595 .20 Vartarg.

Early start this morning. One of a pair of rifles for the same customer.

I believe this one is going to be his truck gun.

He sourced a scabby old 595 and off we went.

IMG_1465_zpsc7d7trlu.jpg

Barrel is a Sassen blank in Tikka shorter profile. Finished at 16" and threaded 14mm x 1.

Chambering is .20 Vartarg.

IMG_1466_zpswmaqaguj.jpg

The trigger was then completely stripped, stoned, tuned and restrung. Parts painted and re assembled.

IMG_1470_zpsh4nkfk5v.jpg

Paint is Ceracoat sniper grey on all metalwork.

IMG_1471_zps28im1kpe.jpg

I think the owner is going to refinish the stock himself.Its quite a nice piece of wood.

IMG_1472_zps0dymhcu4.jpg

IMG_1473_zps1cnuz82a.jpg

Off to proof with next weeks batch.

very nice indeed,

a big fan of the 20 calibres.

I also would love to have a 20 tac bullpup, short compact and real handy for keeping a barrel at a realistic length.

Bob.

Actions of this age aren't suitable for blueing....they are usually full of pits.

To be honest, I tend to turn down blued jobs, as it involves chrome moly barrels. I,d rather machine pig doo.

I build an awful lot of rifles like this, I just don't usually bother posting them. This one is here simply because it shows how fast a rifle can go through my shop, because all stages are done on site.

Call me unfashionable, but I'd rather see more of these and less of the products aimed at the military fantasists.

Apologies to the OP and subsequent mails but need to answer the post above.

Rem 17

While everyone has opinions and likes/dislikes we try to refrain from stereotyping or inferring or presuming. So saying anyone who does no like wood and blued steel is some form of 'Walter Mitty' or similar is outside the spirit of this site.

One thing I've learnt is to accept all types of shooting, I might not choose to partake in some types, but that does not mean they should not exist. I've also found your mind and parachutes are similar - they both work better when they are open! :)

Brgds Terry

Smart looking rifle, am always an admirer of your work.. Just out of interest what would a .20 Vartarg with a 16 inch barrel be pushing out say 32-40gn bullets velocity wise? Only asking as I'm currently having what was my 20 inch .204 re-barrelled with a 26 inch because I didn't think it was getting anywhere near the velocity's I would like from a ' varmint' gun.

Regards, Ben

Apologies to the OP and subsequent mails but need to answer the post above.

Rem 17

While everyone has opinions and likes/dislikes we try to refrain from stereotyping or inferring or presuming. So saying anyone who does no like wood and blued steel is some form of 'Walter Mitty' or similar is outside the spirit of this site.

One thing I've learnt is to accept all types of shooting, I might not choose to partake in some types, but that does not mean they should not exist. I've also found your mind and parachutes are similar - they both work better when they are open! :)

Brgds Terry

Thanks for your comments, Terry. I certainly didn't say that anyone who doesn't like rifles with wood and blued steel is a 'Walter Mitty'. None of my rifles, other than my rimfire, have either.

Of course, admirers of the 'tacticool' look are welcome to have whatever pushes their buttons. Such rifles leave me cold, but I certainly didn't say they shouldn't exist. I merely said that I would like to see more rifles like this one from Dave. With all due respect, who's inferring or presuming otherwise...?

Thanks for your comments, Terry. I certainly didn't say that anyone who doesn't like rifles with wood and blued steel is a 'Walter Mitty'. None of my rifles, other than my rimfire, have either.

Of course, admirers of the 'tacticool' look are welcome to have whatever pushes their buttons. Such rifles leave me cold, but I certainly didn't say they shouldn't exist. I merely said that I would like to see more rifles like this one from Dave. With all due respect, who's inferring or presuming otherwise...?

Well you're the one who made the crack about military fantasists, so do the math!

I'm merely pointing out what you are selectively omitting from your posting history

"With all due respect, who's inferring or presuming otherwise...?"

Quite simple, the answer is you

Present yourself at the RBL match on 3 Sept or first round of the CSR winter league on 5 Oct where you can tell the 100+ at each match with an AR or rifle in a AI or McMillan stock that they are a Military fantasist

Happy to pick you up and drive you there

ETA: don't know why it's highlighting my text :mad:

Bradders, I don't think Baldie's thread deserves this. I would like to see more similar work. That's it.

Why are you telling me to go to some rifle range? I don't want to go to Bisley (too busy shooting ducks on the dates you mention) or to fall out with your friends, or anyone else for that matter. You build military looking rifles, I don't want one. We don't all have to agree on everything.

Moderators, please delete my posts on this thread as Dave really doesn't deserve the distraction. I apologise for daring to express an opinion out of step with the current thinking on the site.

Bradders, I don't think Baldie's thread deserves this. I would like to see more similar work. That's it.

Why are you telling me to go to some rifle range? I don't want to go to Bisley (too busy shooting ducks on the dates you mention) or to fall out with your friends, or anyone else for that matter. You build military looking rifles, I don't want one. We don't all have to agree on everything.

Moderators, please delete my posts on this thread as Dave really doesn't deserve the distraction. I apologise for daring to express an opinion out of step with the current thinking on the site.

Dave's fine, I shoot with him regularly and talk on the phone more than you'd know

But the point still stands that you have referred to people that shoot rifles other than wood and blued steel and "military fantasists" and are unwilling to retract it

So what are you going to do about it?

You have an issue and that needs amending

I can be here all night waiting for your attitude correction

Over to you

I think you need to actually read my posts, bradders.

Not really and weak

You're just trying to get out of it without actually apologising or retracting your comments

Post code and house number please, I need to drive you to Bisley so you can explain to the 100+ at these matches they are just Military fantasists

You are.

By using the term fantacist.

You are.

By using the term military fantacist.

17 rem your digging yourself a hole,

what you should of maybe said is....

i do like the looks of 'old fashioned' rifles.... keep up the good work baldie!

Post code and house number please, I need to drive you to Bisley so you can explain to the 100+ at these matches they are just Military fantasists

Is this a veiled threat? I would not expect such from an FAC holder and RFD. I did not say that participants in your chosen sport are military fantasists, but do feel that 'tacticool' styled rifles can appeal to such individuals. That's all. You are assuming that I said much more than I really did.

Archived