Deviant.

Another one out for delivery last week.

This rifle is based on the superb Defiance Deviant action.

For those not Au Fait with this beauty, its an American action made from stainless. It has an inbuilt 20 moa rail and recoil lug.

The real beauty of this action, however, is that its magazine port is cut for function with either an AICS or AW magazine.

Bolts are spiral fluted and an oversize M16 style extractor. The primary extraction is massive, and the bolt glides like ice on ice. One of the few actions that will open easily and smoothly, without a trigger fitted. Always a sure sign of exact timing.

Anyway. This particular gun is fitted with a Bartlien Barrel in Heavy straight taper profile.

IMG_3446_zps0trmger0.jpg

The calibre is 6.5 x 47 Lapua.

Paint is Ceracoat Armour black, and the muzzle thread is M18 x 1. Fitted with an invisible cap [ which actually is...the pic has grease showing at the joint ] and also my 3 port muzzle brake. It also has an ASE Jet-z as part of the package.

IMG_3449_zpszyzwc1al.jpg

The trigger is a jewel unit.

IMG_3445_zpsjxwrp9j4.jpg

The stock is an AI AT model, fitted with the thumbhole grip conversion.

I keep all AI stock models, in stock, plus all conversion kits , in all colours.

IMG_3447_zpsbhzgk6gn.jpg

IMG_3448_zps0ezsp5bk.jpg

Don't worry....yours is in the queue , once I pick it up from proof.

I'm not worried ? I know it's in good hands ?

But I'm f#cking excited ??

Lol

Baldie, Just a quick note to say 'thank you' for the work on this. Collected today as usual excellent customer service and a top product. Certainly looks the part with the scope and the new handle on. Great setup and a very nice product.... Went to the farm for a quick shoot and this thing is silky smooth, a 'go to load' courtesy of LRcaptain and the new toy was one hole grouping with no tuning at all. The action is amazing, very smooth, massive ejection and a tight lock up, I can see why you didn't want to paint it!! Worth every penny and I am sure this will be a firm favourite over the coming months at the firing point. I will now start to hunt down all the old threads on here that talk about 6.5x47 using 123gr Lapua Scenars and Vit N140 as my starting point. Thank you again.

You are most welcome. Great to see you both again too.

If you send me a fired case up , in the post, i,ll make you an OAL case. :)

Meles,the increased popularity of the '6.5' calibre is now well documented,and has caught on big time in some US competitions,where it offers-in some cartridges-an excellent mix of performance,moderate very shootable recoil,and top components-in the often 'efficient' shortish fatish cases....

The raw ballistics of the main contenders (260 rem,6.6x47 Lapua,6.5 Creedmore) will not offer much to a 6.5 Swede afficionado,but all are close enough for hunting....(the 6.5 swede is a competent competition number in appropriate rifles,of course)

The real and perceived advantages are summarised in web cources such as following:

6.5 shootout_260Rem v 6.5x47 Lapua v 6.5 Creedmore( good on the slight deployment advantages of each)

Precision Rifle Blog:Best PR long range rifles;caliber and cartridge Pro use (from about 2012 records the swing to the 6.5s -and 6s- for the PR discipline (first hit variable range to 800y,realistic field shooting positions).

The Creedmore might,just might, just a slight edge as an out and out target cartridge,the 260 is more available in hunting rifles.Most 6.5 Lapua and Creedmores are full custom rifles (or semis),so their performance tends to be a little enhanced,probably-though a custom Ackley Swede might disagree at longer ranges...

Really,with the precision custom numbers,the combination of intrinsic precision,accuracy many shooters can achieve,and moderated recoil,with fair long range performance,they are very tempting combination,and adapts to several disciplines.So rightly popular.

g

• 1 month later...

Customer sent me this yesterday. He,s decided on his load, and this was a 5 round group from a cold bore. Cold barrel shot, then 4 in one hole.

Note. This is a 5 round GROUP , not a three round accident. :lol::lol:

Coin is a 5p for reference.

IMG_1690_zpstdim9p74.jpg

Customer sent me this yesterday. He,s decided on his load, and this was a 5 round group from a cold bore. Cold barrel shot, then 4 in one hole.

Note. This is a 5 round GROUP , not a three round accident. :lol::lol:

Coin is a 5p for reference.

IMG_1690_zpstdim9p74.jpg

That is very impressive

Alan

Thank you for posting that Baldie, I will be providing a full update on this on the N140 for 6.5 thread over the next few days as further work has been done culminating in the above result....

The load that generated this was: New Lapua brass, chamfered and primer pocket reamed, no neck turning as I don't have the patience and into Vit N140 36.0gr with CCI BR4 primer seated to 3.114" using the sinclair hex measuring tool on the .26 hole as it give be consistent readings. 3.117" is just touching the lands for reference.

Was happy with the 4 round group and am interested to see / learn how the cold bore thing works on this gun as that has been discussed on UKV of late) much of this has to be credited to Baldies machining and making decent suggestions on component parts, it 100% works as proven. Friday I will have a load of these rounds made up and taking the chrono that I stupidly forgot yesterday. Any way speaking first hand great product and much more fun to be had with this gun. Thank you.

We've noticed a lot of 6.5x47 coming out of Valhalla recently: what makes this particular calibre and chambering so popular ? We own several rifles in 6.5x55 Swedish and are very happy with them. Is there more to the 5.5x47 than it just being a short action ?

It is interesting this trend on the 6.5x55 vs the "new guys" I saw advertised for sale a 260 rem on long action and with a custom long throated barrel for heavy bullets. Given the 6.5x55 was designed for 160gr RN ammo initially (Quite long bullet throat and long action)... why he bothered with the custom rifle?

• 2 months later...

Yes it is and very tight group , interesting my 6br goes ¾“ low @200 so at 100 would be about the same difference from your main group . Enjoy it , atb

Archived