Moderator Performance Survey

Dear All,

I always thought my moderator a SAK was pretty good, until I was next to a chap who had a very quite moderator. Anyway, I was going to ask for some recommendations for my 22LR Annie 1417. Then I got to thinking are are a few variables, and I don't really want to get into the science of measurements because that is also fraught with difficulties (equipment, methods etc) So I'm asking you all to please subjectively rate and comment back to me using the following info:

A= Moderator used

B= Barrel length

C= Ammo used

D= Effectiveness subjectively measured on the following scale (I just invented)

1= No good does not really suppress noticeably

3= Muzzle report reduced somewhat but still loud

5=I can clearly hear a muzzle report but it very much reduced

7= I can hear a small but noticeable muzzle report / sound

9= I can only just perceive a very slight muzzle report / sound

10= I can only hear the rifle firing pin / mech and the round striking the target

So in my case A=SAK, B=14inch, C=CCIHP Subs, D=7

Once I get a few results I will tabulate them. Only 22LR please.

Many thanks in advance.

I've never really noticed a big difference between rimfire moderators, I use a SAK, Sako and Parker Hale on different rifles. Personally I find there is much more of a difference swapping between different subsonic ammunition, RWS for example is notably slower than CCI Subsonic and Eley Match and I can hear the difference in any of my rifles. Likewise bolt actions are quieter than a semi-auto with no clatter from the bolt. Also I find a longer barrel quieter than a short barrel.

One thing I decided a long time ago was not to waste any of my life trying to find the ultimate .22LR sound moderator.

Anything from a 500ml coke bottle works more than well enough for the application of the round and rifle. It amazes me to what degree people will look for a .22LR mod that is quieter than the last one.

Two rifles, two different moderators.

Parker Hale - good solid moderator, about 7 on sound. Makes my semi-auto Voere extra long. No idea of barrel length but you could use it as a crutch if you broke your leg.

SAK - Works OK although it doesn't seem to register on the barrel as neatly as the PH. Sound 5-6. Shorter than the PH and easier to strip and clean.

I use it mostly on my 18" barrel Finnfire but I do mix and match - I always use a moderator in the field and mostly Eley HP subs.

Dear All,

I always thought my moderator a SAK was pretty good, until I was next to a chap who had a very quite moderator. Anyway, I was going to ask for some recommendations for my 22LR Annie 1417. Then I got to thinking are are a few variables, and I don't really want to get into the science of measurements because that is also fraught with difficulties (equipment, methods etc) So I'm asking you all to please subjectively rate and comment back to me using the following info:

A= Moderator used

B= Barrel length

C= Ammo used

10= I can only hear the rifle firing pin / mech and the round striking the target

So in my case A=SAK, B=14inch, C=CCIHP Subs, D=7

Once I get a few results I will tabulate them. Only 22LR please.

Many thanks in advance.

Sak

18"

SK Std Plus

A, parkerhale

B,14"

C, winchester X

D, 6

A, Swift Stumpy

B, 16"

C, Eley sub's

D,7

Though the sound difference is minimal between the two I think the Swift has the edge and is lighter and looks great.

A= Moderator used

B= Barrel length

C= Ammo used

A - Sak.

B - 14"

C- CCI HP Sub Sonic.

D - 7

A - Husher one

B - 16"

C - CCI Mini Mag

D - 3

A= SAK

B= 16"

C= Eley Subs

D= 5

Agree with the DeLisle comment by brown dog. I shot one at Minsterly Ranges 15yrs ago and very very very quiet. I can imagine very effective for what they were designed for!!

• 3 weeks later...

A - Weirauch HWH https://www.fishingmegastore.com/weihrauch-hwhe-silencer-12-unf~14254.html

B - 12.5"

C - RWS or Win Subs

D - 7 or 9 somewhere between "clearly audible/noticeable" and "only just perceptible" depending on environment

Have used a two kinds of SAK, a PH, a no name special and a PES T12 Scout.....

This is by far the quietest I have used

and its 110 grams!

I have a small sound meter if anyone fancies recording actual footage and result of unmoderated and moderated reports for a more objective comparison

Archived