Tikka T3 bolt shroud- worth replacing

Hi,

I've recently watched Richard Utting's video on youtube where he replaces the bolt shroud with a steel replacement.

He says that they make a reasonable amount of difference on bolt "throwing" and with how the bolt is centered in the action.

Is this something worth replacing, will it have a positive effect on accuracy?

Thanks

Austin

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's certainly worth replacing, mainly because the plastic ones have a habit of breaking. Some metal replacements are better than others, but in my experience (3x T3s between my son and I) the shroud sold by Vert*brae in Norway - usually available on Fleabay - are the best.

I'm not aware of the metal shrouds making any great difference to the centering or throw of the bolt, but the Norwegian shrouds certainly work very well on all three of our Tikkas.

Only reason I'd replace the plastic one would be if it is broken or if one fits a three pos. safety.

On an US Forum someone mentioned that a metal shroud might be safe if a case ruptures an gases escape out the back. It might be. ?

Don't all T3x have metal shrouds?

edi

Someone brought a metal shrouded T3 into my workshop a week or so ago. Although it looked nice it rattled about badly on the bolt and wasn't as good a fit as the standard plastic one. I fitted a spring into the bottom of the shroud and replaced it, the tension the spring provided made the fit so much better and the rattling stopped immediately.

Big Al,

The one which the Richard Utting used came with a spring, which he said stopped it wobbling however he also said it increased the trigger pull. This is why I thought it played some roll, eg increasing lock time, or centering the bolt!

Thanks

Austin

The Australian-made shrouds sold on ebaY are inclined to rattle, whereas the Norwegian ones do not with no need for a spring.

The choice is yours - we use Vert*brae shrouds on our T3s with no adverse effects, you don't have to.

Big Al,

The one which the Richard Utting used came with a spring, which he said stopped it wobbling however he also said it increased the trigger pull. This is why I thought it played some roll, eg increasing lock time, or centering the bolt!

Thanks

Austin

I guess how powerful the spring was would determine any effect it might have, neither myself or the owner of the rifle seemed to notice any difference when we tested it, then again we weren't looking for whether or not it had increased trigger pull weight. Without a spring I wouldn't swap from the plastic one, the sloppy fit was far too annoying.

I've owned tikka for 13 to 14 years.never saw the need to change the bolt shroud

Same here, until mine broke. Replaced with an anodised aluminium one which has a weak spring in the base, can't say I've noticed any difference in bolt operation or trigger weight increase

Looked at a non broken shroud lying around yesterday. It is certainly not abs but i could not figure out what it could be. Burnt corner smelt a bit like rubber. Maybe they tried different materials over time.

Edi

I will no longer fit them.

Reason ?

Half the ones customers have supplied, from various sources all did the same thing.....had an adverse affect on accuracy .

How ?

Work it out guys.

Archived