Any .17 WSM Rimfire owners out there??

chaz

As above, When West Mercia Farce get round to sorting my variation, I can collect my Savage .17 WSM B Mag, heavy barrel up from my RFD. Along with the 800 rounds of V-Max I've bought.

I've never owned a Savage, and to be honest, I've not heard many good things about them either... (Bar the long range bench rest version).

I'm aware of the that which promotes growth and vigour stock they come with, (But Boyds will sort that, along with bedding it) and the recall, regarding the bolt pushing the safety off, to fire when cocked. I know about.... not the greatest of reports before collecting it.....

However, it would appear that mine is the later model, with the revised flat bolt, and bolt shroud.

I've also heard the later models have a tighter twist, to cope with the heavier bullets. This i can't confirm as yet....

In all honesty, I'm quite apprehensive of picking it up now....

I'm after some opinions from people who have owned one for a while, or people who have used one for a while. And In both cases, used one for long enough to break the barrel and action in, to give an objective and accurate opinion.

Cheers

Chaz.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to pee on your parade but I can't see this round having much of a future.

The 17's are by nature a niche chambering.

The HMR has got the rimfire market covered, despite it's questionable quality control.

If more zip is needed then reloadable centrefire options such as 17 Hornet, 17 Furball or 17 Rem are the way to go.

Just my opinion.

My choice of the bunch is the 17 Rem.

I will be very interested in your findings , hope it works well for you . Think its very similar to 17 ccm ? May be wrong tho . Atb .

I would be apprehensive too, there won't be more than a handful in the country, ammo supply could be a constant problem, the rifle sounds questionable, if it didn't work out what would the value of a rifle you can't feed be?

Compared to a known good rifle in .17 hornet what are the benefits? Even if you do not intend to reload the price difference to factory hornet ammo, by the time you have sold the once fired cases, won't be much, and the performance is better.

There have been two shipments of rifles from Savage, both have sold out quickly. There are another batch of rifles currently at proof.

There will be another 150k rounds of ammo due from Hornady early November.

This is not a new calibre as such it has been around since 2013.

I would be hoarding ammo with that if I were you

Its the only mainstream rimfire I dont have and even getting Mach2 ammo can be tricky!

The US market also got the 5mm Rem Mag which looks fun

higher pressures

heavier bullets

Shooting 30gr bullets better than the HMR in V, E and Windage

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5mm_Remington_Rimfire_Magnum

5mm_Remington_Rimfire_Magnum.jpg

Thanks for the replies.

They've been around for 2 to 3 years in the US, and there are 1 or possibly 2 other rifle makes in the calibre, but i can't recall them.

Just fancied something different. If it doesn't work out, i'm not too bothered. :)

I would have a 17 WSM tomorrow if you could a decent rifle chambered in it and it was at least as accurate as an HMR, the stories I have read coming out of the US do not speak well of it in the accuracy stakes.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on with it.

I would have a 17 WSM tomorrow if you could a decent rifle chambered in it and it was at least as accurate as an HMR, the stories I have read coming out of the US do not speak well of it in the accuracy stakes.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on with it.

Will do, cheers AnthonyR.

I knew other companies made the .17 WSM, I just couldn't recall them.

From here: http://17wsm.com - not sure about the legitimacy/accuracy of the info on the page but it was about the most info I could find on the interweb re. the 17WSM (which I'm also contemplating instead of HMR atm)

Firearms that are currently on the market and available:

Savage B.MAG – Original thin barrel

Savage B.MAG – Heavy Barrel Stainless

Savage B.MAG – Heavy Barrel Blue Fluted (large retail stores only – ie: Cabela’s)

Savage B.MAG Target (Heavy Barrel Stainless in a Boyds Thumbhole Stock, with slightly different bolt handle)

Ruger 77/17 – Walnut Stock

Winchester 1885 Low Wall

Franklin Armory F17 L AR15

Franklin Armory F 17-V4 (F 17-V4 Upper available as well)

Franklin Armory F 17-M4

MGM and Bullberry Contender Barrels

Volquartsen (Classic, Deluxe and IF-5) semi-auto rifle

JARD J71 AR-15

Obviously most are USA market only. Haven't read much good about the Savage, haven't seen a Ruger for sale in the UK yet so assuming they arent being imported (yet?)?

