Best factory loads for .243 M12 Impact and zeroing

Hi All,

New to the forum and have been reading up with great interest but would like to ask a couple of questions if I may.

Have just been granted my ticket for a .243 and have purchased a Mauser M12 Impact synthetic and wondered from experiences gained by individuals on here what factory ammo the rifle preferred? Looking at 100gr as it has to be deer legal for Scotland, but will spend the majority of its time after foxes protecting the birds on my syndicate shoot in Scotland. All the keepers rave about the Federal Power Shok Soft point 100gr through there Tikas, but looking for advice specifically what the M12 likes.

My second question is more an enquiry as how to proceed which a bit of background probably will be needed. Been shooting for 20+ years and had my FAC for a number of years for .22 air, .22 rimmy and .17HMR, however have never been on a range, due to being able to zero and shoot these calibres on my permissions. However, now that I have stepped up a league, these local permissions are not signed off for .243 so bar a trip to Scotland, I am potentially looking at options to zero and get a feel for the rifle closer to home. Doing my DSC1 in September and asked whether I could zero my rifle on the shooting test but was unfortunately politely refused due to time constraints so looking to find advice about the best way of going about zeroing locally knowing that hunting/expanding ammo is not allowed on official ranges.

Is there any home range to go in the south east specifically set up for hunters in a position like mine or non syndicate deer stalkers?

Advice greatly appreciated

Fishy

What worked for my 243s in the past may not work for you. Buy a selection of different brands and try them out. Ideally get a friend to come along and conduct a blind trial so you don't know which brand you are shooting.

Regards

JCS

What worked for my 243s in the past may not work for you. Buy a selection of different brands and try them out. Ideally get a friend to come along and conduct a blind trial so you don't know which brand you are shooting.

Regards

JCS

Cheers, usually do that, however was looking to narrow it down a bit in the first instance.

A Mauser M12 - heard good things.

I actually drive from Essex to Minsterley Ranges in Shropshire as - unless anyone advises better local to Essex - it is the one place I can quietly test different rounds and break in a new gun with calm diligence. I have also used the Kynamco underground range near Cambridge for around £30 per hour. A great zeroing facility.

As for brands - I would suggest - depending on availability that Hornady, Federal, Norma and Sako brands of your desired 100gn weights will get you started. Geco is another brand which is accurate in some rifles.

As you know, what suits one rifle will not suit another. (don't accept handloads from another .243 user unless they have been profiled to your rifle)

When it comes to the DSC1 - just passed it - ensure your can shoot off sticks - quads sticks are better at 40metre sitting, 70 metre standing and prone zero 100metres. Nerves kick in and it ain't the same as when out foxing.

Enjoy the rifle.

• 1 month later...

A Mauser M12 - heard good things.

I actually drive from Essex to Minsterley Ranges in Shropshire as - unless anyone advises better local to Essex - it is the one place I can quietly test different rounds and break in a new gun with calm diligence. I have also used the Kynamco underground range near Cambridge for around £30 per hour. A great zeroing facility.

As for brands - I would suggest - depending on availability that Hornady, Federal, Norma and Sako brands of your desired 100gn weights will get you started. Geco is another brand which is accurate in some rifles.

As you know, what suits one rifle will not suit another. (don't accept handloads from another .243 user unless they have been profiled to your rifle)

When it comes to the DSC1 - just passed it - ensure your can shoot off sticks - quads sticks are better at 40metre sitting, 70 metre standing and prone zero 100metres. Nerves kick in and it ain't the same as when out foxing.

Enjoy the rifle.

Cheers David, Kynamco was brill - rented for two hours but ran out of time!!!!! Could have spent all day there

I don't have any experience with 100 grain factory ammo, but the RWS 96 cone points are the best factory ammo I've used. Touching groups at 100. So I would look into RWS 100 grainers!

For the foxes I would suggest with something like hornady super performance 58 grain v max. As its so fast u can zero it around the 200 mark and within 240 you can just aim straight at anything. My Tikka has a 19" barrel so if your barrel is longer you should be even faster therefore flatter!

Archived