Loading the 6.5CREEDMOOR whith diferents powders...

BERGEON

Mine wouldn't eject after a few rounds through it, stripped the bolt and fount the ejector pin was as rough as a badgers rear end and was jamming. Spent 10mins smoothing and polishing it and no more problems.

Just to add that after eventually getting a replacement firing pin (took about 3 months!) no more light primer strikes :)

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine wouldn't eject after a few rounds through it, stripped the bolt and fount the ejector pin was as rough as a badgers rear end and was jamming. Spent 10mins smoothing and polishing it and no more problems.

Just to add that after eventually getting a replacement firing pin (took about 3 months!) no more light primer strikes :)

Thanck for your reply!

Look at here for explain my eject prolem on my Ruger Precision Rifle :

https://youtu.be/2_SzOzX0hOQ

It was realy the same troubles ?

A+

Laurent.

Looks very similar, case is coming off the extractor claw but not being pushed out by the ejector pin, next time it does it look at the bolt face and see if the pin is still inside the bolt not sticking out as it should be after unloading a round.

Take the bolt out and try pushing the pin in and out with a pencil tip or other small object and see if it moves smoothly.

Looks very similar, case is coming off the extractor claw but not being pushed out by the ejector pin, next time it does it look at the bolt face and see if the pin is still inside the bolt not sticking out as it should be after unloading a round.

Take the bolt out and try pushing the pin in and out with a pencil tip or other small object and see if it moves smoothly.

Thanck phaedra1106uk I actually did all these checks and everything is in order after this of ejection problems! The ejector plunger moove well when I pussit with a pincil, and the extractor look like ok.
I don't understant and I explain my problem to Ruger and Hornady Yesterday...
​Wait and see!...
A+
Laurent.

Returning to loads data for the cartridge, Sierra has just released a full new six page addition to its 5th edition reloading manual for the Creedmoor available online and providing a large range of powders for nine bullets from the 85gn HP to the 142gn MatchKing, also including the new 130gn Tipped MatchKing.

https://sierrabulletsblog.com/2017/01/09/sierra-bullets-6-5-creedmoor-load-data/

Note the absence of any Viht loads unlike for many cartridges in the original print version of the edition. This isn't a reflection on Sierra's view of their product quality or applications, more I believe on Viht powders being regularly reported in American circles as hard to find and much more expensive than 'domestic' products these days. (The mirror position for us.) However, as Viht has a comprehensive loads data table now, that's not too much of an issue:

http://www.vihtavuori.com/en/reloading-data/rifle-reloading/6-5-creedmoor.html

One valuable addition in the Sierra tables is that of Canadian manufactured IMR 'Enduron' powders, IMR-4166 for light bullets and 4451 for 123gn and heavier models. IMR-4451 is an excellent substitute for H4350 in this and other cartridges, and one that we ought to get to know a bit better as it will be increasingly 'pushed' as a substitute here, especially as (unlike the Australian manufactured Hodgdon extruded grades), it is 'environmentally friendly'. (Look forward to increasing restrictions on some makes of powders on this side of the Atlantic as all sorts of long-used chemical ingredients are banned.)

I tried IMR-4451 in the Creedmoor last year on a side by side basis against H4350 and got very similar (ie good) results with a 140gn bullet. I reckoned you needed getting on for an extra 1.0gn against the Hodgdon powder, and this is confirmed by the new Sierra data with increases of a half to 0.9gn depending on bullet weight.

Returning to loads data for the cartridge, Sierra has just released a full new six page addition to its 5th edition reloading manual for the Creedmoor available online and providing a large range of powders for nine bullets from the 85gn HP to the 142gn MatchKing, also including the new 130gn Tipped MatchKing.

https://sierrabulletsblog.com/2017/01/09/sierra-bullets-6-5-creedmoor-load-data/

Note the absence of any Viht loads unlike for many cartridges in the original print version of the edition. This isn't a reflection on Sierra's view of their product quality or applications, more I believe on Viht powders being regularly reported in American circles as hard to find and much more expensive than 'domestic' products these days. (The mirror position for us.) However, as Viht has a comprehensive loads data table now, that's not too much of an issue:

http://www.vihtavuori.com/en/reloading-data/rifle-reloading/6-5-creedmoor.html

One valuable addition in the Sierra tables is that of Canadian manufactured IMR 'Enduron' powders, IMR-4166 for light bullets and 4451 for 123gn and heavier models. IMR-4451 is an excellent substitute for H4350 in this and other cartridges, and one that we ought to get to know a bit better as it will be increasingly 'pushed' as a substitute here, especially as (unlike the Australian manufactured Hodgdon extruded grades), it is 'environmentally friendly'. (Look forward to increasing restrictions on some makes of powders on this side of the Atlantic as all sorts of long-used chemical ingredients are banned.)

