Tikka M695 continental or Bergara BX14 hunter

Chef

Hi guys,

I'm after a bit of advice on a new rifle, predominantly for deer but also some plinking. I've just got a variation through for a 6.5x55 and am considering the two options above, the tikka has a 22 1/2" heavy barrel and the Bergara a 24" sporter, I'm just wondering if any on here have experience of either rifles?

The tikka I'm looking at is about 15 years old and hasn't been used much and is the same price

secondhand as the Bergara is new, I'm also curious if the difference in barrel length would matter if I got chance to stretch its legs on targets?

Thanks

Chef

Chef,

While it's nice to have choice,using a rifle for a variety of shooting can have some compromises...

Barrel length is easy-a couple of inches will not compromise performance.While it reduces velocity a tad-maybe 40 feet per second,this is of no consequence for huntingf,nor for informal target shooting ,even at longer ranges-all it means is maybe a couple of clicks more on scope at the known target distances....just not an issue for casual plinking etc. Give some thought too,to scope-you will need more mag for target than field,and click turrets really help target work at distance. A subjective compromise isn't too difficult.

The heavy barrel has some advantages in not dispersing shots so much when heating up more slowly,but unless you rattle of 5+ fast, not a big deal ,if primary use is for deer-but the extra weight might be...I used a Tikka Continental in 308 (and Sako Varmint in 243),both were great plinking/range rifles,but were soon replaced by a 7x57 and 243 sporter weight for field use...if you intend to walk a lot,be aware of the weight issues...or be fit and young (which can't be bought)!

Tikkas can be very fine rifles-and the older ones were made well.But do if at all posible check how it shoots first....seldom an option with a new rifle...

It is a subjective choice,though the 6.5 Swedish is an excellent cartridge, for your useage(s).

I have never regretted opting for (used) Tikkas and Sakos,rather than new rifles at the same price band,or even a bit more...but they have to feel right for the intended use(s).

You might be able to look ahead a little too-to when you can justify a second rifle...a deer rifle need not cost thousands,just put the first shot within an inch and a half at 100 yards,and most do! Enjoy your choice.

gbal

Thanks gbal,

Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to shoot it before buying as its in a town centre shop, however, they have said they would take it to a range and bring back a test target. It seems to fit me well and is nicely balanced to the point where it doesn't feel as heavy as it actually is if that makes sense?

I am thinking of putting a Zeiss 5-25x50 HD5 with ballistic turret on it as a bit of a compromise although ideally I would like something with an illuminated ret so the other scope I'm considering is a S&B klassik 2.5-10x56 with illuminated ret which is probably perfect for deer but a little limiting for longer range plinking?

Cheers

Chef

Chef,

OK -the shop's offer is reasonable-if their price is...the amount of use is one thing,the state of the barrel is more important (borescope to check?)...but if it actually shoots OK,that is the best indication...bear in mind the ammo used willbe what the shop has/cheapest etc,not neccessarily what the rifle would shhot best with,but if it is acceptable (1moa?) then OK.

Fit and feel are important-I never regretted buying my HB varmint sako 243,and many thousands of shots later,it is still fine for casual range use...but it was never a pleasure to carry any distance..static was ok,roe just about...but on a highland hill....no,a sporter 7x57 was soon added for that (308 fine too).

It's a bit heart/head,but also the relative amounts of shooting (I'd shoot several hundreds of shots at targets to every one stalking-right tool helps...( not many-none,in fact- golfers carry just one club,or even just two/three -though a half set covers most casual 'club' -ouch!- users...)...the ivory hunters had gun bearers,not as imperial right,but to ensure they were not knackered when a life/death shot was needed!

Meanwhile,scope-low light capability is useful for stalking,never convinced of illuminated-not many 'last 5 minute ' opportunities presented,but as you say -is 10x a bit low for long range-well,most would benefit from 25x ...if scores really matter-some prefer just to stretch their sporter rig,out of interest...that's fine.( 25x is good to 1000,and more is often not very useable-mirage/other negative conditions)-as you realise,another compromise...go for quality,though,and reliable adjustments.S&B for optics,NF for rest,but I'd not bin a Zeiss either....it is subjective too-I don't want to be dazzled by the scope's phenomenal brightness,but I do want to know a click is a click-always. Eyes,of course ,differ....

I think you have the pros and cons-any compromise can be quite workable,though I'd avoid changing scopes etc on one rifle..you'll be re-zeroing more than shooting. If you can see a second (stalker & scope) OR (range rifle & scope) sometime ahead,factor that in too....the (used) stalker need not be better than 1 moa,and an S&B 8x can be had for a few hundred £s-though it does add up....just like golf clubs?? :-)

Get the one you fancy- Tikka if it shoots and you can carry it ok-if you intend to-and price is fair. Worst scenario is that it becomes your range rifle and plinker,and you add a light stalker...best scenario,you are happy ever after....(but get the stalker too as a concession to age.... :-)

gbal

Thanks, I've been to have another look at the Tikka today, there are a few dents on the side of the stock just above the magazine release and a little surface rust/blemishes in the grooves on top of the action, the rest is pretty much spotless and the shop have said they would sort the stock and clean up the action, re-bluing if needed, I suppose my final question is what would the members on here consider a fair price? It's up for £625?

Cheers

• 3 months later...

I don't know about the bergaras but the 695 is a lovely smooth action which will serve you well even if you chuck it in mud! The other thing would be to go down the T3 route, because your going for a long action anyway! The T3 if you look around would be roughly the same price if not cheaper!

I did like the 695 but when borescoped it showed to have had a LOT of use and not much, if any cleaning!

So I contacted Brian Fox at Diggle, who although doesn't import the rifles was happy for one to be sent to him for me to look at on a sale or return basis as Brian was also quite eager to get his hands on one.

It's a no frills rifle based on the remmy 700 but as Brian pointed out the built quality is what Remingtons should be and with the quality of the barrel it should definitely be a shooter. Needless to say I bought it and two weeks later, after a long day on the hill, I shot my first red hind with it, so all in all very pleased.

The service I received from Brian was excellent and as I only live 17 miles from Diggle I suppose I should try to find the time to use the range to improve my skills.

I did like the 695 but when borescoped it showed to have had a LOT of use and not much, if any cleaning!

So I contacted Brian Fox at Diggle, who although doesn't import the rifles was happy for one to be sent to him for me to look at on a sale or return basis as Brian was also quite eager to get his hands on one.

It's a no frills rifle based on the remmy 700 but as Brian pointed out the built quality is what Remingtons should be and with the quality of the barrel it should definitely be a shooter. Needless to say I bought it and two weeks later, after a long day on the hill, I shot my first red hind with it, so all in all very pleased.

The service I received from Brian was excellent and as I only live 17 miles from Diggle I suppose I should try to find the time to use the range to improve my skills.

You should go down this Sunday then, Chef, as there is a 600 yard Benchrest comp on. I'm sure you'll be made welcome.

Cheers.

Paul

• 1 month later...

I had 2 Tikka continental may years ago in 30-06 and 243, both could do 10mm groups at 100yd. I changed them for lighter rifles as the years went by. They are like hens teeth to find so if the weight won't be a problem go for it.

Archived