×50 Illuminated SFP SH4 MOA

Seems to tick the boxes.

Dailable turrets. Illuminated ret

Good glass and just about in budget. Optics warehouse hard getting some in at the end of the month.

It's definitely a contender. Along with the Bushnell DMR. Although that's only 21mag.

IOR ordered

Managed to get an ex demo one. Dilemma over. Lol

Bns,

A sound choice-the Valdada IOR is a rugged,good scope-heavy (wellmade) and no marginal frills. Good schott glass.

If you haven't already seen it,there is a brief review on Accurate Shooter by "Rhino" where he also mentions the 'tactical' variant.

Something to note in his short review is how inconsistent users -even reviewers who should know better-can be about glass quality-his starts off with glass" right up there with Swarovski and Zeiss," but later on it's just a "bit above Leupold and Burris models".....well,it probably can't be both! Best read more than one review!

It can all get rather subjective....what matters is that the user likes it,and crucial basics-like turret repeatability- are spot on. Enjoy.

gbal

Archived