Some 'how to' tips about getting into long range

varminter

This writeup is intended to help those new to long-range varminting or those that are seasoned shooters who would like to have a go!!!!!!!

First off when we decide to control pests at long range there are ethical issues , but we are not going to go into this because we are going to go into what we need to do to make ourselves , our rifle / load combo the best it can be and to make use of the kit available to make this humane!!!!!

Now when the pests are rabbits / pigeons and corvids , a hit with a centerfire rifle will be lethal..........

If you still have ethical issues with this then its simple , please do not do it!!!!!

Now back to the equipment we need ,

First up is our rifle , you can use factory rifles / custom rifles ,whatever takes your fancy!! , rifles are a personal choice!!!

Calibers are a personal choice too , so calibers from 222 / 223 and up should be a fine choice!!!

This was my factory Sako 75 in 6PPC USA..........................

6mmppc004.jpg

Scopes.......

Now you can spend as much or as little on a scope but i do believe you get what you pay for!!!!

The main thing is clarity and for this longrange shooting is repeatable dialing in your elevation and windage turrets, this is because when you dial out to a specific range you need to know its spot on!!! , but practice on paper at those extended ranges will soon tell you this!!!!!!!!!!

yhst-25172371574426_2008_10995041.jpg

Ammunition and accuracy ...................

Now some people buy factory ammo and if so then make sure you test whats most accurate in your rifle ...

If you re-load then the worlds your oyster!!!!

With re-loads you can try all sorts of bullet / powder / primer combinations to tune the load to your rifle...

A word of warning though............ if you are new to re-loading please seek advise from a experienced hand-loader!!!!

On the subject of accuracy you may ask yourself how accurate it needs to be????

Well as accurate as you can get it!! , i usually like a minimum of half inch groups at 100 yards................

The reason for this , and remembering how small the pest is at 200 yards or more , is - if your rifle / load combination is grouping in the half inch range @100yds then it " should " be grouping in the one in a half inches @300yds.

But as always test on paper first...............................

So enough for a clean kill at that range if we do our homework right........................

Chronographs..........

Once you have your accurate load you need to chronograph it so you know the average velocity , you need to do this so you can input this into your Ballistic program so you can print out a drop / windage chart , this will enable you to " dial " in the correction into the scope for the respective range to be shot at.....................

CED / Oehler / Chrony are some of the makes...........................

chron.jpg

If you are lucky you may have access to one from one of the gun clubs or mates............

Rangefinders........................

If you choose to shot at pests at extended range then you need a rangefinder to tell you the distance to your quarry!!!!

There are quite a few to choose from like the Leica / Bushnell / Leupold / Swarovski etc... but thats a personal choice...

I do like the Leicas and i have been using these for a few years and am very happy with the way they work......

opticsplanet_2009_383700102.jpgopticsplanet_2010_1387523152.gif

Windmeters.....................

One thing that we almost always have to deal with at range is the wind!!!!!

This is a science in itself so i shall discuss the tools to help you read the wind and its affects , but as always practice at extended range on inanimate targets will teach you allot of the effects of wind at range!!!!!

back to windmeters , you can pay as much or as little as you like , but they will give you instant / average wind readings and some others will give you temp / pressure / dew point etc.........

Speedtec / Kestral / Sylvia are some of the makes.............................................................

regular_windmate300.jpgregular_Kestrel4000Olive.jpg

Ballistic programs...............

Now there are quite a few programs to choose from like Exbal / Load from a disk / Sierra Infinity etc...

These will give you drop charts / windage charts for your rifle / load combination so you can dial these corrections for your given range...........

But i will say this , when you have your charts for your rifle / load , please go out and practice at differing ranges on paper so then you " know the exact " drop table for your rifle and load.........

If there is a slight difference make notes and then go back to your program and " fudge " the BC untill it matches your real time data...........

If in doubt seek advise........................

You can even get palm handhelds with programs like Exbal on them so you can take these into the fields with you , but i still have my paper backup charts....................

Heres the view from a palm handheld program.........................

PPC_DropTable.jpgPPC_Main.jpg

Now putting it all together......................

You have your accurate load for your rifle and you have chronographed it to get your average velcocity.........

You input this into your ballistic program with the other information like... Bullet weight / caliber / ballistic co-effecent of bullet / sight height above bore line / distance of rifle zero and you can add as well ...... altitude / tempature / pressure / humidity........ if this sounds a bit confusing then get someone to explain and help you.......................

Now armed with this go out and set up target boards of paper and shoot groups at the different ranges .. 200 / 300 / 400 / 500 etc... , and using your data " dial " in corrections and this will tell you ......

1) how close your drop chart is.................

2) if your scope is dialing correctly..........

3) how well your rifle and yourself are performing

4) teach you allot about the effects of wind at range

Use this time to play with the windmeter to " dial " in the windage to see the results and to make a honest assessment of how you and your rifle / load are performing!!!!!!

If you are happy with things put some targets out at differing ranges and use the rangefinder to get the distance and look at your charts to " dial " in elevation and the windmeter to " dial " in windage and see how you group and how effective you are at hitting your your target!!!

