New 1000 yard 10-shot group record - 2.856 inches!

The Gun Pimp

I wouldn't have bothered drawing attention to this new world record shot by American Mike Gaisaukaus if he's used some outlandish wildcat and custom bullets but Mike used a 6.5x47 Lapua with 139gn Scenars!

See 6mmBR.com for full story.

A nice sheltered range in the forest - couldn't be more different from Diggle. :) Interesting that he's switched from 300WSM to the '47 Lapua, but has done incredibly well with both cartridges, just missing a world record twice with the magnum.

Gosh, a nominal 1/4moa at 1000 yards, most folks would be happy with that at 100!

Nice to see it achieved with, as Vince points out, a bog standard cartridge and bullet.

T

great shooting but surely there has to be an element of environmental luck to shoot a ten round group like that ?

Yes, especially the 10-rounds 'Heavy Gun' groups. ('Light Gun' comps are for 5-shot groups and as of now are around half the size of HG groups in GB 1,000 yard BR, but the HG class is still very new here with shooters finding their way, so far mostly with F-Class and FTR rifles, not purpose built 30-40lb monsters.)

The environmental factor is why the sheltered West Virginia range is so important. I wasn't joking when I said it couldn't be more different from Diggle which is not only windy, but sees constant and rapid wind-angle changes as well as variable speeds in most wind direction conditions.

In all cases, BR shooters generally get the shots off as quickly as possible trying to get them in before the wind condition changes, only pausing if the quick between the shots downrange glance shows a big change in flag aspects - that's why the HG 10 shots are much harder than the LG etc 5-shots. 10 shots at less than 5-second intervals also sees the barrel heat rapidly potentially affecting group dispersion towards the end of the string. Most past 1,000 yard HG world records have been shot with .300 magnums, but the smaller precision cartridges - ie 6BR, 6-Dasher, 6-6.5X47L. 6XC, 6 SMACK, and the smaller 6.5s have the advantage of slower barrel heating, as well as less recoil = disturbance on the bags / rest.

With equipment / techniques / ammo components so good nowadays, and the very large number of groups shot annually in US registered events, the day must come when a super long-range group is turned into the unbeatable group through sheer fluke - the one shot that would be a half or full-inch out of the main group is blown in by a small wind change.

The shooter concerned though has previously shot a number of 'almost record' world record groups. Once might be a fluke, three or four shows the guy really knows what he's doing and has enormous talent as well as one helluva good gunsmith!

Yes, especially the 10-rounds 'Heavy Gun' groups. ('Light Gun' comps are for 5-shot groups and as of now are around half the size of HG groups in GB 1,000 yard BR, but the HG class is still very new here with shooters finding their way, so far mostly with F-Class and FTR rifles, not purpose built 30-40lb monsters.)

The environmental factor is why the sheltered West Virginia range is so important. I wasn't joking when I said it couldn't be more different from Diggle which is not only windy, but sees constant and rapid wind-angle changes as well as variable speeds in most wind direction conditions.

In all cases, BR shooters generally get the shots off as quickly as possible trying to get them in before the wind condition changes, only pausing if the quick between the shots downrange glance shows a big change in flag aspects - that's why the HG 10 shots are much harder than the LG etc 5-shots. 10 shots at less than 5-second intervals also sees the barrel heat rapidly potentially affecting group dispersion towards the end of the string. Most past 1,000 yard HG world records have been shot with .300 magnums, but the smaller precision cartridges - ie 6BR, 6-Dasher, 6-6.5X47L. 6XC, 6 SMACK, and the smaller 6.5s have the advantage of slower barrel heating, as well as less recoil = disturbance on the bags / rest.

With equipment / techniques / ammo components so good nowadays, and the very large number of groups shot annually in US registered events, the day must come when a super long-range group is turned into the unbeatable group through sheer fluke - the one shot that would be a half or full-inch out of the main group is blown in by a small wind change.

The shooter concerned though has previously shot a number of 'almost record' world record groups. Once might be a fluke, three or four shows the guy really knows what he's doing and has enormous talent as well as one helluva good gunsmith!

