trigger and trigger pull weights

I feel I am still snatching at my match weight trigger which is a 1.5kg pull.not sure if it's me not being totally dead still when ammo testing.yesterday I used a Caldwell rear eared bag and changed too a sand sock which was an improvement.what is the sort of best weight for a target / hunter trigger.

For target rifle (TR) the trigger weight is set by the rules.......it's 3lbs. The 300m rules allow any safe trigger weight (mine's around 150 gms).

Not sure about CSR, but I think that F/TR and F open allow any weight as long as it's safe.

Re-pete

Neil,there is a bit of subjectivity in this-one pull weight does not suit all. !.5 k is 3.3lb,perhaps not a bad compromise-compromise because target and hunting really can have different criteria/critteria.

Re-Pete (welcome to civvies!) makes the good point that for some target disciplines there will be a minimum trigger pull weight,though not in all (bench rest eg favour very light-2 ounce -triggers for short range,and not much more for longer,often-but the rifle is held steady in a rest,presighted on targt before loaded,and some practice finesses trigger feel).

But 2oz would be a liability in a hunting rifle,and plain dangerous in most non ideal hunting shooting positions.Nor is absolute precision needed,so 3lb is much more sensible,and should not compromise the accuracy needed (and for most,better 3lb than 2lb,safety takes precedence,and allows for cold,gloves etc-though under the best conditions,2lb could be fine-summer fixed position prone daytime varminting eg).

So your 3.3 lb should be fine as a hunting trigger-and any hunting rifle has already some compromises as a target rifle (weight,forend,possibly cartridge scope etc etc-at least for some target work.

If you shoot better with a sand sock than an eared bag-as you seem to suggest,that is odd,unless the bag does not allow finess squeezing and sock does-adjust the bag sand.Or technique-the idea is the the rifle slides back a tad between the ears,whereas most hunting shooters would opt for a tighter grip,especially under less than ideal hunting situations,and might even prefer to "sock it to 'em"

gbal

Thanks mick.i thought my match trigger was 1.5kg pull.i thought that was the minimum weight.i remember bradders checking triggers pulls 3 years ago when I participated in the Methuen comp. maybe I should go back to ammo testing prone again.will make so extension thing I can lay down and hang out the back of my pickup

Archived