forster fl sizer problem

Swarovski1

Hi all

I've recently got a new forster br 6.5x47 die set.the other night I set it up and ran the necks through on 200 new lapua cases.it wasn't near the end of them I noticed some brass around the shell holder.i got my glasses and and the die had been scraping brass off all around the neck.all of them were the same.i sent a ukv guru a pm and he said take out the spindle and run a case through the die body.exactly the same happen.i thought I would try a fired and a resized 6.5 06 case.the fired case wouldn't go in.the sized case did but it damaged the neck the same.i only went part way down the neck so it shows in the photo.lookes like die is wrong dimensions.it does say 6.5x47 on the die itselfpost-12052-0-22854700-1464333636_thumb.jpgpost-12052-0-22854700-1464333636_thumb.jpgpost-12052-0-22854700-1464333636_thumb.jpg

I had a quick response from forster.they asked the obvious questions and said the new brass may have scratched them.i actually chamfered cases in and out before I ran the necks through.saw a few out of shape that's what made me change mind and neck them.

There has been several emails back and forth and ive sent photos of the 47 brass and dies, ive emailed hanams too explaining things asking for another replacement die set and asked what's gonnabe done about the 200 new brass cases that are probably scrap now, this new calibre thing is becoming not worth it, ive been looking forward to it and this has ruined it grrrrrrrr

Neil I hope wrong. But I can just see them saying something like that. Do you think if it went back through a decent die it would be any good?

I am not sure tuck.never had anthing like this before.used forster dies before.not sure if fire forming them would change anything.its like they've been neck turned and my chamber is a no neck turn reamer.they maybe too slack now.some I measured case wall thickness at the neck and it varied from 12.5 thow to 13.5.i think there ment to be 14 thow.

Here is some of the 47's cases.did take a picture of 5 but had to crop so I could post.i ran the the case frew just shy of she'll holder as I didn't want it to cam over and fl them.you can clearly see where the die stopped shaving brass off.case necks were lubed so process was smooth.

post-12052-0-77425300-1464381068_thumb.jpg

Hi I have the ultra set of 6.5x47 Forster dies & neck bump die set in 6.5x47 & in 22.250 too. When I used the 47 fl die I had problems with a stuck case. I new in all my years of experience some thing wasn't right. I emailed them & sent the bench rest fl die back to be told it ain't been finished right by Forster. I got hit again for import duty on return but to me it still ain't right. The headspace on the 6.5x47 fl size is all over the place & I have lost faith in the die so sacked it off the 22.250 die set is spot on with no faults & the 6.5x47 micromier seater & neck bushing bump die is great but the 6.5x47 fl die is wash to me. I'm going to buy a redding type s 6.5x47 fl die. You may have a die like I had that was tight & so out dimention it's mad. I won't buy Forster again now as the fl die is all over in headspace sizing its just unreal.

The brass shaving is quite unusual - I don't even get that when using a Forster 6-6.5x47 dies to neck down the 6.5x47 brass to 6mm. The problem must be a very sharp lead-in to the neck part of the die.

v-max - you say "the headspace on the 6.5x47 die is all over the place." Explain please - how did you check it? With a go-gauge and shell holder?

I am sending my die to hanams where I bought it from, as its within my 28 day money back law it xhould be sorted strait away, I dont want a refund anyway just it exchanged for another, they can send it back to forster as its there product they are selling.if these cases are scrap somebody has to replace them.

I'd have thought you need to replace them yourself. Ok the die may be faulty but resizing 200 before checking them and finding a problem ain't the die's fault? How did you set the die up in the first place?

Hi andy, I hope that is the case, ive asked one of the uk guru's but no reply as yet, I thought maybe the Gun Pimp may have too,the point at where the die stopped shaving the case will need turning because I may cause donuts on firing, I put 100 cases through the tumbler for several hours too see if it polishes the neck and take roughness off, I set up the die in normal way as instructions in the box.fl die only needs 1/8 to 1/4 for it to cam over and fl the case.the photos are of exellent image quality to actually see what die has done, I have no idea of what wall thickness needs to be on a no neckturn reamers to shoot proper, ive checked some of my several times fired 6.5 06 brass and its about the same, the thing is I cant see a fired 47 case will go in the die as case grows a rair bit on firing

I doubt tumbling will do much to improve the necks, I'd turn them, even taking only half a thou off then a quick spin with 0000 wire wool should get them back to a nice even, smooth neck.

Somebody at Forster did not do their job properly.

There was something similar on another forum. Forster saying to the owner that he should of chamfered his case necks.

Is there any chance of going to the store where you bought the die and swapping it for another brand or try to get your money back?

The bloke who emailed me back from forster said I should of chamfered case necks before running the necks through which I had done.he said lapua are terrible for it or something like that.ive got the emails I could post.if it shaves a necks running just the necks through it will crush fired cases

Faulty dies or not if you are simply setting the die's up as per the instructions then it's pot luck if that's correct for your chamber or not. You need to be checking how far you are bumping the shoulder back if you are using fl dies. Doing so and inspecting the very first case resized would have indicated a potential problem immediately.

The brass shaving is quite unusual - I don't even get that when using a Forster 6-6.5x47 dies to neck down the 6.5x47 brass to 6mm. The problem must be a very sharp lead-in to the neck part of the die.

v-max - you say "the headspace on the 6.5x47 die is all over the place." Explain please - how did you check it? With a go-gauge and shell holder?

Hi tgp I only did a couple cases using the bench rest fl die & tried more lube when setting up. The third case on a coax press & the case stuck. I removed the case & took pictures I called spud with not much other than he could send it back or me so I did. I emailed Forster saying my concerns & my pictures but I new the die was not right I've set up a few in my years & this was just not right. I have the horaday headspace gauge kit. All my fired cases have the same size headspace I even did some buy just de capping the fired cases. I used this kit to set my 22.250 Forster ultra die set & neck bush bump die that I have had 2-3 years before my 6.5x47 came along. My 22.250 dies are great so got the same in 47 but the fl die stuck a case within 2-3 cases that I removed. When I sent the die back Forster they emailed me stating the die had not been finished right did it & sent it back but I still don't like it. I have cleaned it out & tried to set it up again with diffrent head space readings it worked ok on the first few & I'm thought it was sorted. I fl sized 100 cases & loaded them to find fl some will chamber & some are tight & over the headspace of my rifle. The neck bushing bump die is amazing to me & same every time but the fl 47 die I have is defo not right & it's been 2-3 years ago.

I've had a similar problem, brass trashed and jammed in die.................I've just binned two wrecked Forster FL dies, 6BR and 6.5x47.......they use cheese for the threaded bit down the middle with the button screwed on it, and the outer neck section is 5-10 thou too narrow.

It wouldn't look at new chamfered and lubed Lapua cases.

The bushing bump necksizers are OK so far, but the Redding equivalent with the bush and carbide button is better.

Pete

Thanks hautpman.maybe I should go back to the good old rcbs fl and seater die.i used mostly them and ive always been able to make ammo that can shoot very small groups.its certainly put me off of forster.i went for them again because one of our most well known users said they have the least run out.

Archived