Powders for .284 Win

ezmobile

I am wondering if there is a seating depth the 180gr hybrids like.what does your barrel like.i am just trying to avoid wasting alot of bullets.powders and time.ive 2 different bullets I am trying for now.the 162gr amaxs on RS60.

180gr hybrids on RS60 out of intrest

H4831sc and now Just loaded some on N165 . thoughts please swaro

Neil, I suggest trying the Brian Litz method for VLDs except start by seating the bullet just touching the lands.

Make two sets of three rounds at 0.040" intervals, i.e. 6 at 0.040", 0.080" and 0.120". One of those will stand out then go 0.005" either side of that.

The reason for the two sets of three is to help mitigate errors in grouping.

I found that my .284 rifle liked a 0.080" jump whereas my 308 liked 0.015"

• 3 months later...

Going all the way back to the start of my thread. My rifle is ready to start load development using Vit N165 as suggested by Laurie. However, I've also been looking at an alternative to N165 and had a look at RS powders on Quickload.

My version (3.8) points favorably to RS62. It does run a little hotter, 3,750 as against 3,500, but gets the velocities I'm looking for i.e. around 2,820 fps using just a bit over 50 grains of powder as opposed to almost 55 grains of N165, and its not even a high energy "barrel burning" powder. The pressures look better as well, 55,089 psi (RS62) against 56,954 (N165)

For info purposes, I'm using a Bartlein 7 mm barrel chambered for .284 win, 33 1/4 inch long (measured from closed bolt face to muzzle), 5R rifling. Using Sierra 7 mm 180 grain M-K's # 1980, just touching the lands with a COAL of 3.069"

Does anyone have any thoughts on this :unsure:

Happy new year to everyone.

• 1 month later...

Just came across this thread and some very useful information/contributions. With regards to the 162 Amax in the .284 would N160 be a sensible choice? Is anyone using N160 with the 162 Amax in this calibre?

Hi

did some experimenting with the 162 Amax & 162 eld a week or so ago, accuracy was very good but velocity was almost 200fps down on what I could achieve with h4350

regards Andy

Just came across this thread and some very useful information/contributions. With regards to the 162 Amax in the .284 would N160 be a sensible choice? Is anyone using N160 with the 162 Amax in this calibre?

Hi

did some experimenting with the 162 Amax & 162 eld a week or so ago, accuracy was very good but velocity was almost 200fps down on what I could achieve with h4350

regards Andy

Hi

regards Andy

sorry & N160

After extensive testing on R60 vs RS70 I have determined that I cant tell the difference between 51.5 gr of RS60, and 55.0 gr of RS70 - on the target anyway...

ES and SD are about 30% better with RS70 though, and case fill volume is better.

Both powders got up to 2930 fps with no pressure signs so I didn't carry on to find them - as I'm looking to run at about 2850 fps.

Finally, I had the chance to work up some velocity testing using Vit N165 & a barrel run in a few days back. I found that 55.5 grains of 165 brought me up to just a tad over 2,800 fps (2,810 ave) with no abnormal signs to worry about. I may try to put in a bit more, say an extra .3 grains just to bump it up a little more, but not too much. Quickload suggests that at 2,810 fps the bullet should still just be supersonic at 1,200 yds.

Any thoughts or suggestions.

Ez

I use 52.5 grains of N160 under the Amax.

24" barrel getting 2800fps. Single digit SD and ES and extremely accurate!

Velocity is ok and it's a nice mild load. Tried higher loadings but saw no real benefit as the accuracy whilst ok was nowhere near as good and it did gain me much in the velocity stakes.

ATB,

Joe

• 5 months later...

I can only assume it is a bullet to barrel dimensions issue. I've seen other people get nigh on 2,900 fps from 180 Hybrids and VLDs from 57gn or thereabouts of N165, but I suspect they may be pushing pressures a bit, enough to affect case life.

My 284 barrel, a gain-twist 8.6 to 8 twist Bartlein didn't shoot Berger VLDs at all well, but took to Sierra MKs and there are no pressure issues at all at 57gn. My 7 Shehane (9-inch twist Benchmark) won't shoot Sierras but really suits the 180gn Lapua Scenar L, an excellent bullet and cheaper than Bergers. At over 59gn N165, it produces a lower MV than the straight 284 at ~2,820 fps with what appears to be very modest pressures - one finger on the underside of the bolt handle only needed to open the Barnard P bolt, only occasional body-sizing needed around every 4th loading, and what looks like excellent case life in prospect with tight primer pockets on the 5th to 8th loadings. Most people would want higher velocities from the Shehane, but I find that the just over 2,800 fps mark with 175s and 180s suits me.