I tried IMR-4451 in the Creedmoor last year on a side by side basis against H4350 and got very similar (ie good) results with a 140gn bullet. I reckoned you needed getting on for an extra 1.0gn against the Hodgdon powder, and this is confirmed by the new Sierra data with increases of a half to 0.9gn depending on bullet weight.

Thanck you very much Laurie for this post !

About the "ecologic powder" the same work for RAMSHOT By PB Clermont (Sorry it's in French! ;) )

Même le secteur de l'armement s'intéresse au label vert. A Engis, PB Clermont a mis au point un composant pour que ses poudres soient moins toxiques. Ce gros fabricant de poudre noire propulsive pour petits et moyens calibres a déposé 5 brevets. A Clermont-sous-Huy, il emploie 130 personnes. Il vend des barils de poudre à des fabricants de munitions dans toute l'Europe avec un chiffre d'affaires de plus de 25 millions d'euros, en hausse depuis 10 ans. Dans cette entreprise plus que séculaire, la formule de fabrication de la poudre n'a pratiquement pas changé depuis le début de 20e siècle. Mais après 7 ans de recherche, la Poudrerie Belge vient de mettre au point une nouvelle poudre qualifiée de "verte".

Une révolution dans le secteur de fabrication de la poudre

Le défi pour Alain Dejeaifre, docteur en chimie chez PB Clermont, c'était de changer ce qu'on appelle le stabilisant de la poudre: "lors de la fabrication de la poudre, on ajoute un stabilisant pour augmenter sa durée de vie et éviter des accidents d'échauffement ou d'inflamation de la poudre. Toutes les munitions utilisées lors de la première et de la deuxième guerre mondiale utilisaient déjà ce stabilisant qui s'est révélé toxique et même cancérigène. Notre but, avec cette génération de poudre plus verte, était de remplacer ce stabilisant par un composant neutre qui en plus, sécurise davantage la poudre."

Une poudre moins toxique pour ceux qui la manipulent

On peut s'étonner du paradoxe qu'il y a à créer une balle mortelle avec un composant non toxique. L'intérêt, en fait, c'est de protéger ceux qui manipulent cette poudre comme les ouvriers de chez PB Clermont mais aussi les clients fabricants de munitions et certains utilisateurs passionnés "comme par exemple, les chasseurs qui remplissent eux-mêmes leur munitions." Et puis il y a l'argument de vente: "pour la plupart de nos clients, c'est un atout marketing qu'ils mettront en avant . Ils veulent être les premiers à proposer un produit vert." Il faudra maintenant tester pendant deux ans la fiabilité de cette poudre "plus verte".

A+

Laurent.

My schoolboy French is a little rusty, but they are essentially saying that they have invented a new range of environmentally friendly stabilisers for propellants.

We often forget that nitrocellulose (and of course nitroglycerin for double-based propellants) is actually a dangerous explosive. It's properties are changed for use in propellants by the addition of addatives and stabilisers (usually a chemical called Diphenylamine), which slows the chemical degradation of the nitrocellulose into a dangerous state. When propellants are subject to temperature cycling and aging, using up their stabilisers, they can become very dangerous indeed - as the Cypriots found out to their cost when their store of confiscated Hezbollah munitions went crackaboom a few years ago.

Diphenylamine is a known carcinogen, hence the push to replace it with green alternatives. Eurenco (aka PB Clermont) have recently identified 5 different low-toxicity chemicals which have the potential to replace Diphenylamine.

I wonder how long it'll be before rifle primers get the 'hard word' too from Project Reach or a similar environmental initiative. Their primary ingredient is still lead styphnate as it has been since the US Army pushed for a better, longer lasting, compound for the 1950s T65E3 / 7.62 Nato. Although there are lead-free primers, the US Army keeps rejecting them as they are nothing like as consistent, stable and long-lived.

But that won't protect us civilian shooters indefinitely.

Not much danger of that as Governments have an exemption from REACH for matters of national security. As you say, they have yet to find anything that is as good as Lead Styphnate. As long as they keep churning primers out for military ammunition, us civvies can reap the benefit.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone.

Looking on QuickLoad it shows good results with Viht 140 and 130gn TMK, 139gn Scenars or 140gn ELD-Match so I was just wondering if it's worth pursuing as I haven't heard or read of anyone using this....

Cheers

Paul

Paul

That is interesting - I am looking to rebarrel the TRG in 6.5cm - was thinking of using 139 scenars - I have loads of N140 for the 308 and 223 and was surprised that it was not listed by Vihtavuori themselves in their reloading tables and app as a powder for the 139 scenars - N150 is listed but it appears slow vs the double base N550 -

anyone know why N140 is not listed??

Has anyone done much with RS60 and RS62 yet?

