Sightron STAC tactical turrets modification

Austin.243

Hi Guys,

I have recently purchased an STAC with the non-capped turrets, which are great for dialing however as the turrets are exposed they are highly prone to catching on clothing etc when carrying the rifle.

I was out foxing one evening and cut a long story short I missed everything I aimed at!! I had to blame something so I went to the range and found that the windage turret had twisted a whole revolution to the left, that's 15 minutes!!

I've spoken to Aim field sports and there is the possibility of having the turrets changed but there will be an expense and about a month turn around.

Has anyone tried anything to make the turrets harder to turn, without having to change the internals of the turrets?

Thanks

Austin

Hi Austin,

someone has been messing with your scope, the chances of it being moved accidentally 1 full turn is nil. I've hunted and foxed with dial-able turrets for 20+ years and don't ever remember having turrets moved by mistake. I have on several occasions forgot to dial back to zero after a shot which buggered up the next shot, but that was pilot error. A "clever" chap recently did to my mates stalking rifle exactly the same as happened to yours, he turned the windage turret 1 complete turn out, not clever and not funny!!

Hi Gun Nut,

Well as only my dad and I have access to the rifle I can rule out someone twisting the turrets as we are both not that stupid.

What that "clever" chap did to u mates scope is terrible that could so easily back fire when shooting at live quarry!

I fully understand that to twist the turret by a full rev is almost impossible, or sods law that if it has been moved buy a perfect amount to make it look like it hasn't moved at all, however when I put the rifle in the car I usually do place is windage knob down so when I am removing it for the car if I was to drag the rifle I could easily twist the turret.

I didn't really expect anyone to day that the had modified or made something to make it harder for the turrets to be twisted by accident.

Thanks

Austin

Three peace of mind options (it should be very rare,and as gun nut says,only a 'human' can do a full turn...

1) write down your zeroed settings and check each time before you load up.Most reliable method.

2) put two aligned spots of of tipex/similar on the fixed and moveable bits of the adjuster-it's as 1) but easier ( better yet,austins two luminous blobs for night use,as later post..)

3) put a bit of insulating tape to hold the position...all the way round for belt/braces,though a smaller bit will do- and either way.leave a tab for removal-carefully lest you move the turret! A variation on the 'tape over the muzzle in snow" safeguard.

gbal

Gbal,

I have already used your third option and I haven't had the problem again, as you would expect. However, I still don't see how you can say that this wasn't the just the turret catching on the seat of my car.

I'm going to look into the possibility of making something that might increase the stiffness of the turrets but I am currently at uni and so when I am next back home I'll see if there is anything that can be done

But for now the tape will do.

Austin

Austin,atta boy-you are correct-I cannot rule out repeated precise rotations via ....etc...

While I was at Uni (a decade,before joining the faculty for a career lifetime) mostly I didn't have a car with dodgy seat proclivities.wrt turrets,at least-....or kept my hobbies at home, though the car definitely helped access to increasingly distant (by bike) permissions. :-)

The tape should work OK.meanwhile-I'm pleased modern thought confirms experience on this.

It's a trade off-too stiiff and the gloves can't do it etc etc. Sometimes even the low tech option(tape) is good enough.

As always ,enjoy the academic life,for what it offers:and if you find a better solution,patent it..or share it-these days ,I bang a sighter into the dust,to check,if possible (any discrepancy Is usually memory related-I forgot to record wind!,but I can only speak to VW and Jaguar car seats......:-)

g

I've never had a prob with a falcon and 2x mk4's I've had with the turrets being moved.ive crawled through many a hedge.the mk4's are quite firm.even more firm sine it's return from a service.my sightrons turrets definitely move easier less effort to turn.ive moved them taking the scope coat off or on.maybe something that sightron could improve on.in all fairness it's pretty damned good.i do check mine before shots though.you never know.

Swaro,

I completely agree definitely something for sightron to have a look at. Obviously in the day I would check the turrets before a shot however when out foxing it's not so simple. I was thinking of putting two little blobs of glow in the dark paint so that u can easily check what state the turrets are in.

Thanks

Austin

I just looked at my sightron yesterday and noticed that the windage turret had moved 2 moa.

This scope is on my target rifle so it must of happened when I was taking it in or out of my range bag. They move far to easily and I wouldn't use one for hunting. I have other brand scopes with exposed turrets but they are a lot stiffer and don't cause any problems.

Archived