Some 'how to' tips about getting into long range

varminter

Hi all hope i did not uppset folks with my article on 18th dec about long range shooting ,just thought someone might of made a quote,We long range shooters should be organising some busmans holidays and getting some tips from each other Shuggie

Hi Shuggie,I'm sure there will be some posts.

I thought what you said was honest,ethical,and good advice.And all the more impressive from a BooBoo (or Yogi) shooter!

There are non custom rifles that will shoot .5 moa,as I'm sure we shall hear.Your point about the non linear group size is typiclly missed though.A .5 moa (6mm,80g@3000fps) rifle at 100 yards will not shoot reliable 2.5 inch groups at 500y(which might be where long range begins,rather than ends).It's more like a 4-5 inch dispersion.The near 100% hit rate for such a rifle on clays,is about 250 yards (assumes no shooting error)

This does make some assumptions-eg that wind reading will be out by 2mph (in 10mph),but also the small,but sometimes cumulative unavoidable physics/field factors/variables. If anyone has doubts,do the math(s),or easier,just accept Brian Litz's math.

Of course,many shooting performances will be better-much better on occasions...but the bottom line remains.

So,thanks for raising this-it needs some discussion,given some of the claims made on occasions-note,there is a lot of real (competition) data...such as Fclass at 600y.

Gbal

• 7 months later...

great post. just started shooting long-range varmints myself. have a factory howa 1500 in 223 with a very cheap scope. can hit rabbits at 350 yards or so but after that to much guessing and the reticle in the scope is to big, the dot in the middle of the scope is like a football at 350 yards lol. getting a new scope zeiss conquest hd5 5-25x50 and a leica 1600b rangefinder, that should get me out another hundered yards or so. :)

great post. just started shooting long-range varmints myself. have a factory howa 1500 in 223 with a very cheap scope. can hit rabbits at 350 yards or so but after that to much guessing and the reticle in the scope is to big, the dot in the middle of the scope is like a football at 350 yards lol. getting a new scope zeiss conquest hd5 5-25x50 and a leica 1600b rangefinder, that should get me out another hundered yards or so. :)

These scopes are awsome almost bought 1 but had to remember that iv got NXS 5-22x56 so didnt , i just wanted something different on new build . You need 2nd focal plane and if your dialing the normal plex reticule id say , the varmint and 800 , 1000 reticule have too many lines going on - IF you dial , atb-tim

thats what i thought, yes just the normal plex reticle and in 2nd focal plane. this is my first dialing scope so looking forward to it. havnt had a chance to look through one tho, so hope it will work nicely on little bunnys at 500 yards or so. the reticle should be fine anof for that and a bit of long range target shooting. if anybody has a looking throu the scope veiw of that plex redicle would be nice. thanks.

• 1 year later...

thats what i thought, yes just the normal plex reticle and in 2nd focal plane. this is my first dialing scope so looking forward to it. havnt had a chance to look through one tho, so hope it will work nicely on little bunnys at 500 yards or so. the reticle should be fine anof for that and a bit of long range target shooting. if anybody has a looking throu the scope veiw of that plex redicle would be nice. thanks.

Sean , i bought one sometime back now , it looks clear , crisp , reticule looks medium thickness ( Z-plex ) , recon it will be good for bunnys and crow out to past 500 i recon :) ok i have only looked thru it and played with turrets , im waiting for 6BR slot to come back ( thats wat its goin on ) , thats going to be my crow fox and First deer gun :)

• 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...