Thanks for that Laurie , I wasn't trying to take anything away from his incredible achievement

Thanks for that Laurie , I wasn't trying to take anything away from his incredible achievement

Understood - I didn't think that, was just trying to explain the parameters these groups are shot within. The Heavy Gun 10-shot group requirement is really onerous and really open to being affected by range conditions as our HG shooters have found out since we moved from a 'local' requirement for five-shot groups to the international 10-shot norm.

The other thing of note, that makes this result even more impressive, is that it was shot under IBS rules, that is for score as well as group size and he got all 10 into the 10-ring. (We simply shoot for group here only needing to keep them on the paper with a £10 prize to whoever gets the shot nearest the target centre. Having to get into the 10-ring makes things a lot harder than just getting a good group a few inches away from the aiming mark!)

In benchrest - long or short range - NO!

In F Class - maybe at some stage we had a record - the Yanks came into F Class quite late but they have a lot of big shoots so records inevitably go Stateside.

In the days of Malcolm Cooper and 300m 3P I'm sure we had a few.

Are very own Gun Pimp is British record holder with 2.6 inch 5 shot group at 1000yds. I am working on it myself.retested the 40grs h4350 load again tonite.was too breezy really but needed a load for 1k on Sunday so i had to percevere. Felt as if I was snatching at the trigger.wind was moving me around shooting off the roof of my pickup.lowest hole was my first shot after shooting a group with RS 60 with the mod on which will shoot real good.group in photo was shot with the brake on.am happy with both loads.just not happy to waste the 140gr amaxs on paper.the 47 took it first victim after.mr fox came in to the caller.

post-12052-0-61121700-1470349117_thumb.jpg

In benchrest - long or short range - NO!

In F Class - maybe at some stage we had a record - the Yanks came into F Class quite late but they have a lot of big shoots so records inevitably go Stateside.

In the days of Malcolm Cooper and 300m 3P I'm sure we had a few.

Thanks Vince, looks like Swarovski1 is gunning for your record and maybe we'll have a UK world record holder once he's got his load sorted out!!

Fortunately, to set any record, it has to be done in competition - so that rules out Swarovski.

But, that's what makes records like this latest 1000 yd one so special. If all the American 1000 yd BR shooters waited for a calm day then just blazed away group after group I shudder to think where the record would be.

But, sitting there, at your bench shoulder to shoulder with your competitors with a given 5 minute period to set your record.............that's a totally different game.

Honestly, I've never shot in anything like calm conditions. Diggle is never calm and the new Gelston range doesn't seem much better.

Honestly, I've never shot in anything like calm conditions. Diggle is never calm and the new Gelston range doesn't seem much better.

Ha! Ha! ... and if it's approaching 'calm', then you get mirage instead - you can't win. (With north America's generally much higher summer temperatures, I often wonder if that makes the squadding into relays a bit of a lottery depending on the mirage being generated for US BR shooters.)

I've always said we should run L-R BR comps from 06.00-08.30 with a long siesta resuming at 17.00 :):)

Ha! Ha! ... and if it's approaching 'calm', then you get mirage instead - you can't win. (With north America's generally much higher summer temperatures, I often wonder if that makes the squadding into relays a bit of a lottery depending on the mirage being generated for US BR shooters.)

I've always said we should run L-R BR comps from 06.00-08.30 with a long siesta resuming at 17.00 :):)

hi laurie.i had a look in the latest edition of book of excuses and I can't find your excuses ?.

Blame the wind then the miraging.not them old chestnuts ?

Thanks Vince, looks like Swarovski1 is gunning for your record and maybe we'll have a UK world record holder once he's got his load sorted out!!

10 consecutive shots inside .250.

I don't think I could manage that.always seem to let one go.never tried proper benchrest equipment.never say never

10 consecutive shots inside .250.

I don't think I could manage that.always seem to let one go.never tried proper benchrest equipment.never say never

Come on down/up to Diggle.......... Give it a go, I will happily provide a rifle and ammo

Fortunately, to set any record, it has to be done in competition - so that rules out Swarovski.

But, that's what makes records like this latest 1000 yd one so special. If all the American 1000 yd BR shooters waited for a calm day then just blazed away group after group I shudder to think where the record would be.

But, sitting there, at your bench shoulder to shoulder with your competitors with a given 5 minute period to set your record.............that's a totally different game.

I found a couple of result emails ?

post-12052-0-23450700-1470476656_thumb.png

post-12052-0-54428400-1470476892_thumb.png

Archived