My carbon barrel project so far-- AI AE mk111 308

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Goodness me , I didn't think it was possible to make a blaser uglier !

That was my thought, might be safe to shoot, but bugger me ugly like that has to be contagious.....

I have a Christensen 308 in Classic Varmint. It does what it claims (0.5moa) and has done so for several years now. I think it a great rifle with no shortcomings to date. Been used for stalking and boar on the Continent.

How does this new project differ - other than being built in the UK?.

I have a Christensen 308 in Classic Varmint. It does what it claims (0.5moa) and has done so for several years now. I think it a great rifle with no shortcomings to date. Been used for stalking and boar on the Continent.

How does this new project differ - other than being built in the UK?.

it probably doesn't apart from availability , ITAR can be a PITA

243 ack, have a look at the muzzle, is the end part of the barrel turned down or a end cap (be it a big one and made to look like a part of the barrel ) screwed on. Mine was screwed on. Measuring bore groove depth and thread depth on the barrel (liner) did not leave me feeling very happy. Seems like the UK version is using a full barrel blank turned down so should not have the issue my Christensen had. Your Christensen might have been made differently than mine of course.

I shot alongside Josh today and have no involvement in the project so speak as I find.

The barrel in 308 Win shot consistently well and accurately out to well over 1100 yards even in the high ambient temperature and with prolonged shot strings.

It certainly is much lighter than a steel equivalent.

It passes Proof so is officialy 'Good' and equal to a standard barrel re safety.

If robustness is a measure of quality I actually gave it a bloody good wacking with a carbon-encased steel rod...(felt like a completely unnatural act!)......not a mark!

No reason to suppose barrel life should be different either way but I would guess that barrel harmonics might be dampened so accuracy nodes might be easier to identify or be at closer load increment stages?

Whats not to like....especialy if looking for weight saving?

I shot alongside Josh today and have no involvement in the project so speak as I find.

The barrel in 308 Win shot consistently well and accurately out to well over 1100 yards even in the high ambient temperature and with prolonged shot strings.

It certainly is much lighter than a steel equivalent.

It passes Proof so is officialy 'Good' and equal to a standard barrel re safety.

If robustness is a measure of quality I actually gave it a bloody good wacking with a carbon-encased steel rod...(felt like a completely unnatural act!)......not a mark!

No reason to suppose barrel life should be different either way but I would guess that barrel harmonics might be dampened so accuracy nodes might be easier to identify or be at closer load increment stages?

Whats not to like....especialy if looking for weight saving?

Thanks a lot dave, firstly was great to get together with you guys again and if it wasn't for that darn smoke it would have been a great day, still we had some good shooting and a nice chilled out day so all was good.

Onto the 308- i was also VERY pleased as this was the first time i have shot it passed 200yards.

For the log the day started with two large white square steels at 500 yards and from a cold barrel i put a three shot group on one to suss out the wind, the result was great you could hardly tell the difference in the shot splashes on the steel. witnessed by friends rich and dave.

followed on to smash gongs and steel out to 600 with ease, today was definatly the most abuse the barrel has seen yet, could have cooked bacon off the bledy thing :) after getting carried away with its accuracy i stopped for lunch

after lunch i went on to play with my 243 with the lads on the 1114yard ISPC target they put out, after a shed load of lead downrange i was out of ammo. Untill i remembered i had a handful of 308 left. so onto the 1114 yard steel with the 308 :)

I only had enough elevation to dial to 940 so altered my app on the phone and looked how much more i had to hold over.

first shot- nothing seen.

second- splash in the sand two targets right

held left

third- twang

fourth- twang

fifth- twang

sixth miss just low.

i was over the moon with not only its consistent accuracy but was to date my furthest set of shots on target at range

thanks for a great day for who was there.

more to come soon..

• 4 weeks later...

Had the pleasure of shooting with Josh yesterday, and what a nice lad.

I also watched him shooting his carbon barrel. It took all the punishment meted out in an RBL match, including the 20 or 30 round stage, where a barrel is absolutely abused. It shot very well all day.

A rifle that WINS the long range .308 match , doesn't do it with a crap barrel.

I wish you every success Josh.

243 ack, have a look at the muzzle, is the end part of the barrel turned down or a end cap (be it a big one and made to look like a part of the barrel ) screwed on. Mine was screwed on. Measuring bore groove depth and thread depth on the barrel (liner) did not leave me feeling very happy. Seems like the UK version is using a full barrel blank turned down so should not have the issue my Christensen had. Your Christensen might have been made differently than mine of course.

Full barrel blank. Complete rifle imported for me by Craig at Third Eye Tactical (as was).

I think the linered ones are produced by another company trading under the same(ish) name somewhere on the Continent.

Had the pleasure of shooting with Josh yesterday, and what a nice lad.

I also watched him shooting his carbon barrel. It took all the punishment meted out in an RBL match, including the 20 or 30 round stage, where a barrel is absolutely abused. It shot very well all day.

A rifle that WINS the long range .308 match , doesn't do it with a crap barrel.

I wish you every success Josh.

Thanks a lot dave, very kind words, some good shooting taking part this weekend and I enjoyed it a lot. Safe to say I will be there every year.

Well Done Josh,

It was a great days shooting for all of us and you shot very well.

I wish you well with the project and look forward to using one of your barrels on one of my rifles.

It was good catching up yesterday.

Mark

Great to see this "dodgy" barrel do so well and in fact beat several naysayers yesterday without exploding and taking everyones eye out......unlike the brand new factory Sako that let go at Bisley on Wednesday (not that it took anyones mincer out, but it did kaboom)

I think your results speak for themselves

Well Done Josh,

It was a great days shooting for all of us and you shot very well.

I wish you well with the project and look forward to using one of your barrels on one of my rifles.

It was good catching up yesterday.

Mark

Thanks mark, nice to see you again and very kind words so thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Norman Crawford has won the 1000y prestigious Wimbledon Cup at Camp Perry 2016 National LR Championships using a Proof Research steel core/multi axis carbon wrap composite barrel (.284Shehane,200-16x).

The first major success for a composite,showing it can be done. (Accurate Shooter)

gbal

thanks for that info Gbal, nice to see people doing well with composite barrels, to be fair I think as long as they perform as a nice match barrel should then it's all down to the shooter as much as the barrel, a half min barrel/rig with a composite barrel is just as good as a half min gun with a solid steel barrel,

Apart from the fact it's half the weight and dam cool.

Watch this space this next week will have a new surprise on the barrel front, and might see a few more of you at Bisley in October ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Josh,

Any idea when these might be available, my stalking rifle in 6.5x47 will need to be rebarreled in the near future, it currently sits in a PSE Etac stock and I think it would be a cool combination.

Kind regards

Richard

hi richard i am hoping to be in production by early next year, jan onwards if all goes well,

few pics of the latest addition to the C2 precision range. new post has been started in the tactical section for it for those who are enjoying following this project. P1120377_zpsrzjsfaho.jpg

few pics of the latest addition to the C2 precision range. new post has been started in the tactical section for it for those who are enjoying following this project. P1120377_zpsrzjsfaho.jpg

Oh i do like this josh, that would certainly cut the weight down on my nv rig.... whats the specs on this barrel?

regards James

• 1 year later...

Old thread i know - but interested in how the project went? 

Im looking for a carbon barrel in cal. 35 (it will end as a 358 winchester). Hardy does not do this caliber...

how is it going for you Josh, are you producing barrels?

//Boris

Archived