Yes I tried those tow powder in my RPR (24'' Barrel, 5R) :) Norma Case

RS60 gr : (LAPUA 136 gr “L”)

-38.5 = 749 m/s

-39 = 764 m/s

-39.5 = 770 m/s

-40 = 777 m/s

-40.5 = 792 et 810 m/s

-41 = 800 et 825 m/s

-42 = 849 m/s

-42.5 = 864 m/s

-43 = 878 m/s

My most accurate load RS60 (double base) is the 42.5 gr with 136gr "L

But after this first test I used the 139 gr LAPUA most accurate in my RPR ( thanck Laurie ;) ) with the RS62 (single base)

My accurate load is 44gr but I don't knox yet the velocity...

Always with the 139 gr LAPUA at 300 m, I tried N160, H4350 and curiously the most accurate loads with these 3 last powders are the same load 44 gr! :blink: (I don't Know the velocity yet!)

​Now I had 870 rounds throw my barel and I test the RAMSHOT Hunter with the 139 gr (always most accurate than the 136 gr "L"!)

​Here my next test to 300 m :

wp_20112.jpg

A+

Laurent.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I have a good accuracy in my RPR(at 300 m!) with five powders but I don't know yet the velocity !!! (exept the load 44 gr N160 = 2726 fps) My next test it wiil to measure those velocytys... The best load is with the USA's Powder H4350! 1f609.png

1_smal10.jpg

Wait and see... :)

A+

Laurent.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a choice of thr RS60 or 62, did you ever chrono your loads after?

Also I need to decide which head to start with, the 139 you think is the best choice??

And finally which small rifle primer to go with!!

Choices choices choices!

I have a choice of thr RS60 or 62, did you ever chrono your loads after?

Also I need to decide which head to start with, the 139 you think is the best choice??

And finally which small rifle primer to go with!!

Choices choices choices!

Hi pow1,

Sorry, I can't measure my velocity Yet !

Between the RS60 (same Powder Re17) and the RS62, for the accuracy my choice go to the single base RS62.

But If you prefer the higth velocity you must use the RS60...

My LAPUA Scenar 139 gr prefer a Jump .020'' in my RPR.I use RWS 5341 in my Hornady ans Norma case 6.5Creedmoor because in France we can't find the good Fed GM210 M... :( I will test soon the new LAPUA case (SR) ... :)

About LR primer look at this : http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2017/04/ultimate-large-rifle-primer-shoot-out-16-types-tested/

Have a good day!

A+

Laurent

Laurent,

Many thanks for the reply.

My rifle should be in stock in June! So have a bit of time yet.

Quickload doesnt show too much difference in velocity when getting towards the max pressures, so I may start with the 62.

If you do get a chance to test the velocities, id be very greatful if you could share it as real world rather than quickload numbers would be great!

Like you I think I will get the 139 scenar.

Can I ask what range of jumps you tried, did you go to the lands?

Many thanks!!

If you do get a chance to test the velocities, id be very greatful if you could share it as real world rather than quickload numbers would be great!

​Yes no problem, I share you all my velocity measures ! :)

Can I ask what range of jumps you tried, did you go to the lands?

For the LAPUA Scenar 139 gr I tried one jump : .020'', and I have a good accuracy ! :D

In my test with the LAPUA Scenar 136gr "L" I tested tow seatings :

- Jump .051'' with bad accuracy (COAL 2.808'')

​-With Touch the Land I was surprised beacause the accuracy can't ingrease !!! :mad:

A+

​Laurent.

• 2 weeks later...

Laurent,

Many thanks!!

Hello evrybody,

This morning I test my five reload,s vellocity at 100 m in a irregular Wind (20 Km/h) to grow in furious point to 40 Km/h... :(

Look at this :

dscn9411.jpg

What reaload you will choise to long Range 1000 m ?

A+

Laurent.

I just started working up some loads for 6.5 creedmoor and 39.6gr of N-150 seems to be quite good. Going to go with that and play around with seating depth.

I pulled one shot that put it out to half MOA the other 4 went within .25ish.

One thing I have noticed for some reason I am getting a lot of brass on the bolt face but no pressure signs going up to 41gr.

Even factory hornaday ammo left brass on the bolt face, any one know what that might be.

Regards,

Oliver

• 4 weeks later...

Laurent,

Thats very detailed and helpful data for me, im a little disappointed at the RS accuracy, RS40 in my 308 is very good...

Im hoping my tikka will actually be available in the next 2 weeks and then over then next few months I will tey some loads and upload my data. I think I will try the 139g scenars as well.

I will uae the lapua cases with small primer.

What jump were you using?

Many thanks,

Paolo

A friend has just run some test loads in 6.5 and he is getting just over 3000 fps with the small primer lapua brass and 139gn heads That's 914 m/s ...

Woaa!!! Very impressive this velocity just over 3000fps! (Without signs of higth presure certainly? :unsure: )

Can you specify the load and the powder Zzrpilot? ;)

With Small rifle the new LAPUA case are more brass around the Primer Pocket and perhaps a better resistance to the Presure than a Large primer Case???

(For Pow1 : For the LAPUA Scenar 139 gr I tried one jump : .020'', and I have a good accuracy ! )

​A+

​Laurent