Mmm is for Mausingfield

Think I recognise that kitchen!

Very nice. Will you go with the fancy coating?

Aye but kitchen work tops dont have to be in kitchens all the time! ;)

The guy Im building this for hasn't finalised the finish yet but it will be either DLC or Cerakote.

My mistake, I though it was Paddy's kitchen. Probably wasn't that long ago that it was sat there.

Really nice actions and silky smooth. Sure the new owner will enjoy it.

My mistake, I though it was Paddy's kitchen. Probably wasn't that long ago that it was sat there.

Really nice actions and silky smooth. Sure the new owner will enjoy it.

Im fairly sure Paddy's worktops would be granite, these ones are B&Q's finest! :)

Im fairly sure Paddy's worktops would be granite, these ones are B&Q's finest! :)

LOL.

Wall to wall Granite and Zebra skin!

Did you shoot any of them over the chronograph?

No, it was drizzling a bit so I didn't bother, I expect there will be another node above where I finished, no pressure signs at 41.0gr so will have a look a little further maybe and chrono them then.

Me too Mark.

I'm sure Paddy will chime in but he had his done in something very nice I just can't remember what it was.

Me too Mark.

I'm sure Paddy will chime in but he had his done in something very nice I just can't remember what it was.

DLC

Diamond Like Coating

There's a time and place for Cerakote, but slathering the metalwork on this in it ain't it

DLC

Diamond Like Coating

There's a time and place for Cerakote, but slathering the metalwork on this in it ain't it

Ive thought about DLC, the problem is I haven't seen it in the flesh, dont know much about it and dont feel like I could recommend it on that basis. Paddy told me about a company local to me who is doing it so I may well ask them about a sample. The chap I built the rifle for likes the idea of cerakote, he has had his last couple of rifles done this way and he has looked at cerakoted Mausingfields on the internet which he liked the look of. I did mention DLC but without a sample to look at he just said to get it cerakoted.

I will put some pictures of the rifle up tomorrow, the weather wasn't nice today to be messing about with the camera outdoors.

Thanks for your thoughts guys, always useful to have different opinions

The Mausingfield action isn't stainless so it will need a finish of some kind and at present the jury is now out on the finish it will get, as such I haven't bead blasted the barrel yet until I know which route will be taken.

post-13063-0-41827000-1469815057_thumb.jpg

post-13063-0-68972200-1469815058_thumb.jpg

post-13063-0-23522800-1469815060_thumb.jpg

post-13063-0-71991600-1469815061_thumb.jpg

post-13063-0-81746900-1469815065_thumb.jpg

post-13063-0-07070500-1469815067_thumb.jpg

Ive thought about DLC, the problem is I haven't seen it in the flesh, dont know much about it and dont feel like I could recommend it on that basis. Paddy told me about a company local to me who is doing it so I may well ask them about a sample. The chap I built the rifle for likes the idea of cerakote, he has had his last couple of rifles done this way and he has looked at cerakoted Mausingfields on the internet which he liked the look of. I did mention DLC but without a sample to look at he just said to get it cerakoted.

I will put some pictures of the rifle up tomorrow, the weather wasn't nice today to be messing about with the camera outdoors.

Thanks for your thoughts guys, always useful to have different opinions

I had one of our magazines DLC'd and it's very nice, silky smooth on the moving parts and ultra tough but @ over £100 for a mag coating it's a bit on the pricey side.

Blued in a nice custom made walnut stock would look fabulous

I got out this afternoon to do some load development on this rifle again, this time using Berger 130VLD's seated 0.020" off the lands.

I used H4350 and it never shot anything bigger than 0.5" over six power charges, just like it did last week with the 123 Amax. After I shot the VLD's I asked my friend (who was doing his own load development of his new 22/243 Ive just built) to fire some 123 Amax with powder charges that started where my earlier groups (in this thread) had stopped and sure enough there was another node waiting for him.

I have peeled these three targets off the original board and mounted them onto one sheet of paper as I plan to give it to the rifles owner when he comes to collect. I would certainly be happy to receive something like this with my new rifle, I think its fair to say she's a shooter :)

post-13063-0-23273200-1470525606_thumb.jpg

ps, the best group looks a little bigger than it actually was, the target tore a little while removing it from the backing but was correctly measured before removal.

Here it was before I removed it.

post-13063-0-53579100-1470525924_thumb.jpg

Well done Alan, looks like you built a rifle that shoots as good as it looks!!

Did you chrono the 130's?

Yes, at 42gr with a COAL of 2.750 from a 26" barrel they were doing 2915fps with an ES of 19. It was warm today but the bolt lift was still very easy although the primers were starting to loose their edge a bit. I can't remember what the most accurate ones were doing though, I think they were going up around 40fps per 0.5gr so you could work it back over.

After I shot the VLD's I asked my friend (who was doing his own load development of his new 22/243 Ive just built) to fire some 123 Amax with powder charges that started where my earlier groups (in this thread) had stopped and sure enough there was another node waiting[/url]

Not a bad afternoon punching paper when you are left arguing over 0.041" for the best group!

It was a joy to shoot, silky smooth action and really well put together. In over 20 years of rifle shooting I have never done any load development where the accuracy nodes were so wide, ridiculously accurate piece of kit.

Please tip gamekeepers generously this season as this one wants a new rifle!

Archived