22 subs - solids and HP, a bit of relearning!

brown dog

Onehole - Ooh, thanks for the tip. I've never seen these. I've been "upcycling" Tenex push-out boxes - naturally the with label stripped off, but I'll take up your suggestion.

Thank you.

Your welcome,,,,yes ,,,Tenex boxes really good ,,,,think "Match" should be treated to these as well,,,may just give me a try harder and you will shoot as good as "Tenex" attitude,,,,,,,,mmmmm,,,,not sure Tenex you don't even have to try ,,,,stunning through two "unchoked" old Annies I have,,,,,,,Sorry goin off topic,,,,,,regds,,,,,O

I've done a fair bit of testing of ammo in my new to me Cz 455 and the eley subs are by far the best value for money I have about 300 win subs left from a slab wich were the only subs that would cycle through my 10/22 thease arnt bad but once run out I will be bying eleys.

I was testing the winnes and also some lapua center x at 80yrds today I managed a 1" group of the grass with just front bipod touching the ground to simulate field conditions no doubt the lapua are very accurate but the price and stopping power I think would make them a no no?

This however got me thinking the solid nosed match ammo does seem accurate especially at longer rang would there be any advantage of making a polymer tipped bullet that gave the best of both worlds?

Could it be done?

A few of picks of testing all 10 shots at 50yrds!!

The rabbit one was center x well under 1/2" and so were the eley subs.

post-9756-0-84496400-1469916654_thumb.jpeg

post-9756-0-34964900-1469916762_thumb.jpeg

post-9756-0-96124400-1469917392_thumb.jpeg

+1 on 1066s appreciation of decent testing-ideally 5 more of the good ones would confirm "reliability'' of groups,but no flyers is always encouaging in subs and eley tend to have good quality control...

munkjack- not quite what you were looking for,but how about:

CCI Copper 22-lead free copper particles and polymer compressed into a 21g hollow point bullet,at 1850fps. (it's just possible that sometimes avant guard PC California do us a good turn,though I have not seen any field tests of these as yet....).

The CCI "Quiet 22" segmented HP ammo seems to segment into 3 bits on impact;710 fps/45 ft lb at muzzle,673/40 at 50 yards,and 'quiet'but maybe only a short range option? Probably won't self load.

Both might be effective on small pests,offering something a bit different.Need testing in UK.

gbal

That's what I like to see. Real targets at a definite range, five shot groups and several groups on the same sheet.

Useful real world data.

Not to sound cocky but those are actually 10shot groups as I was testing for flyers!

+1 on 1066s appreciation of decent testing-ideally 5 more of the good ones would confirm "reliability'' of groups,but no flyers is always encouaging in subs and eley tend to have good quality control..

(I tested 8 different types in the end including cci stingers and rws I bought 1 box of every type dauntsey guns had eley match were good but like the lapua expensive.)

munkjack- not quite what you were looking for,but how about:

CCI Copper 22-lead free copper particles and polymer compressed into a 21g hollow point bullet,at 1850fps. (it's just possible that sometimes avant guard PC California do us a good turn,though I have not seen any field tests of these as yet....).

The CCI "Quiet 22" segmented HP ammo seems to segment into 3 bits on impact;710 fps/45 ft lb at muzzle,673/40 at 50 yards,and 'quiet'but maybe only a short range option? Probably won't self load.

Both might be effective on small pests,offering something a bit different.Need testing in UK.

gbal

Archived