264 Winmag moderator question

Hi All and hope you are all keepig well ;)

I have just recently purchased a 264 Winmag and it has been screw cut with a 15-1 spigot thread..

Now i am expecting to be using 68-70 grains of powder ( poss top end ) when working up to the load ( we shall see )...

The question is .. i have a chance of a A-tec CMM-4 moderator which has been stamped for 6.5 - is this moderator going to be safe and man enough for this caliber???

If not some suggestions please??

Thank you for reading this ,

Ray.

I had a 30cal one on my .260 Ray and it got very hot after only 3 rounds ish, shooting 44gr RL17. Lovely light mod for stalking though! Blue Fox may still have it and it's in the same thread as you are after too...

I had a 30cal one on my .260 Ray and it got very hot after only 3 rounds ish, shooting 44gr RL17. Lovely light mod for stalking though! Blue Fox may still have it and it's in the same thread as you are after too...

Hi mate ,

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply - much appreciated!!! ;)

All the very best ,

Ray.

Hi Ray.

The info says that this is ok up to 308/30-06 level cartridges, ie non magnum.

I would look for something steel like the old favourite Jet Z.

You're burning alot of powder down a narrow bore, I think that the gas cutting on an aluminium moderator would be excessive (also depending on barrel length)

Atb Toby

I have a magnum-rated Tier-One Spartan III which works fine with my .300 WSM.

Another option would be a magnum-rated moderator from MAE - MAE mods are the most effective I've ever seen/heard.

I've used a CMM4 on my Rem Mag and put maybe 300 plus rounds through it with no issue at all. Still works as well as the day I bought it. You will be fine.

It will obviously deteriorate with use but they are a disposal item in my opinion.

I have used the same mod on my 6.5x284 and .284 win with no probs. I reckon it's had a thousand rounds through it in total and works fine.

Thank you very much to all that have replied - most appreciated!! ;)

Archived