300yds mcqueens

Try hitting a Fig.14 at 600 yards in the wind and rain, saying that quite s few did on Saturday.

I heard the weather was horrible at bisley for the RBL match John.not sure what time it started at bisley but at Bath and surrounding areas it started at around 11am and the heavens opened up.i was talking to achim this morning and he said he had a job to see the targets at 600yds with the rain on the lenses.i went shopping for a prezzy for my wife's 50th birthday and got drenched myself.came home and took the dog out in it as I was so wet it didn't matter.i'd love to have a crack at a 600yds mcqueens .it use to be my best distance for snap shooting.i was pleased with my PB.

Well done Neil.

How much did the wind whirl them at 1000y,compared to say,the WSM guy with the scope you liked?

g

hi George.i think I was on about 7.5 moa windage at 1000yds and the the 140gr loads were doing 2900fps if my chrony is correct.there was a good stiff wind blowing.I was testing ammo really.tried 140gr amaxs.130gr vlds.142gr smks.139gr scenars.all seemed pretty good.the scenars windage was the worst but it's hard to call as I don't know where they would shoot in relation to how they would be zeroed.the chap using the 300 wsm was on 4 moa but I am not sure if or how much he was aiming off.wind was stronger than when I was shooting.he did say he gave this shot 2 moa as the wind really got up and his shot was about 4 moa right of where he said he aimed.elevations was superb

Well done Neil.

How much did the wind whirl them at 1000y,compared to say,the WSM guy with the scope you liked?

g

the scope on the 300 wsm was a 66 mag March scope.it was on 40 mag when I looked through.i didn't give the scope much thought.i liked how steady the dot was when you lined up the crosshairs on the target with the joystick.almost too easy

Thanks,Neil-what sort of shot dispersion (group) did you see at 1000,given .5 moa at 100?

For those who have not used a coaxial (joystick) front rest,with a 'proper' rear bag,and a 40x+ scope, and a fine crosshair/dot, it will all seem a revelation in precision and ease-and it is.Downside is weight - there is always a trade off between weight and stability-the seb joypod is ok,but not as steady -esp.for heavy rigs/recoilers-as the big Seb,Farley etc nearing 20 lb.

Setting the dot consistently precisely and wobble free, helps of course-dispersion starts from the same POA-but the wind still plays it's standard havoc with estimated shooting solutions (clicks/holdoffs) -some cartridges reduce this error. eg below:

Did you see the recent new Norwegian Long Range 'record' hits at 2165metres (1.345 miles);

338Lapua,89g V570 300g Scenar @2674 fps;AXMC 27" barrel. 95x100cm plate (37x39")

Sequence was shots at 1639,1710,1850 m 4/10 hits; then 2165m 2/10 hits......ding dong .

It's worth a look too at the recent UK record group,to see shot dispersal on subsequent relays in different conditions......

...and this is with the good guys shooting.

g

Hi George.

As I was was adjusting elevation and windage on my ammo test with most of the loads.I couldnt give an exact dispersion.eg even though the 130gr vlds had around the same elevations on the bal cal I put a couple over the top of the backer as they actually shot approx 4 moa higher.i had to aim at bottom of roundal target to keep top edge of roundal.140 gr amax.139gr scenars and 142gr smk probaly shot inside 1 foot.i was using a bipod and rear bag.elevation goodish.windage as usual you chase.not as good as the 300 wsm for sure.shame I couldn't of tried his rear bag and seb type rest and see how much better it could be.only having 20 mag scope against 40 mag is also less precise.i am hoping my 284 will shoot like the 300 wsm.yes please

I've got a 338 lap mag on my fac but I can't see myself bothering to get one now.i think I will get a 6mm br instead.i don't seem to be able to fit all the available range days in being a member of 2 clubs.i just realised my fcsa membership has expired.ive had no emails to remind me.i only managed 3 days in fcsa shoot since i joinedp.sailsbury plain shoot is more a 50 cal shoot.they are great to watch but that blast is real bad.definately not a calibre I would go for.

• 1 month later...

300yds Mcqueens yesterday.zeroed perfect off a rear bag.did the cof.i shot bang on line about a 2 inch group 2 inches low of vbull.i had no v's.6a's and 4 B's. I didn't get chance to check zero again before next cof.aimed 2 inches high of vbull.had 2v's 7a"s and a miss apparently. Was probaly a shoot though. 3rd go 1v 6a 3c.not one of my best days

• 2 weeks later...

Yes get in there.using my 6.5x47 with 139gr scenar load I got a awesome pb of 6v's 4 a's. You beauty.no rear bag either

PB..that's good shooting.

Holes in huns are definitive; fps,coal ,BC and whatnot can be a load of bosch :-)

g

Hi bri it's the regular mcqueens target that I am aware of.fred C. from bradders winning Methuen team witnessed the score amongst others.am still stunned myself.i zeroed off rear bag as usual.shot first cof to find I shot 2 inches low and when I noticed the bullet holes started aiming higher.score wasn't great.second go I a aimed 2 inches high of vbull.that score wasn't great either so I rezeroed without a rear sandbag that went great.this time I could see a ragged hole forming and kept banging them in there.when results were radioed back I was over the moon.no more rear bags.ive found this every time I've shot mcqueens be it 300yds or 200yds.learnt for sure the poi changes considerably. This 6v's 4a's at 300yds has trumped my 6v's 4a's at 200yds.this is prone without a rear bag.i do use my hand though.chuffed to bits.

you need help,5 points either way and you have never got near my best score at 1000y snaps even with two new barrels and your life savings on load development? anyway how much for Sausage

rgds Paulx

Archived