Best ear defenders

I went from inert muffs to a pair of Peltors after lots of research.

After about ten years the Peltors died, so I did more research, tried other brands (including MSA Sordin) and bought my current pair: Peltor Pro Tac II.

They are an excellent blend of build quality, inert protection, sound quality when switched on and ease of use.

Highly recommended.

maximus otter

I have a pair of sordins and the electronics are crap, half the time they don't work.

Great when they do work, but a pain when they don't.

If you're not fussed for fancy 'leccy ones, I've also got a set of plain old Pelter 'shotgunner' defenders, and they are spot on.

MSA Sordin, especially with the fluid ear seals - very effective sound deadening, excellent electronics and so comfortable. Way way better than the Peltors I had before and with much better battery life.

so it's peltors or sordins , I'd suggest trying both and seeing which you prefer ?

as a side note , sordins aftersales was superb

What did you need aftersales for? Cheers

more than a year after I brought them the head band broke , I returned them to sordin asking for a quote to repair them and they returned them straight away , repaired and serviced and no charge , I made them aware as well that they were out of warranty. pretty good service I think

For me, hearing protection is a bit like Brown Dog's never ending search for the ultimate green coat. I own both a pair of MSA Sordins with gel cups and some Peltor Comtac XPs. They are both fantastic, but one thing to bear in mind is that the MSAs have rather shorter adjustment. My ears end up feeling rather scrunched up in the bottom of the cups, which drives me crazy after a while. Or maybe I just have a big head and big ears!

Anyway, the Peltors are my favourite and I always now wear double hearing protection, with some Green Leopard custom plugs with a filter underneath the muffs. If you crank up the microphone, you can hear just fine.

I found the best ear defenders are my fingers

Your shooting must be interesting when you employ that method.

Peltor Optime III........my son worked air-side for Fedex and got me a pair that had been bent and had been thrown out.

10 minutes straightening them out and they are the best ear defenders you could wish for.

G

i have some Peltor ComTac but I find the cut of level quite noisy so added some thin neoprene covers internally as I am not sure you can adjust the attenuation on these

indoor pipe range and they dont do enough for my delicate ears

good now though

I have some of the howard leighton 'impact sport' and find that with over ear muffs my ears get hot and uncomfortable very quick,,

The best sound reduction i find is correctly inserted foam disposable ones, but you struggle to hear without removing them.

I have some of the howard leighton 'impact sport' and find that with over ear muffs my ears get hot and uncomfortable very quick,,

The best sound reduction i find is correctly inserted foam disposable ones, but you struggle to hear without removing them.

It's worth remembering that hearing damage can also occur through sound travelling through the temporal bone which 'muffs cover for the most part, for the really loud stuff or shooting indoors it's worth considering plugs and 'muffs together.

Afraid to say this is a huge red herring- all damaging noise from small arms is via an air-conducted route. Bone conduction is irrelevant.

The air/flesh interface has very high acoustic impedance, at least 40 and generally 50dB less sensitive than the normal air conduction route through the ear canal/middle ear. 40dB is greater than the best grade of ear muff/plug, esp from mid frequencies up which are the important ones.

Chris-NZ (Clinical audiologist)

Archived