Humane despatch

Savage Steve

Hi guys

A bit of advice really.

In my area there are fallow RTAs and obviously Muntie ,fox badger etc. I've been called out by local people who know I'm a shooter to despatch them, the aggro is ringing Police etc so I've decided to put my name forward to police for call outs. I have permission (written ) from local farmers to enter their land for Humane despatch and have spoken with a couple of game keepers in the next county who advise a hand gun rather than a rifle because of potential ricochet .

Any advice on procedure, courses etc would be appreciated.

Cheers S.S.

BDS run a humane dispatch course, personally I'd use a shotgun (cheap folding .410 for example), less hassle to get than a handgun. If it can't be dispatched with that then another shot with a suitable rifle.

Hi Bud,

Last time I dispatched one I had do gooders wanting to call a vet, the Fallow had a broken back and was dragging itself along on its front legs, if I'm putting my name up I need a quick despatch without mess or ricochet. I believe a hand gun is the best way and dare I say looks more professional.

Thanks for the input.

S.S.

Steve, Interesting. I've just completed my DSC1 and the issue came up.

I can beat seven bells out of a deer with a lump hammer, stab it to death with a knife, use a shotgun - as there is no "condition" reference its use - but cannot use my deer centrefire as I do not have "Humane dispatch" on my ticket.

Then there is the issue of shooting on a highway, or in an adjacent field without the owner's consent. You have the latter.

This apart from upsetting Mrs Smith and her three brattos crying on the side of the road having trashed Bambi with their private plate Range Rover, who then makes a complaint about distress.

Having just seen two of Essex' finest standing groin height in close proximity to a wounded stag on the Epping Road (doh, not so clever !) I wouldn't trust them to cover your arse.

Good luck. IMHO, this is an issue a vet can deal with. Call me a do gooder if you like !

Hi Steve

Yes BDS do a course, Jelen also do an excellent HADO course, with practical shooting included - good eye opener. Get yourself on one of these courses ( i can vouch for Jelen being outstanding)

There is more to it than choosing the correct tool - there is alot to do with the law, managing incidents, managing police and getting them to manage the public.

There is lots of fascinating info to guide you through this maze (and it is a maze).

By the way first thing you do is get an Incident number from the police ...

next thing is look after your self, your safety, your legal status.

good luck with the course, i dont do humane despatch even though i have the ticket - I would spend a year at least with mentor if I chose to though ;)

Most use a shotgun 12G anyway (it's what I would use having seen its effect on a roe deer head at close range as on the course, and the potential to ricochet, however its a toolbox and each incident will be different, and will require a different approach (hence the caution I referred to regarding mentor)

regards

Andrew

I'd have thought you'd be better off with a combination gun. Centrefire rifle and 12g. Then no matter where the deer is you can shoot it. A handgun bullet will still ricochet, probably more so than a light centrefire round. Shotguns are by far the safest for close shots.

A handgun is a great thought, but when you combine their lack of longer range accuracy and their ability to fire a heavy bullet that can and will bounce rather than break up, it wouldn't be my tool of choice. Top marks for the cool factor, and there may be times when it is handy, but generally I think there are better ways.

We can all talk about humane dispatch until the cows come home but most don't realise what the legal situation is .

Ok you have you farmer whos land you shoot on and says I have a cow going mad in a field and I need it shooting....well that is not humane dispatch. I have a bull threatening folk, that is not humane dispatch.....some might think it is but it is not,

You might have the same farmer with an injured cow who cannot be bothered to phone the vet in order to dispatch a cow...once again it is not humane dispatch. Injured dogs , cats , badgers you name it do not count.

What counts is what is on your certificate and even then it has to be for example a cow with an injury

.....a farmer saying oh its an old cow I want rid of it does not cut it. ....it is not injured it is not humane dispatch.

As for calibres , most forces wont allow rifles for HMD , Most will allow a shotgun.....but you can do that anyway with no problems or if you have good reason a 2 shot pistol.

Some will say we will let you have a .32 cal for example.....well try finding ammo.

Or if they allow large....do you really need a .45 cal...

A shotgun or a modified shotgun on your FAC will do the job,,,,,

I spoke to a chap a few years back , his job was putting down injured horses and i think at the Cheltenham races and probably other venues , he had a .45 acp and i dont recall that it was restricted , to me it makes sence to have a caliber like that for a few reasons , its humane thats priority , cheap available ammo and in sub sonic which is perfect for the areas that he worked , just my thoughts.

Legal minefield. Don't expose yourself to it. Ever.

This.

Don't count on the police to cover your back if something goes wrong at an RTA for humane dispatch, splendid chaps that they no doubt are. There was a case a few years ago of a chap putting a deer down using a knife to bleed it out...quick and effective. He was video'd by do gooders standing by the side of the road with their phones and subsequently a case (RSPCA?) was brought against him for causing undue suffering. There was another where two police officers went for a tyre iron to dispatch a deer with serious injuries, and one of them was prosecuted too.

Then there's the scenario where you turn up with your folding 410 after being called out, to find a large group standing round a wounded animal. You ask the police to move people back a reasonable distance and you dispatch the wounded critter. Within minutes you're on Face-tube receiving death threats, or something goes wrong and some of the shot ricochets 20 yds off the road and injures someone.

It's a totally thankless task, with legal grey areas and the only reward is risk. And people WANT to be listed on a police humane dispatch register?

Most racecourse guns are 9mm Parabellum, used with subsonic ammo, and moderated.

The tent goes up, and the public is non the wiser.

I,ve seen many animals humanely despatched with a .32 calibre pistol. We used it on cows and horses in the kennels. It is more than adequate.

Most people I know who have one for deer, have it for the kudos if I,m honest. I can't think of a worse tool to despatch a horned and angry animal with. You have to be very close indeed to be accurate.

totally agree!

never understood why you can shoot a deer with a 6mm but need a 38sp/357 to shoot them at close quarters!

Apart from the extra weight of a bloody great pistol whilst out stalking!

my father was the race course vet at Newcastle for years and also knocked down everything from Bulls to Shire horses with a Greener humane killer shooting .310 bullets.
All about where you put them

H3925-L14086045.jpg

All very well offering opinion but having been in the unfortunate position of having to dispatch a deer that I followed up into a rocky area where the potential self harm from the ricochet of a high velocity 6mm bullet was a reality, I found myself wanting a handgun very badly and it would have been much more of a preferable tool than the knife I was forced to use on a wounded buck.For the avoidance of doubt and by way of further explanation the deer was shot through the engine room with a bullet that exited the beast and I had no idea how long it would take to expire.

There is in my opinion certain circumstances where an individual can justify the use of such a tool.

I was on it in the SE over 20 years ago. I was called out to deer that had disappeared when I turned up. Suspect gypsies took it, deer that ran off and couldn't be found, deer that had been taken to the vets to "give them a chance" (which later died or had to be put down) and the last time I bothered going out, an injured buck lying in a blackthorn hedge police had called me out but couldn't attend I turned up and passers by rolling out of the local pub at 11pm on bicycles were hanging around. I didn't bother getting my rifle out, I got back in my car and went home. They were do gooders dead agajnst any humae dispatch. That was in the days before smartphones. It can only be much worse now. I wouldn't bother. The police are all for our help because we are free. I was told that if they call out a vet they get charged.

Archived