AR 15 accuracy

PaulC

Hi gents

I was wondering what sort of accuracy people are getting from there AR's I see all sorts of post's with ragged hole groups bot I am struggling to better one and a half moa I wondered if this more the norm.

Rgds Paul

Paul,interesting post-I'm sure you will get some authentic data,with information about the rifle and ammo.

Many UK ARs will be semi custom,and maybe a bit better than 'rack' guns; the samples may be a little biased-plenty rifles of any sort don't shoot as well as those reported here-and so don't always get reported!

As background,you might also find it useful to Google in "AR15 Accuracy tests" and check out some of them.....for example-.

"My most accurate AR15s " by Woody of the Shooters Log (US of course) gives results from a dozen or so,with a variety of commercial ammo-and results at 100y in the .6 to 1.8 inch range (and worst combo at 2.8) which may be a comfort,but clearly shows that both rifle make and ammo are variables-and interact.These were not full custom race guns'-most fairly standard (I think).

Individual shooters on this forum will have personalised rifles that can do better,carefully shot;and with specially tuned handloads;but the official US army report on three auto milspecs that shot 24,443 rounds might surprise too -now,that is "all day",and they are all recorded-not just the best 3 shot 'group'!!

It coud be interesting to see a decent sample here.

Especially if the relevant specs (at least barrel make) are given (so that apples to apples comparisons are possible) :-)

gbal

Hi Mich

I have trieda few different 69 grain bullets whith some various N 140 loads scenar's and tmk's also surplus 62 grain RG and GGG it's a Border 16 inch 1 in 8 twist with 2000 rounds down it shoots slighly better clean and cold I wonder if anyone had dropped down to a 55 grain out of a 1 in 8 too improve there accuracy.

Rgds Paul

Hi Mich

I have trieda few different 69 grain bullets whith some various N 140 loads scenar's and tmk's also surplus 62 grain RG and GGG it's a Border 16 inch 1 in 8 twist with 2000 rounds down it shoots slighly better clean and cold I wonder if anyone had dropped down to a 55 grain out of a 1 in 8 too improve there accuracy.

Rgds Paul

I have an 18" AR, I use 77grn SMK with 24.5 grn RS50 (and have used the same in N140) and it shoots around 1", GGG & RG is around 2" , It depends what you are shooting, I use mine mostly for CSR competitions where 2" groups are plenty good enough, its the firing after running 100yds and standing and sitting shots that will mess up your scores, I also find the 77 is better over longer distances (over 300 yds) as its not effected by the wind so much.

Let me tell you a little story from a few months ago at one of my clubs. A guy there I know bought himself a new CMMG in 5.56, made a few tweaks as you do and got on with the job of trying to develop a load fir it. He is by no means an Olympian but I would say a 1/2 decent shooter with decent technique. He has several rifles and is a capable reloader. Now being a fan of 'black guns' but not of straight pull AR platforms we started chatting away merrily about mods etc. He had a new batch of ammo using 55gn full length sized and was libearally spraying them down range. His grouping by even his standards was shocking 1.5MOA being average. I was genuinely surprised how bad it was, he told me that wasnt unusual....

So around this time a newish guy turns up with a combo lightweight sports rifle he had bought from a local vendor. (Tikka T3 .233, decentish scope and PES mod). Sets up and starts shooting. After a couple of details he comes over to me and says 'can you have a go with this rifle as I am struggling to put a group together please?'. Well obviously I said yes. He was using factory rounds out a plain white box with some Russian stamped on it it blue. They were 5.56 but apart from that I had no idea WTF they were.

Three shot group made an equilateral triangle on a sheet of A4 with all three sides about 4" long... Holy that which promotes growth and vigour was my response....... Somethings not right..... Checked the rifle over and actually a very nice set up by its previous owner. I suspected the ammo. Called over AR guy who suggested swapping 5rounds of his reloadeds for this POS Russian stuff.

Well you can guess the punch line cant you.....?

Tikka shot a pretty cloverleaf with me at the helm and the three softish reloads, and mateys AR shot a ragged cloverleaf with the POS Russian ammo. They swaaped the rest of their boxes and had a great play. The AR shooting flames out the un braked barrel about 500mm long each time he shot it and creating a smell like a black poweder shoot off, but the crap ammo worked a treat. (He saved a couple to take home and take apart to find out what was being used).

So my take on CF ARs is expect the unexpected.......

Think accuracy can also depend on where the AR comes from, the likes of Baldie and Bradders on here are well known for building accurate AR's. I had the pleasure of shooting an AR10 the other day, which had been built by Baldie, first shot at 400yds and a hit on six inch metal plate in windy conditions.

Thanks for the info gents I will try some lighter loads and see what happens as for the Barnaul type ammo I will be giving it a miss.

Rgds Paul

Thanks for the info gents I will try some lighter loads and see what happens as for the Barnaul type ammo I will be giving it a miss.

Rgds Paul

Paul, Barnaul will do the same for you (give a miss) so fair enough.

Barnowl though is not quite barndoor.

And cf post 9 !

I use it (and Wolf) a bit in an Aug-it is 100% reliable functionally (goes bang,ejects).

On a good day,I get around 4 hits from 5 fast shots at a 450y Fig 11,just pure fun shooting.

But it's not much better bench rested-so much less fun !!

Probably about 3moa,never dared test it properly on paper-and some poor quality control-(fliers),used to be 'cheap' though not reloadable...

As Wazzer,et al, the heavier 69-77 g bullets will be a bit less wind drifted at CSR ranges,and perhaps the best choices.

gbal

Hi

Thanks for the posts and pm's it looks like an inch and a half is about normal, I will try the 77 grains and see what happens.

Rgds Paul

After 2000rds, how many more do you think you have to fire before you strike upon the "God load"?

It either shoots...........or it doesn't

Want to shoot iddy biddy groups? then 52gn SMKs and 25gns of H335

Think accuracy can also depend on where the AR comes from, the likes of Baldie and Bradders on here are well known for building accurate AR's. I had the pleasure of shooting an AR10 the other day, which had been built by Baldie, first shot at 400yds and a hit on six inch metal plate in windy conditions.

Except it isn't an AR10!

I keep going over this, it's entirely different

Archived