DSC range test

FISHBOY

Hi,

Have zeroed my .243 in at 100m and must admit im very impressed with the results using 100gr Federal Powershok.

Thing is, I have my DSC coming up and when at the range zeroing I didn't have time to find out where a 40m shot at centre would go. I know it will be high using the 100m zero and within the 4" DSC zone, but just wondered how high as I would like to group as close as possible.

Any experience greatly received.

post-15231-0-02659000-1473403262_thumb.jpg

If your local keepers like the Federal 100g Soft Point (243B) ammunition,and you like your test results,seems fine-as ever,individual rifles can have individual preferences....but no reason not to continue with it.

Here are the SAAMI specs on it (24 " barrel,60,000psi,1 in 10 twist): drop/drift " 10 mph wind:

Fed 100g SP BC.358 @2960fps

muzzle -1.5/0 100y +1.6/.8 200y 0/3.5 300y -7.9/8.4 400y -22/15.6 Energy muzzle 1945ftlb;100y 1615;200y 1330;300y 1090.

This is of course with a 200y zero (POA=POI at 200y). You can get close 'pro rata' but really need a test shot to check.

There are other options for 100g ammo-Norma SP,LapuaSP,Fed SGK;Fed Nos Part; etc;but they are all very similar being around 2980 fps,tho' BC varies a bit (bullet design);with 200 zero,100y is about +1.6" high and 300 -8" low as above....,bearing in mindrifle variation too.

Since mentioned for fox:

Hornady 58 Vmax BC .252 @3750 muzzle -1.5;100y +.8/.9;200y 0/3.9;300y -5/9.2;energy 1811;1409;1090,833 respectively.

So it is a little flatter-but offset that with probably different accuracy and POI,and it may not be any advantage given the probable adjustments needed when changing the ammo..

Much to be said for a single competent ammo,so long as it performs acceptably - I'd suggest stay with the Fed 100g

(If it were a dedicated fox only tool,there would be an excellent case for the 58g only load).

Hope this helps-you seem to have ammo your rifle likes,so far...try to adjust for whatever zero you wish (a good idea is to zero at the most likely stalking distance,and of course know the minor adjusts for a slightly longer shot,if terrain presents.) If shots tend to be 200 ish,zero at 200y (for a woodland roe rifle a 100 zero might be more suited).

If you shoot with a keeper,maybe be in synch with his zero-so any advice on a shot hold is close enough-but to 250y approx,there should not be a lot in it,with sensible zeros (100,150,200)

" When in Rome,do what the well informed Romans do"- so long as it's effects are experience based,and well informed ballistically!

This probably holds for the ultima thule north of Hadrians Wall (or at least it used to!)

gbal

Fishboy

Two points -

• As stated above at 40m you will be low.
  • Find out what the actual shooting test is on your DSC 1 course - both target type and ranges it's shot at and then practice for the specifics of your test.

Regards

JCS

Sorry, my bad for the poor wording - meant I know I will have to aim high to compensate. Going to go 1/2" high.

Test is 100m prone, 70m kneeling and 40m standing.

Would love to test again but wont have a chance before hand.

cheers for the input

FB,

Measure your scope height then go online and enter your rifle and ammo's set up to produce a 'drop table'

This will give you an indication of how much you will need to hold over at each of the two intermediate distances for the DCS

dropping basic numbers into JBM gives at 70m - don't worry, at 40m aim about 1/2" higher : http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi

T

You won't need to worry about aiming high or low on the DSC test, the target area is quite big and you can't see the edges of it anyway, designed to simulate shooting at a real deer.

It's not hard, you shooting looks easily good enough so I wouldn't worry about it. :)

There was no "practice" on my recent DSC1 - straight in to the initial 3 shots prone into a 4inch target at 100m, (three attempts) then the deer target at 100m prone, 70m sticks standing and 40m sitting.

I wish I had used the quad sticks provided for the last two as the nerves kicked in.

With my .223 zeroed at 200m, my 40m zero was at original zero as Strelok and being on the farm in the piddling rain at 05.00 on the test morning to double check ranges proved.

We shot two up and the most difficult part was defining your own aim point / heart / lung kill zone - as second gun - and not to shoot into the holes of the first shooter !!

Good luck.

