Dangerous within 2 miles!!!

James19306

I am currently holding in my hand an empty box of 17 grain HMR ammo that my mate was shooting lastnite, it states on the box that it is dangerous within 2miles. So I put the details of the round into strelok and it is showing at 1000 yards a retained energy of 0.3 ft/lb? This is leaving me very confused because I would imagine .3 ft/lb would be about as dangerous as someone throwing a frozen pea at you so what is going on with these claims on ammo boxes. What is the truth?? I know strelok is maybe not the most accurate way of working this out but what gives??

Litigation; if it says 2 miles on the box,you have been advised and the manufacturer is absolved.

Maybe it errs on the 'safe' side-sensibly-but relatively few rifle shooters appreciate the range a 'slightly' raised muzzle will send a bullet (like 7 degrees)-over the backstop,and far away.

Nor would I care for a frozen pea in the eye at any distance/energy.

Take care :-)

gbal

I am currently holding in my hand an empty box of 17 grain HMR ammo that my mate was shooting lastnite, it states on the box that it is dangerous within 2miles. So I put the details of the round into strelok and it is showing at 1000 yards a retained energy of 0.3 ft/lb This is leaving me very confused because I would imagine .3 ft/lb would be about as dangerous as someone throwing a frozen pea at you so what is going on with these claims on ammo boxes. What is the truth?? I know strelok is maybe not the most accurate way of working this out but what gives??

I thought hmr ammo always got stuck in the barrel? :lol:

hughes,what is seriously misleading is if the .5% germs can breed like demented rabbits,and in a few seconds, you are back at square one!

Is it worse than "I got one group that had two in one hole and a flyer 1/4 inch away,probably me."

(and nine other even more random groups,that I'm not mentioning).

:-)

gbal

Whilst I think 2 miles is erring well on the safe side, I just checked and I don't think Strelok is giving a good answer here. It usually validates well with other software, but here JBM ballistics seems to be giving quite different answers. I could be missing something in the input conditions (the usual problem), but the JBM solution "feels right". It gives a maximum range of 1907yd (1.1 miles) with a terminal energy of 2.3ftlb. which I would call a dangerous energy, similar to an air pistol at the muzzle, unlikely to kill you, but I wouldn't want to catch it in my teeth.

Maybe Hornady mean 2 miles in space?? I mean really I know some of the other better performers can go a long distance but what calibre would it take to theoretically get to 3520 yards ie 2miles? Is there even a mainstream calibre that could potentially reach this. And what would the true optimal distance an hmr would travel?? How do you work that out?

about 10 yrs ago a child was badly injured locally (co. fermanagh) at school by a .22lr fired in the air to scare crows in a field by a local farmer i think it was reported as a mile away

I recall that. I believe the shot was believed to be at a bird in a tree on a small hill. The bullet contoured over the hill and killed a young girl by a head shot in a school playground a long way away. The shooter was never identified and probably did not even know of the deed.

I have always considered that it might be a sort of urban legend and I would love to know the truth with details, not my half remembered memories.

Can anybody confirm the real story?

Given the overkill of health and safety that we live with these days, I think anything that can impart energy equal to or greater than a mouse breathing on you would be described as potentially lethal.

I took my niece to see an animated film and was greeted with a warning that it contained mild peril. I wasn't aware that imaginary creatures faced peril of any magnitude.

Maybe Hornady mean 2 miles in space?? I mean really I know some of the other better performers can go a long distance but what calibre would it take to theoretically get to 3520 yards ie 2miles? Is there even a mainstream calibre that could potentially reach this. And what would the true optimal distance an hmr would travel?? How do you work that out?

Yep, for the second year in succession 6 of us have been invited to compete in the King of 2 miles match in the USA.

Most popular calibres for the match being, 50bmg, 416 barrett and the 408ct. Despite the hype around the 375CT none made the top 10 places.

Yep, for the second year in succession 6 of us have been invited to compete in the King of 2 miles match in the USA.

Most popular calibres for the match being, 50bmg, 416 barrett and the 408ct. Despite the hype around the 375CT none made the top 10 places.

So your not taking a 17hmr

I would be surprised if the 17HMR 17 grain bullet got much over 800m When it goes transonic its going to destabilize and that will slow it down a lot quicker

I would be surprised if the 17HMR 17 grain bullet got much over 800m When it goes transonic its going to destabilize and that will slow it down a lot quicker

[/quot

Hmmm.so the Strelok and JMB predictions must have been surprising?

I don't want to suggest such guides are definitive (though pretty good when meticulously accurate data are fed in).

A 308 can go 'tips up' by 800 yards,but I would not want one in the eye at 1200 yards,going slower.

We used to wonder at the old 22rf 'dangerous within a mile' on the box,and some testing suggested it wasn't dangerous to anything we tried to shoot at 400 yards-but that was us ,mostly. Still,no one was very keen on being half a mile away ,and in some line of fire from a bunch of less safety oriented experimenters......and there were tales of greater distance perils-subsequently documented,alas.

gbal

• 4 weeks later...

Archived