What's the current thinking on the bets tripod for use with a hog saddle or similar? I'm thinking along the lines of a manfrotto 055 as I like the versatility but what are others using? And is a carbon version worth the extra spend?

I actually wonder if the lightness of the 190 isn't a better bet, given the improvments of both the 055 & 190 in the last couple of years its certainly possible to downsize for photographic use.

If you can get into Derby you should find them both in the London Camera Exchange in Sadlers gate, if you take your Cad Monkey/Hog Saddle (and rifle) with you ask John the manager the if you can try them out the back of the shop!

I actually wonder if the lightness of the 190 isn't a better bet, given the improvments of both the 055 & 190 in the last couple of years its certainly possible to downsize for photographic use.

!

I had the same considerations as you Mick, I'm sure the 190 would work fine but I couldn't bear the thought of my rifle getting knocked or blown over so went with the 055, for added piece of mind. The carbon version was a step to far for my wallet, but if you keep an eye out in the various photographic suppliers they do come up quite often second hand in mint condition.

Money no object - Carbon 055 for me

There are really three things with sticking a rifle on a tripod, the tripod, head and connection method.

The tripod - legs, I started off with a Manfrotto 055 NAT3, very stable, very heavy very big. Good choice if you are only carting it from your car to the firing point and back.

http://s111.photobucket.com/user/davids-s1/media/19082010074.jpg.html]19082010074.jpg

I want mine for tactical comps so want the stability without the weight, Velbourn Geo Series carbon - light stable usable in sitting kneeling and standing with center section up. Manfrotto 190 Carbon is about the same thing. Gitzo (got one for the DSLR camera) better and more expensive - more stable.

http://s111.photobucket.com/user/davids-s1/media/03092014355_zps9d797dd3.jpg.html]03092014355_zps9d797dd3.jpg

and fits into my eberkestock phanton side pocket

http://s111.photobucket.com/user/davids-s1/media/03092014353_zps59ae09a9.jpg.html]03092014353_zps59ae09a9.jpg

There are other ways to skin this cat - Ewing and Ray-Vin are two that I have tried for a more compact option. I did think about a mega expensive rola*tube (RPA) sniper tripod, like the concept but slow to deploy.

Heads - ball joint of some form, best I have found so far is a Manfrotto hydrostatic ball joint head however a gimball head where the rifle is balanced also seems an interesting concept but not compact enough for me.

Connection to rifle, between head and rifle - ubiquitous Manfrotto RC2 plate attaches to rifle or hog saddle to tripod. Hard mount tripod head to rifle via picatinny QD plate (what I use on my AXMC) or if using a hog saddle / monkey clamp you may not need any form of tripod head if your rifle forend is tubular - mount the saddle direct to the tripod center pole - legs adjust for height and rotate rifle in saddle to get it level / square to the target.. I pan plate may still be useful though.

6.5 Guys talk about their tripod selection for PRS - worth watching on youtube. Also snipershide did some vids about using a tripod - "yawn" they show you how to use a tripod if you are sat behind it for 30 seconds, last time I was stuck behind one was for 3 hours - uncomfortable to say the least..

I had the same considerations as you Mick, I'm sure the 190 would work fine but I couldn't bear the thought of my rifle getting knocked or blown over so went with the 055,

To be honest I'm using 3 broom handles, we have both 055 & 190 in the shop in all configurations and materials.

I guess I like the traditional rifle support! :)

To be honest I'm using 3 broom handles, we have both 055 & 190 in the shop in all configurations and materials.

I guess I like the traditional rifle support! :)

Nothing wrong with traditional Mick, if it ain't broke.........

• 2 weeks later...

Depends.

If you are going to haul it for stalking then carbon is excellent. Otherwise is the extra spend worth it? Up to you. If there are other uses...

Hog/Pig saddle is perhaps not the ideal solution as there are possibly more rigid fixings for specific rifles, however as a flexible solution for a variety of rifles it is very good.

I shoot a Pig on a carbon manfrotto both up the hill and on the range. It is nice as I can set the tripod up so if the deer appear, movement is minimised.

As an aside I bought an old bergen as a deer sack and can strap both the rifle and tripod in to the side loops for a more cost effective solution than the Eberlestock. They are very nice but ££ for chucking a deer in.

I have the Eberlestock phantom but would say it is over rated and mainly too heavy. Trying to find a better alternative with a Tab gear rifle cover and smaller pack at the moment.

• 1 month later...

Archived