So, it's the old, old story of loading advice being exactly that - advice - as every barrel and chamber is different. If you want higher MVs from the 'straight 284' and prefer to avoid added-nitroglycerin 'high-energy' powders, I'd suggest giving IMR-7828ssc a try. Otherwise it'd be Reload Swiss RS60, or maybe better the slower burning RS70. Nitrochemie shows RS70 on the same burning rate line as Alliant Re22, Norma MRP, Viht N165, and Hodgdon SUPERformance, but it has the patented EI infused deterrents technology that flattens and extends the peak pressure period in the early stages of the charge burn.

Good morning, Laurie.
I would like to know from your experience the equivalences of the Vhita 540, 150, 550 and 160 with respect to reload Swiss.
I have read that only the RS50 and RS62 are not double base and the others yes? I seek to give life to my 6 mm BR, 6, 5x47 and. 280 Sheane.
Thank you.

Good morning, Laurie.
I would like to know from your experience the equivalences of the Vhita 540, 150, 550 and 160 with respect to reload Swiss.
I have read that only the RS50 and RS62 are not double base and the others yes? I seek to give life to my 6 mm BR, 6, 5x47 and. 280 Sheane.
Thank you.

Cienfuegos,

There are no 'direct' equivalents between RS and VV powders, but there will be similarities to what powders are suitable for what cartridge and bullet combination.

Burn rate charts for VV and RS can be found here for VV (link) and here for RS (link). The VV chart is old (2011), so doesn't compare their powders with RS'. Nor are RS' powders shown in the burn rate chart of the current 2017 VV reloading manual (link).

Approximately burn rate comparisons are below.

VV RS

VV540... RS52

VV150.. none, near Norma URP.

VV550.. RS60.

VV160... none, near Hodgdon Hybrid 100V and Alliant Reloader 19.

Though similar, you can't just swap one for the other, but we're all aware of that.

For more direct comparisons you'd have to check each company's reloading data for each of you cartridges. There's no data for the 284 Shehane if that's what you meant?

VV data for the 6 mm BR Norma

VV data for the 6.5x47 Lapua

RS reload data

As to RS50 (link) and RS62 (link), a quick look at the manufacturer's website would answer your questions ;)

RS50 is an extruded, single-based propellant powder based on nitrocellulose. The surface is coated with camphor. This results in balanced temperature behaviour with moderate pressure at high temperatures.

RS62 is an extruded, single-based propellant powder based on nitrocellulose. The surface is coated with camphor. This results in balanced temperature behaviour with moderate pressure at high temperatures.

So yes, both single base.

Neil

Cienfuegos,

There are no 'direct' equivalents between RS and VV powders, but there will be similarities to what powders are suitable for what cartridge and bullet combination.

Burn rate charts for VV and RS can be found here for VV (link) and here for RS (link). The VV chart is old (2011), so doesn't compare their powders with RS'. Nor are RS' powders shown in the burn rate chart of the current 2017 VV reloading manual (link).

VV RS

VV540... RS52

VV550.. RS60.

Though similar, you can't just swap one for the other, but we're all aware of that.

For more direct comparisons you'd have to check each company's reloading data for each of you cartridges. There's no data for the 284 Shehane if that's what you meant?

RS reload data

As to RS50 (link) and RS62 (link), a quick look at the manufacturer's website would answer your questions ;)

RS50 is an extruded, single-based propellant powder based on nitrocellulose. The surface is coated with camphor. This results in balanced temperature behaviour with moderate pressure at high temperatures.

RS62 is an extruded, single-based propellant powder based on nitrocellulose. The surface is coated with camphor. This results in balanced temperature behaviour with moderate pressure at high temperatures.

Neil

Gracias Neil...

I have been able to check an equivalence between Vhita 150 and RS50. With the same load of 28.3, I get 798 +-M/s with both gunpowder and the same point of impact.

Cienfuegos,

VV RS

VV540... RS52

VV550.. RS60.

RS reload data

Neil

Gracias Neil...

I have been able to check an equivalence between Vhita 150 and RS50. With the same load of 28.3, I get 798 +-M/s with both gunpowder and the same point of impact.

Hey folks, how is everyone getting on with their loads? I got a lovely .284 made by Dave at Valkyrie, I found a load of liked at 54.2gr of N160 and the 162gr ELD-M. Unfortunately now that the barrel seems to be bedded in this load is a bit too hot now so backing down to 52.4 and working up again. It's a 24" barrel and I was developing roughly 2800fps. I'm interested to hear about people's experiences either the reload Swiss powders, rs60, rs62. Thanks folks and happy shooting!

Archived