Metres or Imperial ???

My scope is metric 1cm click @100m. Which is equal to 1/3MOA click,

but i use imperial,, dont know why as at work i use metric,,

i guess it makes things sound further away in yards

Imperial, as that is what my range finder and scope are, if I had a metric scope then I'd have the same range finder and set strelok accordingly

.... what he says :) It makes things so much easier.

I also dislike scopes with MOA turrets and MIL reticles, and vice versa. Defeats the a benefit of having reticle graduations if they dont match the turret clicks.

A rose by any other name.....

Of course,"One metre" has an elegance and simplicity that "39.37 inches approximately" simply can't aspire to, despite it's clumsy adoption of decimals.

"one chain equals twenty two yards" is ok,but then the imperialists have given up 'chains' and such numerical incongruency,except for measuring cricket floors.

Maximus,minimus...Oedipus,Schmoedipus-what does it matter so long as your moma likes her figure?

gbal IV

Imperial.

I tried a metric scope, and simply couldn't get on with it. I was forever over correcting.

Plus MIL is too coarse for my liking.

Either works....dont make the mistake of mixing them.....that doesn't.

I don't like metric in any shape or form personally. I work in Imperial as much as possible.

As far as shooting is concerned I prefer imperial. The contradiction for me is, despite working in metric for more years than I care to admit, I can still visualise inches (and fractions), feet, yards and one mile and even one acre, but not so with metric.

If someone said something measured 200mm I wouldn't be able to see it in my mind but call it 8" and I see it immediately.

Doesn't a metric scope adjust 10mm ? Imperial is 1/4" which is about 6mm ? As Dave says its too course for precision stuff ( 10mm / 100mm @1000 ) , 1/8th even finer but not as much total elevation I think in the same scope ? Heads going hazey now lol

it depends on what the graduations are though 1 mil is more than 1moa -but as you say,1/4 inch per click is generally too course for Target Shooters,who prefer 1/8 inch per click,but these are both imperial.

1 mil is courser than .1 mil,both being metric.

There is no principled reason why an imperial scope could not be calibrated in 1/10" per click,it's just convention that they are not..just as rulers have several sizes of inch division (typically in thirty seconds of an inch- an eight being four thirty seconds) to suit particular precision needs in measurement,though it could just as well be in tenths of an inch...and ditto metric rulers,though they will all be multiples of ten,as in ten millimetres is one centimetre,a hundred cms is one metre.

I don't think any of this affects the actual range of adjustment....an inch,after all,is 2.54 cms or 25.4 mms-"neither more,nor less"....even for Alice in Wonderland,and the fuzzy Hatter crew.

Imperial, because Napoleon and Hitler failed to impose their finger-counting system on us, and l don't see why this generation should surrender to some cheap suits in Brussels.

But you can count on your fingers in sexagesimal just fine, which may be how the Sumerians ended up with the number system.

I have a light preference for metric, it is far more logical and practical, but use whatever unit is most convenient at the time.

What age are you Dave ?

50 in January.

I was taught in both at primary school, even though decimalisation had just happened.

I simply cannot visualise in metric, apart from 30cms...ie a 12" ruler.

I was coming up for 17 when the UK swapped over and it just seemed to click, I can happily swap from imperial to metric and back, can gauge distance in metres and yards and wind in mph and m/sec. Living with a foreigner helps as she was taught wind speed in m/sec, plus slow walking speed is around 1m/sec so perfect with mils for gauging lead on moving targets.

50 in January.

I was taught in both at primary school, even though decimalisation had just happened.

I simply cannot visualise in metric, apart from 30cms...ie a 12" ruler.

I'm 45 and learnt both , I find working in metric easier but like you visualise in imperial ?

Daavid,yes that's a nice pragmatic translation for anyone caught with the unfamiliar common scope choices.

The Dogge's sexagesimal -based on 60-is something the Summarian's passed on to to the Babylonians,but it not at all a sexagesimal transmitted disease-the Babylonians were fine builders (we have to assume the Hanging Gardens were intentional!) and the system is still used in trigonometry and navigation (latitude and longitude).

That fits,because the sexagessimal system is another angular based one (like mil and moa), with degrees minutes and seconds (60).

One degree is 1/360 th of the full circle;and divides into 60 minutes and each minute into 60 seconds.

So,in sexy speak, 5 22' 3" is 5+ 22/60 + 3/360 ie 5+.37+ .008 which adds to 5.378

I can't quite get my head around how this is done with fingers,though-prefer digits.

But if you are not ambiwhateverous with mils and moas,be grateful we don't import scopes from the above regions,calibrated to yet another base. :-)

gbal

'Big sigh'...Although Mils are not metric and never have been.

I find that all this difficulty simply melts away, once you start thinking in angles instead of measurements accross the face of the target. It really doesn't matter what measure you use for the range to the target - the angles are always the same angles.

'Big sigh'...Although Mils are not metric and never have been.

I find that all this difficulty simply melts away, once you start thinking in angles instead of measurements accross the face of the target. It really doesn't matter what measure you use for the range to the target - the angles are always the same angles.

I didn't notice the 'metric claim' for Mils ....as I said in my post " another angular based system (like mil and

I'd imagine some would have some difficulty "imagining an angle across the face of the target",though mil are indeed angular measures....many wil translate into linear....up six clicks,or across 5cm/2 inches and such like....

Sometimes it gets like formulae-knowing the formula is distinct from understanding,or using appropriately ,or especially explaining it in use (not that I'm suggesting the first two of those are apparent here.)

"pragmatic" might just allow a slight imprecision-if it works conveniently "good enough for purpose" -indeed,that's pretty much what it means. In that slight distortion,being to the base ten the units (mms,cms,metres) are considerably more ''metric' looking than "12 inches in a foot.three feet in a yard,one yard in a farm...)...but it's a quibble about language labels,mostly,and comes down to "up a bit/click and across a tad/half a ring before the wind changes" :-)

gbal

Archived