As always make sure you have a safe backstop and area to do this.................

When it all comes to together its a awesome experince..........................

DSCF3132.jpg

This is just an insight to longrange varminting , but there is so much to learn from others who are far more qualified than me..................

Hope you have enjoyed it ......

All the best.......................

RAY....................................

Good post Ray ;)

Thankyou my dear!!!!! ;) ;)

Hopefully cuts out some of the worries!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All the best......................

RAY....................................... :D;)

i,m confused already! is it possible to get into the 45yard club! ;);):D;);)

Hi buddy ,

Nothing to be confused about , if you want to we have a get together with the Cornish fruit slayers to show you how things work!! :D :D

Remember the 6.5-284 at 540yds plus!!!! ;) ;)

All the best mate....................

RAY..................................... :D

Hi buddy ,

Nothing to be confused about , if you want to we have a get together with the Cornish fruit slayers to show you how things work!! :D:(

Remember the 6.5-284 at 540yds plus!!!! ;) ;)

All the best mate....................

RAY..................................... :D

your right ray, i need trigger time for sure,never seem to get the b....y! time any more,but i,m going for a stalk on saturday ,so we will see ,but would be very nice to get out with "fruit slayers" in fact i have to ring the main fruit slayer tonight ,so i will have a paly with my 6.6x55 on saturday and i,m going up the range tomorrow with the 223 to see if i stil know how it works!!!!!!!!!,and thanks to a bit of help from varmartyn and silent the ssg is shooting like the dogs do dars!!!!so look out!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D

Good post Ray.....

......Exhail...hold and squeeze baby... B)

Thanks lads........... ;);)

Hi there Captain, thats a great post for all who want to get out there and have a go :D , well all those who shoot ,apart from the Keyboard Jockies that is! :D

Thankyou mate - good to see you still here!!!!!!!!! :D:D

Keyboard jockeys?? - surely you must me mistaken Captin!!!!!!!! :(

RAY........................................... :D:D

Top effort Ray and many thanks.

It is a great guide for uo and coming shooters.

Just remember the more time in the field the quicker you learn.

You won't do this by sitting by your keyboards so get out there.

Dave

Thanks again lads!!!!! :):D

Dave and myself thought it would be a good idea for those who are either new to the sport and would like to have a go, or those seasoned shooters who would like sound of doing longrange pest control and would like to give it a try!!!!!

All the very best................

RAY.............................. ;);)

• 3 years later...

Hi Ray

Would like to saye thank you for taking me out with john n many years ago with the .223 vmax round in a rem 700

you may not be aware but you showed me a lot.

i went on to shoot many foxes with my .223

Would like to catch up with you as i have loads of questions?

I am going to start reloading as i am now shooting more and i would to improve my groups

Had my best group two week 1" group at 300yard

many thanks

• 3 weeks later...

This writeup is intended to help those new to long-range varminting or those that are seasoned shooters who would like to have a go!!!!!!!

First off when we decide to control pests at long range there are ethical issues , but we are not going to go into this because we are going to go into what we need to do to make ourselves , our rifle / load combo the best it can be and to make use of the kit available to make this humane!!!!!

Now when the pests are rabbits / pigeons and corvids , a hit with a centerfire rifle will be lethal..........

If you still have ethical issues with this then its simple , please do not do it!!!!!

Now back to the equipment we need ,

First up is our rifle , you can use factory rifles / custom rifles ,whatever takes your fancy!! , rifles are a personal choice!!!

Calibers are a personal choice too , so calibers from 222 / 223 and up should be a fine choice!!!

This was my factory Sako 75 in 6PPC USA..........................

6mmppc004.jpg

Scopes.......

Now you can spend as much or as little on a scope but i do believe you get what you pay for!!!!

The main thing is clarity and for this longrange shooting is repeatable dialing in your elevation and windage turrets, this is because when you dial out to a specific range you need to know its spot on!!! , but practice on paper at those extended ranges will soon tell you this!!!!!!!!!!

yhst-25172371574426_2008_10995041.jpg

Ammunition and accuracy ...................

Now some people buy factory ammo and if so then make sure you test whats most accurate in your rifle ...

If you re-load then the worlds your oyster!!!!

With re-loads you can try all sorts of bullet / powder / primer combinations to tune the load to your rifle...

A word of warning though............ if you are new to re-loading please seek advise from a experienced hand-loader!!!!

On the subject of accuracy you may ask yourself how accurate it needs to be????

Well as accurate as you can get it!! , i usually like a minimum of half inch groups at 100 yards................

The reason for this , and remembering how small the pest is at 200 yards or more , is - if your rifle / load combination is grouping in the half inch range @100yds then it " should " be grouping in the one in a half inches @300yds.

But as always test on paper first...............................

So enough for a clean kill at that range if we do our homework right........................

Chronographs..........

Once you have your accurate load you need to chronograph it so you know the average velocity , you need to do this so you can input this into your Ballistic program so you can print out a drop / windage chart , this will enable you to " dial " in the correction into the scope for the respective range to be shot at.....................