Don't worry about the shooting test , I did and i shouldn't have. Kill zone on the deer target is pretty huge when you see it . My advice is to make sure your first shots fired from prone position hit just above dead centre of the kill zone then use one of your bullet holes to aim at and not to worry about them going slightly low.

I did this test a few years ago, as follows:

1. Reset my zero to100yds from my ususal choice of 200yds

2. Paid attention to where the 'kill-zone' was on the black, featureless roe target.

3. Held 'on' at all ranges, concentrating on shooting technique.

1/2" here or there should make no difference.

In summary, don't over-think it: shoot straight at the right bit of the deer using good consistent technique, and it should all go well.

Kill zone on the deer for the 6 shots is more 6" high x 8" wide

You have to put 3 shots in 4" to qualify to shoot the 3 positions on the deer aim up the back of the front leg mid way in the body there is no aim mark visible

You have 3 attempts at each in the day

I passed even tho my scope rail was loose . Didn't find out till I got home and stripped it down to see why it was so poor in grouping even with the pass .

Having done mine quite a few years ago now but remembering it like it was yesterday, work on all the theory and remember all the safety aspects of the simulated stalk. If you have the luxery of a printed colour target as I did then dont worry about holdever etc as you make the shots more complex than they need to be. Focus on the exact point where you know the kill zone is on the target (even with the best glass you will not see the target on it), relax and nake sure you follow through. You will be pleasently surprised at your results.

Cheers gents.

Confident in my shooting ability - just hate being tested. Hope the nerves don't kick in :unsure:

Someone mentioned quad sticks - I got a Primos tripod which I use to fox and rabbit with when on foot, not conventional but very useful bit of kit to use to ensure a humane hit, take it I will be allowed to use it.

Fishboy,

Your shooting is fine,judging by your zeroed at 100 targets.

Ballistics and all the advice here says there should be no problem keeping inside the modest group needed.

Be sure though to check where the kill zone is on the unmarked deer silhouette,and try to have a clear idea of your aim point for that kill zone.

If you have any concerns about the use of (your) sticks,just phone the organisers and ask them-DSC is not about problem solving under stress and pressure,but a sample of your normal abilities-and that should not include concerns about your gear being acceptable. Guidline is you show your competence,not get put on the rack!

Ask,be reassured,read up the book stuff.

gbal

• 1 month later...

Hardest part I found was the deer ID as the pictures are not great quality.

Yes, they had a sneaky on one mine. Arse on picture of a roe buck dashing across a ride so blurred picture - but no antlers. Happy to say I got that.

Highlight for me was the Highlander who had not put an answer in one box. Instructor came and told him he was border line but as he had "forgotten" to fill in one answer he would let him "fill in" his answer. Boy said he wasn't sure so he had not filled it in.

Looking at the picture....

Instructor: Is it a large deer or a small deer ?

Idiot: Large

Instructor: How can you tell which sex it is?

Idiot: It has large antlers so it is male?

Instructor: Good, so what species is it?

Idiot: Not sure...

Instructor: What colour is it ?

Idiot: Red

Instructor: So what species is it?

Idiot: Not sure..

Instructor: Go on take a guess... :D

He passed.

This is north of Inverness, it was not the first red surely to god.

Yes, they had a sneaky on one mine. Arse on picture of a roe buck dashing across a ride so blurred picture - but no antlers. Happy to say I got that.

Highlight for me was the Highlander who had not put an answer in one box. Instructor came and told him he was border line but as he had "forgotten" to fill in one answer he would let him "fill in" his answer. Boy said he wasn't sure so he had not filled it in.

Looking at the picture....

Instructor: Is it a large deer or a small deer ?

Idiot: Large

Instructor: How can you tell which sex it is?

Idiot: It has large antlers so it is male?

Instructor: Good, so what species is it?

Idiot: Not sure...

Instructor: What colour is it ?

Idiot: Red

Instructor: So what species is it?

Idiot: Not sure..

Instructor: Go on take a guess... :D

He passed.

This is north of Inverness, it was not the first red surely to god.

Ha ha - good show - my assessor was a lot cagier. Probably as I didn't do the course - just the assessment.

Talking of sneaky stuff - on the safety assessment in the woods - the assessor hid a second deer cut out behind the other. Now I know part of the test is a humane shot and not to shoot a deer with another behind, but this was super super sneaky as it was exactly shadowed behind the first cut out, with the only sign there was two was the fact that the cut out had 5 legs!!!! Clocked it though ;)

Archived