Any experience with Lapua 155 gn Scenar L with Swiss Reload RS50?

DutchTRG22

Rs40 was good with 155 grainers.i used 41.5grs that gave 2900 fps.a mate ran his 155gr scenars on 42.5gr.i chronied one and I had 3000 fps.he had another load up again and I didn't try them.we chronied his 42.5gr load in his remmy and we got 2825fps.his is years old and done lots of thousands of shots.

Rs40 was good with 155 grainers.i used 41.5grs that gave 2900 fps.a mate ran his 155gr scenars on 42.5gr.i chronied one and I had 3000 fps.he had another load up again and I didn't try them.we chronied his 42.5gr load in his remmy and we got 2825fps.his is years old and done lots of thousands of shots.

That's really quite impressive. I knew that RS propellants gave better velocities for similar or lower pressures than Vhit, but didn't realise it was by that margin.

I'm using 43.1gr N140 with 155g smks and getting 2650 fps (24 inch barrel, 1/11 twist). For longer range, I need to get the velocities up a bit but this seems to be a very accurate load out to 400m.

Use RS's own data, here:

http://www.propellants.co.uk/reload-swiss-load-data.html

As it jumps from 150s to the 168gn Sierra MK, use the data for the latter heavier bullet and you get a maximum load of 46gn which is fine for all 155s. The suggested starting load of 39gn, a reduction of over 15% from maximum is too great though. Start around 42gn and work up from there.

RS50 is very well suited to 308 and 155-175gn bullets, gives good results and is relatively cool burning.

RS40 is a much faster burning 'high-energy' (infused nitroglycerin molecules) powder, burns far hotter (reduces barrel life significantly) and has limited applications in 308 Win. It is Nitrochemie's canister version of the propellant used in the Swiss military 5.56 StG90 cartridge, and whilst it can be used in 308 should be limited to 155gn weight bullets. It will give 155s exceptionally high MVs but requires a good deal of care in load development and will cane the barrel.

Thank you all for you replies. @Laurie I'll work it up from 42gn RS50. I used that load before with the standard 155 gn Lapua Scenars.

I don't know what to expext from those Scenar L, but I'm really curious what they will do in my 20 Inch Sako barrel

Thank you all for you replies. @Laurie I'll work it up from 42gn RS50. I used that load before with the standard 155 gn Lapua Scenars.

I don't know what to expext from those Scenar L, but I'm really curious what they will do in my 20 Inch Sako barrel

There doesn't appear to be any difference between the 'ordinary' 155gn Scenar and 'L' version other than the latter having even higher production standards applied to it. AFAIK no differences apply to handloading the pair.

Archived