• 3 weeks later...

From here: http://17wsm.com - not sure about the legitimacy/accuracy of the info on the page but it was about the most info I could find on the interweb re. the 17WSM (which I'm also contemplating instead of HMR atm)

Firearms that are currently on the market and available:

Savage B.MAG – Original thin barrel

Savage B.MAG – Heavy Barrel Stainless

Savage B.MAG – Heavy Barrel Blue Fluted (large retail stores only – ie: Cabela’s)

Savage B.MAG Target (Heavy Barrel Stainless in a Boyds Thumbhole Stock, with slightly different bolt handle)

Ruger 77/17 – Walnut Stock

Winchester 1885 Low Wall

Franklin Armory F17 L AR15

Franklin Armory F 17-V4 (F 17-V4 Upper available as well)

Franklin Armory F 17-M4

MGM and Bullberry Contender Barrels

Volquartsen (Classic, Deluxe and IF-5) semi-auto rifle

JARD J71 AR-15

Obviously most are USA market only. Haven't read much good about the Savage, haven't seen a Ruger for sale in the UK yet so assuming they arent being imported (yet?)?

Still no joy on the return of my fac from West Mercia Police. "2 to 4" weeks has turned into just short of 3 months so far. I've been told it's all been agreed to, it just needs printing, and to give them a call if i hadn't received it in another month! Can't believe how down hill WMP firearms has gone! All i've had so far is a fondle of my rifle and a mooch at the rounds. I have the Savage B.MAG Target (Heavy Barrel Stainless in a Boyds Thumbhole Stock, with slightly different bolt handle). I know Savage aren't the greatest make out there, but i just couldn't find another make in that calibre anywhere. I called Sportsman Gun Centre for a price. They hadn't even heard of the calibre, let alone have any in stock!

I believe the biggest issue with them, were the skinny barreled flimsy plastic stocked version. At least that's what i'm trying to convince myself with! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Well finally my variation arrived, and i collected my rifle, and ammo today.

First impressions, i'm not keen on the rear lugged bolt. The magazine seems to load up fine, although the plastic latch doesn't feel very strong and doesn't inspire confidence. Having checked the barrel is free floating, and it is, so all is good there.

Hopefully i'll get to try it out over the weekend. Needless to say, the Savage stickers will go...

Could someone remind me about breaking in a new barrel? It's been a while..... :blush:

Here's a few pics -

Savage%20rifle%20ammo%20and%20mag.%20Goo

Savage%20side%20of%20gun%20mag%20ammo%20

Savage%20mag%20and%20pack%20of%20ammo.jp

Savage%20bolt.jpg

chaz,

I hope you get good results-the cartridge might just be capable of doing some of the improbable things lesser rimfires have been credited with,more regularly. Let's hope for once,it isn't overhyped on the basis of a few non- reproducible shots. Between 17hmr and 17 Hornet will do nicely.

I'd think quite a few will be intersted in this "new to UK" option.

Re cleaning-with 3000 fps,you might want to check for copper fouling after a session-and essentially follow a cf regime- cleaning every few shots for the first 20 or so,or the first box-better to clean when not really needed that the reverse. Info is sparse-though 17 WSM.com may improve as the rifle(s) and cartridge get going.

gbal

chaz,

I hope you get good results-the cartridge might just be capable of doing some of the improbable things lesser rimfires have been credited with,more regularly. Let's hope for once,it isn't overhyped on the basis of a few non- reproducible shots. Between 17hmr and 17 Hornet will do nicely.

I'd think quite a few will be intersted in this "new to UK" option.

Re cleaning-with 3000 fps,you might want to check for copper fouling after a session-and essentially follow a cf regime- cleaning every few shots for the first 20 or so,or the first box-better to clean when not really needed that the reverse. Info is sparse-though 17 WSM.com may improve as the rifle(s) and cartridge get going.

gbal

Thanks George, Much appreciated.

The weekend weather is looking grim where i am, so will probably by a session next week.

