accuracy international AT or AX?

spartan7510

just curious, would like some feedback on which is favourite. If someone has shot with both, their feedback would be appreciated. While i like the tactical look of the AX 308 , im thinking for dual purpose - hunting/target shooting - the AT 308 looks more solid/robust and looks more or a hybrid between tactical/hunting rifle. While I am of the opinion that both would shoot fairly well at Bisley, what would I want to be walking around the bush in Africa with?

Walking round the bush in Africa with either of them would mark you down as a proper cock.

why would that be the case? ive seen a lot of folk using thier AI for hunting in the uk. if only have space for one 308 on your ticket and want a rifle for both target and hunting ( i go back to SA often) then what would be a good choice....

There is no doubt that AIs are fantastic rifles. But unless you are a super fit young squaddy, I would imagine that trekking around with a 20lb rifle in 40 degree heat would soon get rather 'emotional'.

In my view, you would be far better off getting a Tikka or Remington footprint rifle with a 24 inch or so medium palma or varmint profile barrel, bedded into a lightweight synthetic stock from PSE or Macmillan.

I would suggest the AT unless you are planning to add night vision and other bits and bobs that require a rail. I would also recommend the folder. You will find they are equally accurate/robust/reliable.

I took my AT to Texas last summer and spent a week in 40 degrees and almost 100% humidity lumping it around. I went with a 20" barrel but it still weighed 18lbs. Honestly wasn't a problem for me, I used a quality sling/pack and shot over 700 rounds (so yes I was carrying a lot of ammunition each day, water and other items). I've just booked Georgia/Tennessee for this year so yes I would do it again. If you are fit you won't have a problem and you will find many AIs shooting the Steel Safari in the Arizona desert which combines shooting, land nav over 10-20 miles per day.

I would have no hesitation taking it to Africa having grown up in the Tanzanian bush 3-hrs flight from the nearest city and living in the butt end of nowhere for quite a few years. If you are going on a top end / posh hunt where you literally drive up to the wildlife I'd agree with Shuggy but if you are going rough or really into the bush the AI will serve you well if you are fit enough and if you pack light.

My main stalking rifle is an AI AX, I dont have an issue carrying it through woodland, hill or grassland in this country.

I take a few deer a year on my own ground or as part of a cull team.

Its never failed me, I couldnt care less what it weighs, I know its 100% reliable.

Im 50, reasonably fit and deliver the goods when required.

The rifle I use is an efficient killing tool and very accurate for targetry if required.

Spartan, I did a quick comparison of my AW vs Axmc in the tactical section. Two things I would add re your question: firstly the Axmc can fit into a more compact travel case as the forend tube can be removed with two screws. You can see what I mean on sniper- scout forums under bolt action rifles in the pinned AI thread. Case size is set by barrel length.

Secondly. The beauty of the Axmc for me is to start off with a long action in 338lm or 300wm (338 not being allowed at Bisley) and a 308 conversion. Train of thought being use a 338lm with 20" barrel for compact transport and to knock big stuff over in SA and a 308 24" or 26" barrel for Bisley mc queen's etc.

Both systems have worked for me from -30c in snow to +30 in sand, robustness is synonymous with AI products.

• 2 weeks later...

Having a few AI rifles , I would say you would be hard to beat having 2 , a AXMC in 338 & a AT308 , and call it a day .

Rather than 1 AXMC and 2 conversion kits , 308 & 338 etc , the price of both options would be close to even , BUT much more real value for money & much more practical .

The AXMC when used to shoot a shorter cal like 308 , has issues , and I think is no where as reliable as the dedicated 308 AW/AT action & magazine etc , users of the AXMC when using it in 308 has had problems , the mag adapters did not work & had to be re-designed etc and made out of a different material , the bolt dia on the AW/AWM/AWSM is 20mm , and the bolt dia on the magnum AX is 22mm , and the 10rd 308 AW mag was designed for the 20mm dia bolt , and not the larger 22mm bolt .

But thats just my take on it .

Later Chris

• 6 months later...

Sorry to wake a gently slumbering thread but..

I am looking to get an AXMC in 308 but in long action and hence starting out with the 308 mag conversion etc so that I can use 338 etc in the future

Is the conversion really significantly less reliable than the dedicated short action AI's??? and is this still the case??

I am looking at range work and would use the Blaser R8 for stalking so its not life and death but consistent misfeeds would irritate me.

Has anybody got reliable first hand or even good second hand (a mate, solid thread on proper site) experience here?

Thanks

The new metal magwell conversion from 338 to 308 works perfectly. Its a superbly engineered unit and fits as tight as a chickens lip.

The rifle has to be bought as a .338 and then the bolt /mag conversion as aftermarket [ for proof purposes ]

Sold a couple.They are really nice. Had I not already owned an AW and 2 AX's , I would have gone this route. 1 gun and 1 scope.

Dave

just missed you - left you a message on your mobile

I understand you can buy the long action converted as a .308 instead of having the 338 on your ticket and buying the as a 338 and then getting a variation for the barrel - you just have to pay the long action price (£700 or so extra) rather than the short action price

will call you next week

best James/Hobbit

My main stalking rifle is an AI AX, I dont have an issue carrying it through woodland, hill or grassland in this country.

I take a few deer a year on my own ground or as part of a cull team.

Its never failed me, I couldnt care less what it weighs, I know its 100% reliable.

Im 50, reasonably fit and deliver the goods when required.

The rifle I use is an efficient killing tool and very accurate for targetry if required.

Good for you keeping up the rep for us old farts.

I have an AX as well, love it. I also use it as a hedge or bonnet gun, but have limited enthusiasm for lugging it up the hill. There is enough to pull with a carcass and the other kit without the extra 7lbs over a varmint rifle.

Clearly it can be done but why bother, there are other systems which will do the job with less weight = more stamina = more ground covered = more kills

Archived