Diggle Fly Shoot - 31st July

I know a lot of UKVrs enjoy our Fly Shoot - well this year Vortex have promised to get involved. They will have a full range of their optics on display - riflescopes, spotting scopes, binos etc and they'll be putting up a few prizes as well as the usual freebies.

It's an 'enter on the day' comp. so no need to book in advance - just turn up around 9.15am with about 25 rounds of ammo.

As usual, the rules are few - it's any rifle, sights, rest etc. (but no spotting scopes on the firing point please). For those who've not done it before, it's three 5-shot groups on a bullseye-type target with scoring rings and extra bonus points for group size. You'll get plenty of opportunity to sight-in.

Fly Shoot? In the centre of the target is the fly - hit it and win one of our coveted fly patches.

If anyone wants more info - email me direct on vinceb@targetshooteronline.com

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In theory, there are no rules against that but time may be against you. We usually get a decent entry and obviously I would want to get everyone shooting before I offered you another go.

I'll do my best but it depends on the day.

Everybody's GOT to shoot this comp at least once. See just how good you, your rifle, scope, and ammo are at 500 yards. Apart from scores and small groups which determines comp place, everybody wants to nail the DAMNED FLY and get a UKBRA woven patch. (Did it in year one of entering, failed ever since!)

Here's UKV's own star of stage, film and Barnsley with his target of a few years back with smallest individual group and very dead fly, shot with his own build 338LM. Yes, it's a younger, even more handsome Baldie Dave.

Baldie%20and%20Fly%20Shoot%20Target_1.jp

Thanks Mark - done. (I only use Photobucket for pics from matches or things to use on forums like this one.)

• 3 weeks later...

Thats the Record target Laurie, which still stands. Thats a few years back..... :blink:

Good pic for keeping the kids away from't fire.... :lol:

Hi Dave

Was that shot with your Surgeon actioned .338? and do your AX's shoot as well.

Cheers Paul

He was just cheating by having great big holes to increase his chances of nicking the fly and getting his coveted 'fly patch' - if he could have built a 45-70 accurate enough he'd have used that I bet! :):):)

I keep shooting between the damn insect's legs with 223s and 6mm cartridges - no break something = no patch! :(:(:(

Seriously, that was some 500-yard group for any cartridge never mind the heavy recoiling 338 - and there are two very solid hits on the ~1-inch height fly pic.

Hi Guys,

never shot here before. Do you have to be a club member to shoot this comp and is there an entry fee?

Thanks,

Ian.

Deadcentre - just turn up on the day for about 9.15am. Bring around 25 rounds and the £15+£5 entry fee.

See you there.

A silly question..
Is this a just once a year comp?

A silly question..

Is this a just once a year comp?

yes

Hi

Do you need to have target shooting on your fac to enter ?

Thanks

no-the GP will confirm

Hi

Do you need to have target shooting on your fac to enter ?

Thanks

I can't answer this. In the past, you needed to have target shooting on your FAC to enter a competition - as I understand it.

But, since we got the 'running boar' at Diggle we contacted the Home Office saying how is it sensible that a shooter can shoot a live animal but not shoot a picture of one on a range? We received a positive response, saying that they were looking at this but honestly, at the moment, I don't know where we are with it.

Almost everyone has "zeroing" on their license.

It would not be unreasonable to fire 15-20 rounds at 500 yards, to "zero" at that range.

If your conditions are not open, normally the landowner would give you permission.

By paying an entry fee, the club is effectively giving you permission, to shoot, that day, and zero.

I mentioned that Vortex would be supporting the Fly Shoot. Just heard that they will donate a pair of their range-finder binos for a raffle prize - every entrant has an equal chance.

cant we have a meat tray make it a proper raffle?

Archived