I will take some picks and say exactly as i feel from my point of view on how good i feel the rifle is. Can't be doing with mis-information types...

Cheers

Jamie

I would be hoarding ammo with that if I were you

Its the only mainstream rimfire I dont have and even getting Mach2 ammo can be tricky!

The US market also got the 5mm Rem Mag which looks fun

higher pressures

heavier bullets

Shooting 30gr bullets better than the HMR in V, E and Windage

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5mm_Remington_Rimfire_Magnum

5mm_Remington_Rimfire_Magnum.jpg

I like the look of the 5mm RRM. Is it still available in a commercial rifle over in the UK?

I like the look of the 5mm RRM. Is it still available in a commercial rifle over in the UK?

No.

In 1968 Remington introduced the bottlenecked 5mm rf magnum cartridge in two new b/a rifles (591/2)

Only around 50,000 were produced,very few made it to the UK.Dropped 1974.Some 30,000 Contender pistol barrels too. But it was not a commercial success.

Ammo is rather scarce too,Rem having dropped it1982,though Aguila promised a sightly modified "Centurion" branded run in 2008 as follows:not likely to be UK available ....

30g @2300fps 100y 0/3.1 200y -10.3/14.1 drop/drift " 10mph wind. That's 20g HRFM ballistics,though the 5 mm had more energy(350 ft lb ME rather than 250).

I'd think it's a bit of a challenge even in much of US,and effectively a non starter here-fine rf though it was (but later developments eclipse it as a practicable option) except for the fortunate afficionado).

gbal

No.

In 1968 Remington introduced the bottlenecked 5mm rf magnum cartridge in two new b/a rifles (591/2)

Only around 50,000 were produced,very few made it to the UK.Dropped 1974.Some 30,000 Contender pistol barrels too. But it was not a commercial success.

Ammo is rather scarce too,Rem having dropped it1982,though Aguila promised a sightly modified "Centurion" branded run in 2008 as follows:not likely to be UK available ....

30g @2300fps 100y 0/3.1 200y -10.3/14.1 drop/drift " 10mph wind. That's 20g HRFM ballistics,though the 5 mm had more energy(350 ft lb ME rather than 2500)

I'd think it's a bit of a challenge even in much of US,and effectively a non starter here-fine rf though it was (but later developments eclipse it as a practicable option) except for the fortunate afficionado).

gbal

That's a shame.

Cheers George.

Have i made a BIG mistake? Or do i have a friday afternoon gun.....

I settled on a stainless heavy barrel, laminated thumbhole stock version of my .17 WSM.
The gun functions great, and feels nice in the hands, and the triggers good. However, i seem to be having problems with accuracy. I've been shooting with a bipod, and a rear bad.
Granted, I've only put 35 rounds through it, with my moderator attached. The mod has been on numerous guns, and has performed great...
I shot 10 initial shots, in strings of 5. Cleaning after each shot. Then several strings of 5 shots, then cleaning.
I then shot 3 strings of 5 shots, (without cleaning) and got totally crap groups! The best was 1 1/2" across at 100 yards... And the second was similar. I'm beginning to think I've made a mistake buying the rifle! Is it as i didn't clean the bore enough before shots, or have i bought a "Dud" friday afternoon rifle? frown.gif It was a little windy, but no more than gusting 5 to 10 mph.... I intend to try again on a calm day, with and without the moderator... First, with the moderator, then without. Then with another mod i have....Some words of help would be much appreciated folks....
Thanks.

chaz,

most field grade factory rimfires will barely hold 1 moa at 100y;and a 5 mph wind fluctuation could easily add as much (a 10 mph wind will drift a 17HMR 3.4inches at 100,so an understimate/change of 5 mph means nearly 2 inches for that shot): the 17 WSM will still be vulnerable at least an inch if that wind isn't read right.

As you say,the only worthwhile test is to shoot on a calm day,with good rifle support,and a decent sample-as you did.

Your ' shooting in 'regime seems fine-and some rifles take a while to settle.

As you are probably aware,there isn't much well controlled comparative test shooting on this cartridge as yet...

Good that otherwise,the rifle seems to fit.....

gbal

Archived