.22 Hornet Bullets

Leezie

Posted Today, 08:04 PM

Hi fellas (and ladies) Just thought I’d say hello to everyone and introduce myself. My name is Lee, 49-years of age and I live on the South coast of England and have been shooting for just over thirty years.

I’m a qualified deer stalker and professional pest controller, running my little business for the past twenty or so years. I’ve been shooting both paper and live quarry since I was a kid, but still have much to learn!

I’ve been “rolling my own” as it were since the age of 17, when I purchased my first handgun. I used to shoot practical pistol back in the day and that’s when I started the home-loading. I currently own a few .22LR's, a .22 Hornet, a .308 Win, a couple of .45-70 Gov’s and two, 6.5 Creedmoor rifles. I reload for all but the LR’s obviously. I also have a few other Section ones (pistols) and a number of Section 2”s. I do quite a bit of Urban fox control within the city and some rabbit work out in the sticks when comes along. Living in a city, I also do a lot of feral pigeon slotting!

Right, here we go…Here’s my first post asking for help!
I’ve got back into shooting my little .22 Hornet, after rather stupidly letting it gather dust at the back of one of my safes for a couple of years. So, I’ve got a few V-Max heads and some Speer SP’s and some good ol TNT’s in the reloading room, but I'm looking for help in obtaining some 40-grain heads for punching paper, but something that I can still drill a fox with (head-shots only).
’ve had a load (500) 40-grain lead-heads with gas checks made for me, but I still can't push them as quickly as I’d like and the accuracy isn't up to what I know the rifle is capable of. I’m not trying to make the hornet into something that it’s not and tend to only use it out to 120-yards, but as I said, am looking for a bullet that I can get posted to me with ease and reliably (so technically non-expanding).
I’ve driven to Sportsmans gun centre and various other gun shops (my local one is awful) in order to purchase expanding projectiles, but just can seem to find a “regular” and reliable supplier…Hence the assistance request from you good people.
My rifle is a CZ and prefers bullets in the 40’s…It starts to lose track with 50”s and it likes flat-based bullets more than BT’s. So, my long-winded question is; Does anyone know where I can reliably purchase jacketed 40-grain flat-base bullets (not loaded ammo) in .224. Thanks everyone. Look forward to reading and learning from everyone. Cheers, Lee. :-)

Has nobody got the Sierra Hornet offerings near you, people tend to forget them however they work well and are available in .223" and .224" dependant on the age of your rifle. (I shoot a 1930's Savage Model 23D)

I know you say your rifle prefers 40 grain but if you can get some 35 gr V Max and kick them out over a full case of Lil Gun, you will have your load. Never saw a CZ Hornet that didn't shoot it very, very well.~Andrew

Thanks fellas.

I know you say your rifle prefers 40 grain but if you can get some 35 gr V Max and kick them out over a full case of Lil Gun, you will have your load. Never saw a CZ Hornet that didn't shoot it very, very well.~Andrew

Has nobody got the Sierra Hornet offerings near you, people tend to forget them however they work well and are available in .223" and .224" dependant on the age of your rifle. (I shoot a 1930's Savage Model 23D)

Thanks fellas. Davy, no I can't seem to find anyone that stocks the Sierra Hornet bullets anywhere near to me. I have a couple of hundred Sierra SP's in 40 & 45-grain in .223 from years ago that are of no use to me as my CZ barrel is .224. Andrew, yes, I've tried the 35-grain V-Max and you're quite right, the gun loves them fully stoked with Lil Gun behind them! My local gun shop won't order any unless it's a case full! :-(

Archived