Tikka T3 mounting options

Austin.243

Hi,

I have recently purchased at Sightron stac (56mm objective) that is hopefully is on its way in the post.

I currently have an MTC viper with the mounts which came with it, I know that these mounts aren't designed for the 17mm tikka rail however they can stretch to fit. This is a little bit of a bodged job however I have never had any problems. As I have upgraded to a far superior scope I thought I would upgrade the mounts as well.

What is everyone using? Are there any benefits of optilocks versus normal mounts?

Thanks

Austin

I personally use Leupold STD bases and rings. They have been rock solid for 3 years without need to tighten or adjust.

They lack the Tacticool appeal of a picatinny rail and quick release rings but they have faultlessly held on to a pair of £2500+ Swarovskis and when I took one off to replace it with the other, there were no ring marks.

I personally use Leupold STD bases and rings. They have been rock solid for 3 years without need to tighten or adjust.

They lack the Tacticool appeal of a picatinny rail and quick release rings but they have faultlessly held on to a pair of £2500+ Swarovskis and when I took one off to replace it with the other, there were no ring marks.

Do these mounts use the rail or do they use the screws which are on top of the rail?

Thanks

The optilocks are great rings as they have a plastic insert to protect the scope tube from scratches!

However I now use a picatinny rail from alan rhone (reckanagle, if that's how you spell it) they cost about £42 then use tier one rings.

I use optilocks with my current scope and the inserts are a very good touch, however when I had a 56mm Sightron I did use the Leupold system, just as secure and you have some adjustment on the rear base to get alignment correct

Thank for the replies,

As I'm a tight arse, whats wrong with the sportmatch tikka mounts? My .243 with a mod has hardly any recoil so the mounts are under a lot of stress.

Has anyone had any problems with these mounts?

Thanks

Archived