New to Reloading.

Brighteyes

Hi Folks,

Need to pick your brains. I want to start loading my own .223 & .243 and I want to keep it simple. I have a Saka 85 in Stainless / Syn .243.

I want to keep with a 100/105 Grain bullet, for Deer Management and a 55 grain .223 rifle is a Howa 1500 stainelss varmnit for pest control. I will have range days but I am not anal about clover leaving groupage but needs to be consistant and a good group. I know I have to do my bit too.. its not just the powder etc.

would someone be so kind to recommend a powder that would complete all tasks, if possible I dont fancy having various powders if I dont have to.

Thank You Very Much.

Andy

The tasks are too different for a single powder - the 223 needs a considerably faster burning grade than the 243 with 100/105s.

The possibilities are immense, but assuming you can get Vihtavuori powders where you are, this is a good marque to use given reasonable prices, wide availability, clean burning characteristics, and if not a 100% guarantee of being in stock when you need it, not too far from that.

For 223 /55 you can use Viht N133, N135 and the slower burning end N140. All work, but personally I'd recommend N133 for this bullet weight. For the 243 with 'heavies', you'd use Viht N160, or better still IMO slower burning N165.

(With the 243 check the Howa's barrel twist rate against the bullet(s) you have in mind especially 105s. If it's the industry (SAAMI) 1 turn in 10-inches standard rate, it won't fully stabilise boat-tail 105s, maybe also this form in 100gn too depending on their length.)

Viht data for the two cartridges at:

http://www.vihtavuori.com/en/reloading-data/rifle-reloading/rifle-reloading-data.html

The tasks are too different for a single powder - the 223 needs a considerably faster burning grade than the 243 with 100/105s.

The possibilities are immense, but assuming you can get Vihtavuori powders where you are, this is a good marque to use given reasonable prices, wide availability, clean burning characteristics, and if not a 100% guarantee of being in stock when you need it, not too far from that.

For 223 /55 you can use Viht N133, N135 and the slower burning end N140. All work, but personally I'd recommend N133 for this bullet weight. For the 243 with 'heavies', you'd use Viht N160, or better still IMO slower burning N165.

(With the 243 check the Howa's barrel twist rate against the bullet(s) you have in mind especially 105s. If it's the industry (SAAMI) 1 turn in 10-inches standard rate, it won't fully stabilise boat-tail 105s, maybe also this form in 100gn too depending on their length.)

Viht data for the two cartridges at:

http://www.vihtavuori.com/en/reloading-data/rifle-reloading/rifle-reloading-data.html

Hi Thank You for the info and help.. The howa is on the .223 and the Sako on the 243.. just to clarifyy.. again thanks..

Hi Folks,

Need to pick your brains. I want to start loading my own .223 & .243 and I want to keep it simple. I have a Saka 85 in Stainless / Syn .243.

I want to keep with a 100/105 Grain bullet, for Deer Management and a 55 grain .223 rifle is a Howa 1500 stainelss varmnit for pest control. I will have range days but I am not anal about clover leaving groupage but needs to be consistant and a good group. I know I have to do my bit too.. its not just the powder etc.

would someone be so kind to recommend a powder that would complete all tasks, if possible I dont fancy having various powders if I dont have to.

Thank You Very Much.

Andy

Hi could anyone recommend two powders to use???

For .223, I use N133 to good effect up to and including 60gr V-max. If you have a fast twist and can shoot heavier bullets, N140 is s good choice past 60gr in .223. Both powders are very clean burning. I do find some inconsistencies batch to batch (more with N140, it has to be said) but that's possibly the same with many powders.

Archived