.338LM Barrel length - How short is too short?

Grum87

Sitting waiting on a 1 for 1 coming back - hopefully with a slot for a .338 to blast away with at Warcop....

I've various options to explore, from factory rifles like AI, Sako, DTA's, etc, aswell as a custom build, or semi custom.

Having a glance around gunstar and guntrader comes up with a couple of items, one of which a factory Remington Police in 338....but it's cut at 24".

Putting the Remington QC lottery aside(my experiences have been good, your mileage may vary), what sort of drop in performance would one see in a 24" tube over say a 26" or even 28" tube?

As much as I'd love something very, very nice - this is going to be a rifle that comes out 3 or 4 times a year most likely, so a factory rifle that is half the price(yes, I am aware you get what you pay for ;)) of the others, and still considerably cheaper than the custom route, is an attractive option.

Is anyone running such a beast at 24"? Or had any experience with one?

Grum, I have an Ai AXMC with factory 25" barrel ( not 27") which shoots 250 grain Scenars very well at 830 m/s with Viht N165, a mild load.

I tried 300 grain Scenars but was getting pressure signs as low as 750 m/s with Viht N165. My feeling is that if you want to use 300 grain pills 27" or 28" will be as low as you want to go to get any ballistic advantage out of it and better 30" with a slower powder (N170).

Using 250 grain pills you trade speed for portability with barrel length , 20" feels lovely but 25" gives me the velocity I want without killing the barrel.

Hi Grum

Like anything long range the longer the better my .338 is a custom Surgeon built by Baldie has 30 inch one in ten and stabilises a 300 grain Scenar @2790 fps as Swaro says his mates hits a figure 12 at 1800 yards with a 250 grain lock base so pretty impressive, another member on here is running a custom Barnard with a 32 inch Barrel I know Barrats come up now and the not to pricey, I am currently using n170 and 300 grain Scenars and reloading for les than a pound, my lapua brass has been reloaded six times and I have only has one split neck good luck with your search.

Rgds Paul

I have one.Compared various 338 lapuas a couple of years ago. If memory serves 3 Remington MLRs, two savages, sako, two AIs, and one custom build. Custom gun had a 30" all chronograph within half hour with same ammo Black Hills 300smk and HSM 300smk. Average loss per inch was 18fps. All 3 Remington MLRs shot sub 1/2 moa.

Thanks for the input so far guys.

So far, while the extra cash will hurt, I'm edging towards holding off and going longer....

I have a mate with a desert tech covert with a 338 and 243 barrel. The overall length of the rifle is 27 inches and I think the barrel is around 20 inches. He has only shot 243 with factory ammo but it is incredibly accurate. They are not cheap rifles though!

I suspect the met's requirements are a little different to mine for the most part though ;)

18-20" is probably great for smacking hard targets in an urban environment. Maybe not so much trying to lay the hurt on steel at 1500+?

Well,just for fun...it will hurt a bit still,but the issue is connecting in wind...

MIght the 338LM (250@2960) lose about 35 fps per inch (guestimate)...if so the 20 incher will be giving something like (2960-200) fpsMV ie 2760 with 250g,and correspondingly less at 1000y on out (full loading is 1700fps left and some51 inch 10 mph drift,so well down on that....

One answer might seem the 338/50 Talbot,launching 250g at 3700 with 7500 ft lb (ouch!!) but that was with a 44 inch barrel....the 340 WM gives 250@2850,26"barrel.

QuickLoad says that of this additional 850 fps, 581 fps comes from the longer barrel...and the 340WM should acieve 3350fps with the 44"......and the 338Lapua...? So it seems even the 27" Lapua is short changed in it's barrel.

Think though 250 of the above rounds before throat erosion in the above Talbot loading;let alone what spectaculars the Talbot might produce with 300g/much slower powders-and ceramic barrel liners... :-)

gbal

• 3 weeks later...

You are overlooking one vital point.

Shoot a 20" .338 with a brake on.

Then book in at the dentists. Also get a bulk pack of paracetamol.

A muzzle brake that close to your swede will give you recoil concussion in fairly short order.

Been there, done that, won't do it again.

I suspect the met's requirements are a little different to mine for the most part though ;)

18-20" is probably great for smacking hard targets in an urban environment. Maybe not so much trying to lay the hurt on steel at 1500+?

They have a requirement for shooting out to around 300M across Airport aprons, with the ability to penetrate aircraft windscreens etc with ammunition that is barrier blind.

A shorter barrel will no doubt suffice, and also give them the ability to get in and out of places with something a bit handier.

Fred McBunnybasher that just goes to FFA's on the weekend to blat at KD and fixed targets on a UKD range doesn't need those requirements

• 3 weeks later...

I have a DTA SRS in .338 with a 26" barrel and brake. Using N570 and 300gr SMK I get about 2750fps. the load is mild enough to put over 200 rounds through it during a 2 day visit to Wales shooting plates out to 2100 yards. I have to admit it's not nice for the person shooting next to you but for the person behind the butt it really is not too bad at all. I think the overall length of the setup is less than 40" with the .338 barrel and about 36" with the .308 barrel.

Archived