Tikka Stock / Chassis options?

Brushy

If money is a prime consideration, I'd go the stock vs chassis route.

I'd consider a Manners stock. With Tier 1 bottom metal (to fit the T3) you can use standard AICS mags. Very good stocks and generally a lot cheaper than many of the chassis options out there, even when you factor in bedding costs.

If cost isn't really an issue, a chassis can remove some of the problems associated with poor bedding (though some chassis don't fully relieve all the stress points.) and generally they're a bit more ridgid.

Just my opinion.

Best of luck!

As many/most of the after-market stocks/chassis systems under discussion use AICS magazies, I thought I'd mention that although AICS mags are of an approximate external fit standardisation, they are far from standard inside, and as a result there are variations in what types of ammunition they will accommodate.

My son and I have/have had three different types of AICS compatible chassis systems over the past few years, and this has taught us a bit about AICS magazine comptibility. The problem with some calibres is that of what COAL they ill accommodate - with my son's .223 KRG X-Ray this isn't much of an issue, he uses MDT Polymer mags which allow a fairly generous COAL.

This is not the case however with our two other AICS-compatible chassis systems used with .308 in and .300 WSM rifles. I want to be able to use 155gr and heavier bullets in both calibres - initally I obtained MDT mags in .308 calibre and Alpha systems in .300 WSM. The .308 MDT mags were very tight and would take only typical factory loads at standard COAL, whilst the .300 WSM mags were a bit more generous. I then discovered Accurate-Mag AICS magazines and bought in both .308 and .300 WSM - these are superbly made and will accomodate rounds at fairly long COAL, I can use these with 155 scenars almost touching the lands - these are very good mags and are now my go-to when I need to feed frm a magazine.

Accurate mags are imported to the UK and can be obtained from RPA.

I then discovered Accurate-Mag AICS magazines and bought in both .308 and .300 WSM - these are superbly made and will accomodate rounds at fairly long COAL, I can use these with 155 scenars almost touching the lands - these are very good mags and are now my go-to when I need to feed frm a magazine.

I stock the Accurate Mag range, as well as being very well made they also come in a range of lengths so are popular for custom builds.

In .300 WM for example they do:

0.736" width x 3.715" length x 3.66" height (most standard chassis with AICS)
0.736" width x 3.775" length x 3.66" height (Rem long action and custom)
0.736" width x 3.850" length x 3.66" height (custom)

http://riflemags.co.uk/aics-magazines/

I shoot with people who have both the GRS laminated stocks and the "Berserk" and hear nothing but positive results. I believe both come set-up for Tikka mags, but can be easily fitted with appropriate bottom metal for AICS mags ... ... ... or of course you could use the latest British 10-rd. T3 mags offered by "BlackRifle"/"MajorDisorder".

AICS bottom metal for Tikka T3s requires stock inletting to fit the wider magwell. An easier task on a wood stock such as the laminate GRS than some synthetic types like the Berserk. Having seen the pain involved inletting a synthetic Super Varmint stock I would be tempted to go for a dedicated chassis or a stock which comes with the thumbs up of however is doing your inletting.

In factory T3 mag terms, you are limited with 5 rounds. 10 round milled aluminium ones exist in .223 and .308, I stock the best established versions which have been around for a few years. There is a full length '-06 magnum' size and 6.5x55 versions due in the new year.

http://riflemags.co.uk/tikka-t3-t3x-magazines/

http://riflemags.co.uk/blog/tikka-t3-t3x-10-round-aluminium-magazines/

I stock the Accurate Mag range, as well as being very well made they also come in a range of lengths so are popular for custom builds.

In .300 WM for example they do:

0.736" width x 3.715" length x 3.66" height (most standard chassis with AICS)

0.736" width x 3.775" length x 3.66" height (Rem long action and custom)

0.736" width x 3.850" length x 3.66" height (custom)

http://riflemags.co.uk/aics-magazines/

That's excellent news - although I've never had any problems buying direct from RPA their stocks are rather sporadic.

• 1 month later...

2 x grs stocks hear both the Nordic Wolf Howa one 223 and one in 308 i like them and a few people who have asked about them have shot the guns and liked them too .

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/rifles/howa/bolt-action/243/grs-nordic-wolf-150514141055001

I had a look at various options in the end but ended up going for a MDT HS3 chassis with a Magpul PRS buttstock.

The reasons being that I wanted a solid aluminium bedding block - rather than a stock which would need bedding etc. I also wanted a detachable mag preferably to be able to load long rounds to achieve optimal seating depth.

Impressions so far are that the chassis is good but when you add the cost of the PRS for adjustable cheek peice and LOP - it certainly ain't cheap!!

I'll try n get some photos for those who are thinking of going down this route.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the response DW58.

I'd considered most of these.

KRGs are both short action and will not accept AI long action magazines.

GRS bolthorn - its so UGLY!! Other GRS stocks - does anyone have an opinion on these? Will these only accept Tikka standard magazines etc?

MDT - I'm not sold on these.....never played with one but they seems pretty expensive for what they are.

Very, very interested in the AI - best get saving!!

Any other options out there?

I use a laminate GRS stock and it's excellent. Comfortable, adjustable, very stable platform and not too heavy, plus very rigid. Couldn't ask for more. It accepts all standard Tikka mags.

IMG_1255_zpsjf6ulrsn.jpg

IMG_1251_zpsgvz6p4bf.jpg

Archived