CED / Oehler / Chrony are some of the makes...........................

chron.jpg

If you are lucky you may have access to one from one of the gun clubs or mates............

Rangefinders........................

If you choose to shot at pests at extended range then you need a rangefinder to tell you the distance to your quarry!!!!

There are quite a few to choose from like the Leica / Bushnell / Leupold / Swarovski etc... but thats a personal choice...

I do like the Leicas and i have been using these for a few years and am very happy with the way they work......

opticsplanet_2009_383700102.jpgopticsplanet_2010_1387523152.gif

Windmeters.....................

One thing that we almost always have to deal with at range is the wind!!!!!

This is a science in itself so i shall discuss the tools to help you read the wind and its affects , but as always practice at extended range on inanimate targets will teach you allot of the effects of wind at range!!!!!

back to windmeters , you can pay as much or as little as you like , but they will give you instant / average wind readings and some others will give you temp / pressure / dew point etc.........

Speedtec / Kestral / Sylvia are some of the makes.............................................................

regular_windmate300.jpgregular_Kestrel4000Olive.jpg

Ballistic programs...............

Now there are quite a few programs to choose from like Exbal / Load from a disk / Sierra Infinity etc...

These will give you drop charts / windage charts for your rifle / load combination so you can dial these corrections for your given range...........

But i will say this , when you have your charts for your rifle / load , please go out and practice at differing ranges on paper so then you " know the exact " drop table for your rifle and load.........

If there is a slight difference make notes and then go back to your program and " fudge " the BC untill it matches your real time data...........

If in doubt seek advise........................

You can even get palm handhelds with programs like Exbal on them so you can take these into the fields with you , but i still have my paper backup charts....................

Heres the view from a palm handheld program.........................

PPC_DropTable.jpgPPC_Main.jpg

Now putting it all together......................

You have your accurate load for your rifle and you have chronographed it to get your average velcocity.........

You input this into your ballistic program with the other information like... Bullet weight / caliber / ballistic co-effecent of bullet / sight height above bore line / distance of rifle zero and you can add as well ...... altitude / tempature / pressure / humidity........ if this sounds a bit confusing then get someone to explain and help you.......................

Now armed with this go out and set up target boards of paper and shoot groups at the different ranges .. 200 / 300 / 400 / 500 etc... , and using your data " dial " in corrections and this will tell you ......

1) how close your drop chart is.................

2) if your scope is dialing correctly..........

3) how well your rifle and yourself are performing

4) teach you allot about the effects of wind at range

Use this time to play with the windmeter to " dial " in the windage to see the results and to make a honest assessment of how you and your rifle / load are performing!!!!!!

If you are happy with things put some targets out at differing ranges and use the rangefinder to get the distance and look at your charts to " dial " in elevation and the windmeter to " dial " in windage and see how you group and how effective you are at hitting your your target!!!

As always make sure you have a safe backstop and area to do this.................

When it all comes to together its a awesome experince..........................

DSCF3132.jpg

This is just an insight to longrange varminting , but there is so much to learn from others who are far more qualified than me..................

Hope you have enjoyed it ......

RAY....................................

• 5 months later...

cheers great info for people like me how are trying to get into this sport time for me too move up from air rifles and my good old shotgun but the paper work is a nightmare

It's not nearly so complex out to say 200 yards-just check some trajectory charts-but you do need to get far more technical-as per this advice-if you want to go longer.Try to get an experienced shooter to guide you through the basics.What is the 'paper work' nightmare?FAC?Quite like SGC,really.Owning a rifle is a serious responsibility,as is eg driving a car.FLO should be able to help.

george

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi reading your comments with great intrest ,i have been shooting long range for over 20yrs target included my views are you can take nearly any centre fire and shoot a clay pigeon at 400yds if you walk the shots on,and that is good but not for living creatures .My opinion it has to be 1shot kills for live game and the only way to do that is have a custom rifle that will shoot very high bc bullets to give you a bit of a chance .if your rifle does not group half minute or less you will struggle way shots over 300yds a half minute group at 400yds does not give you a 2inch group ,i practice with a standard clay at five hundred yards i try only 1shot when i miss i sit and work out why,the big trick is to know when not to take the shot eg i found winds up to 5mph your hit ratio was in the high 90% and the ones that missed the clays were still under 5inch it would take a book to write everything.My biggest trick is to know when not to shoot when you are not sure of conditions i hope this helps alittle any questions i will try and help keep practicing cheers Shuggie

fac paper work i mean i dont do so well with paper work im just a simple country boy give me a tractor and i can do anything give me a pen and im lost smile.gif

Hi as regards your fac paperwork, go on the BASC website, you will find tips on filling out the forms, it is not that complicated, but there are ways of wording things that can help you in the application.

Regards Aj

Hi all hope i did not uppset folks with my article on 18th dec about long range shooting ,just thought someone might of made a quote,We long range shooters should be organising some busmans holidays and getting some tips from each other Shuggie