help help help

Swarovski1

Robert from forster rang me today.asked me to post die set back to hannams so to catch the next shipment back to the US.now that's 3 lots of postage.as they were all primed I ran some back through the die as is with expander and spindle in until they started doing this.no lube on necks to pop primers out

post-12052-0-72207600-1466001388_thumb.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'Foreskin' shoulder....

You're really not having much luck.

Yeah it the new swarovski 6.5/7mm x 47

I deprimed enough to send back with the dies.i was expecting it to do that on the first case but about 10 deprimed before it crushed one down.i guess the lube on expander ball was gone.i didn't get to where it cams over.am sure case would of got stuck.my rifle will be heading to proof tomorrow.got no dies and scrap brass

What are you trying to do to your brass if you haven't got your rifle yet? If they are brand new cases all you need to have done is run a 6.5 mandrel down them just to make sure the necks aren't dented then load and shoot um!.......isn't it?

That's what I did with the first die that scraped the brass off.i neck turned the ridge off the die made.polished them up then ran the necks through with the replacement die that has a 7mm expander ball on it which I obviously didn't know until I primed the 200 and went to seat the first bullet and it fell inside the case.after emailing hannams and forster the top man at forster rang me a day later than arranged.he asked me to deprime some cases to post back with the dies.which I did proceed to do with the die as is as they wanted the dies back in a hurry.did 8 or 9 and it started crushing them.its been a bit of a roller coaster ride and alot of wasted hours prepping them and 3 lots of postage too.all because some of the lapua case necks were buckled.the whole thing as been a disaster . just for the record I've not got a decapping die.ive never had one or needed one until today.hopefully this is the end of this and my rifle goes through proof ok.forster get a set of dies to me that are good to go and replace my brass as I am not doing anymore too them just to find the rifle doesn't shoot with them.

Hi John

It's not a bushing die just a fl die.as I now have another die in another calibre that does use a bush what side do they go up ?.writing up or down.to be honest I've not looked at it proper yet and I did text spud asking him exactly that but he didn't reply.he supplied the new die.brass.neck turned it and resized 100 cases for me.now I've a neck turning kit I will follow what spud has done.ive taken measurement but I've be trying hard to get ready for the 6.5x47 for when I get it back.its been a right palava.am well fed up with it now.

Hi John

It's not a bushing die just a fl die.as I now have another die in another calibre that does use a bush what side do they go up ?.writing up or down.to be honest I've not looked at it proper yet and I did text spud asking him exactly that but he didn't reply.he supplied the new die.brass.neck turned it and resized 100 cases for me.now I've a neck turning kit I will follow what spud has done.ive taken measurement but I've be trying hard to get ready for the 6.5x47 for when I get it back.its been a right palava.am well fed up with it now.

I meant just use one of these on your new brass just to take any dints out of the necks. Just seems unessesary to FL size new brass.

if I knew about them before hand I would of.i always used the fl die and just ran the necks through.never ever had a problem until this.maybe if I started out as a target shooter I might of learnt about them years ago.i hunted until 4 years ago and gad no knowledge on it and what I did know about it was I thought they were for necking up .I've gained alot more knowledge since this all started.

Anybody got any ideas on how to yet again salvage these 6.5x47 cases now they been over a 7mm expander ball.i don't wanna touch them really but I don't wanna have to buy anymore either but my rifle will be back from proof house in a few days all being well.got no dies either as they've been sent back

I think your cases have been battered more times than one of Stan Collymore's girlfriends so I'd sling them and start a fresh. Buy 100 new ones, run a 6.5mm mandrel down them (don't bother fl resizing) load, shoot them and enjoy your new gun!

Forster dies have not done me any favours recently that's for sure.if I don't see any replacement lapua brass Mr forster he will receive nothing but bad publicity from me.2 consecutive dies faulty.something is wrong with the quality control.this is a so say precision engineering lol

Forster dies have not done me any favours recently that's for sure.if I don't see any replacement lapua brass Mr forster he will receive nothing but bad publicity from me.2 consecutive dies faulty.something is wrong with the quality control.this is a so say precision engineering lol

A bad craftsman........seem to see a trend with your posts :-)

I recently had the same problem with Forster FL dies in 6.5 and 6BR...........cases crushed and jammed in the die.

Looks like the outer neck section of the die body is too narrow, certainly for the Lapua cases.

Binned 'em and bought Redding type "S" plus some body only dies.

H/man

Ooowch mike, i never said I was a craftsman in this area but ive always got my rifles shooting superbly.i admitted I played a part in the damaging of all the brass in the first place but salvaged them,that does not take away the fact that the dies were at fault anyway,for a second die to be at fault is unbelieveable,I didnt realise i was trendy, I have more question than answers, I wont comment on things I dont know about and I am not a keyboard warrior.

Seems like forster are not replying to my emails now requesting another replacement die and 100 brass to go on with.

I'd be surprised if Forster would supply you with new brass!!

There should be some compo due to faulty die's. £180 worth of brass.i want the whole 200 replacing andy.i was told to make up a few inert rounds after fl sizing some to see if they chamber.am not really intrested in fire forming them as that would be more messing around and another 200 shots off the barrels life.i can't do anything with them anyway as I've not recieved another replacement die.i will give it a few days then ask hannams for my money back and my postage costs.

There should be some compo due to faulty die's. £180 worth of brass.i want the whole 200 replacing andy.i was told to make up a few inert rounds after fl sizing some to see if they chamber.am not really intrested in fire forming them as that would be more messing around and another 200 shots off the barrels life.i can't do anything with them anyway as I've not recieved another replacement die.i will give it a few days then ask hannams for my money back and my postage costs.

Well if you want to hang on for weeks and months waiting for Forster to get you some new brass that's up to you. £180 is bugger all compared to the amount we all spend on shooting. I'd bite the bullet (pun intended) and buy some new brass, Redding dies and crack on from there.

maybe a bit late but both the Expanders on the 6.5x47 Redding comp dies I have are 0.262" diameter

I dont use the expanders as I use neck bushings ( .288")

Yep expander ball was definately a 7mm ball.so many different ways to size etc.is there a real difference to group sizes.i could regularly shoot small holes with a basic rcbs fl die and seater.i went for the forster because I had really good results in the past and vince bottomleys recommendation.since then Laurie holland was very surprised that I had 2 faulty die's. He too rated them highly.somethings gone wrong somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

After another email forster replied today and said they got the dies back yesterday. they checked the die.changed the 7mm expander ball to 6.5 one and resized some of the cases and said they checked out ok and they had put a micrometer adjuster on the seater.they asked for my postal address.as advised I suggested they should make up a few inert rounds and see if they will chamber in a 6.5x47 rifle.if they won't chamber then the brass is scrap.they didn't reply to that yet.i would of taken a hit on the die's but £180 worth of brass is a no no.i was glad to get a reply from forster and hopefully it can be sorted where both parties are happy . hannams only sell the product so I've no grievance with them.

Archived