Looking for a Rimfire replacement

dogfox1

Hi,

Update on the rimfire replacement

Finally decided to go with a 17 Rem Fireball. Using 20grn Vmax bullets for starters loaded with Trail Boss looking for a sweet spot between 1400 to 2400 fps and a good sound moderator.

Currently forming cases at the moment from US 223 military cases, a little more work, have had them on the shelf for years and cost nothing so decide to use them. No sign of any 17FB cases becoming available in the short term.

Thank for all the help on the way.

G

Hi a few chaps on here are using .17 rcbs form dies to neck down .221 lapua brass, including me.

Your right, I believe Remington have stopped producing .17 fb brass period.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Update on the rimfire replacement

Finally decided to go with a 17 Rem Fireball. Using 20grn Vmax bullets for starters loaded with Trail Boss looking for a sweet spot between 1400 to 2400 fps and a good sound moderator.

Currently forming cases at the moment from US 223 military cases, a little more work, have had them on the shelf for years and cost nothing so decide to use them. No sign of any 17FB cases becoming available in the short term.

Thank for all the help on the way.

G

Hi a few chaps on here are using .17 rcbs form dies to neck down .221 lapua brass, including me.

Many thanks for that already well down the road on converting 223 military brass. Took the cheap option already used some of them before in a 15" barrel 223 and they consistently grouped around 0.5 MOA. @ 100. Alot of work though.

G

• 4 weeks later...

I replaced my HMR settled on 17 fireball in the end it was the decision I've made in a long time cheap to run and deadly accurate brass can be hard to come by but I now have enough possibly for two barrel I just pick it up when it's available.

Cheers Matt

Hi Matt,

Best of luck with your choice, there still appears to be no brass or loaded ammo around, not been able to find either. Was looking for just a few for comparison purposes to measure to chamber neck dimensions, so I can turn the necks to best fit and not unduly over work the brass when reloading. May have to turn a few cases so the loaded round is just under CIP dimensions and see we how much they expand. Had some rifles in past with loose chambers that really over worked the brass. Not even found one genuine piece of FireBall brass to measure the neck wall thickness for a starting point.

So much work involved in making the brass, I want to get the best life out of it.

I pick up brass when it's available picked up 50 one fired two weeks back rem factory I'm hoping to get ten reloads out of the brass seven up to now I'm not running it to hot so possibly a new barrel in 3 year's my rifle is built on a sako.

I pick up brass when it's available picked up 50 one fired two weeks back rem factory I'm hoping to get ten reloads out of the brass seven up to now I'm not running it to hot so possibly a new barrel in 3 year's my rifle is built on a sako.

"I pick up brass when it's available picked up 50 one fired two weeks back rem factory I'm hoping to get ten reloads out of the brass seven up to now I'm not running it to hot so possibly a new barrel in 3 year's my rifle is built on a sako."

Hi,

Just out interest Matt is there any chance you could measure neck wall thickness on a couple of the Remington FB brass.

Thanks

G

dogfox just for your interest the neck wall thickness of my Remington 17 Fireball cases is 0,35mm or .0138" measured with a ball micrometer.

Ian.

Hi Ian,

Many thanks for that info, it gives me a safe starting point.

G

Archived