hawke scopes losing zero again

Guest luckyjohn99

Yep baldies right the good old fit for purpose is your trump card.

Demand a refund and go somewhere else.

Guest luckyjohn99

thanks to all for your replies..i went into the shop iand was told i can change the scopes if thats what i wanted but now the question what scopes shall i buy...the have some Meopta nightforce and leopold nearly all were 8 900 squids dont want to go that mad on a 1.7 ...john

LJ99

If you dont mind second focal plain scopes then a Meopta 4-16x44 Tactic would not look overly big on a 17 Annie- plus it will parallax down to abot 10m for close shots. The new ones have a round mildot (not that stupid diamond). Have 1/2 cm click adjustments - works well with a mildot. The new ones have an illuminated reticule as well. Glass and mechanics are good - done the factory tour and had one mounted on my 338 for a while. Not S&B or USO class - but not that price range either.

I`ve also liked the Loopy VXIII I had and Nightforce NXS.

If the shop is not screwing you on price I would pick the NXS though of the three - 5-25x56 or 8-32x56 with NP-R2 reticule or whatever reticule is in your other nightforce.

David.

Guest northernchris

John

I know the lads @ Rugby :lol::ph34r: Before you start delightful chaping them off,you must have told them how much you wanted to spend on your scope?????????? you are not going to get "CHAMPAGNE OPTICS FOR LEMONADE MONEY"

It will be interesting to see what Terry comes back with,as he is normally pretty on the ball.

Guest luckyjohn99
John

I know the lads @ Rugby :lol::ph34r: Before you start delightful chaping them off,you must have told them how much you wanted to spend on your scope?????????? you are not going to get "CHAMPAGNE OPTICS FOR LEMONADE MONEY"

It will be interesting to see what Terry comes back with,as he is normally pretty on the ball.

it was terry that recomened these scopes

Guest northernchris

The quality of "value for money" scopes nowadays is way way better then 20 years ago that said you still get what you pay for.Hawkes have a good name for themselfs in that area of the market and if there is a problem with it they should change it no bother.

Guest luckyjohn99
The quality of "value for money" scopes nowadays is way way better then 20 years ago that said you still get what you pay for.Hawkes have a good name for themselfs in that area of the market and if there is a problem with it they should change it no bother.

as i said b4 i went into the shop bought an annie and terry recomened these scopes money wasnt a problem ..terry took my gun home last night and took it out to shoot it to find the problem he also said he would take me out this weekend to shoot me gun and he would see how i shoot and tell me where i'm going wrong if i am shooting wrong if that make any sense it was terry who said it was a dirty barrell and that i could change them if i wanted to ...so i'm not (delightful chaping them ) as you say just telling everyone what was said..john and i told terry that i had been on here asking questions about these scopes and dirty barrells

Just a few thoughts:

1) I used a 3-9 Hawke scope on a lever-action Marlin in 44 for years and it maintained its zero perfectly. That doesn't mean all Hawke scopes will be as good but I wanted to make the point that they're not all bad by any means. The optics are OK for daylight shooting but not, I'll admit, in the S&B class.

2) I use a 17HMR extensively and it's fitted with a 2-9x42 Khales mounted low to the bore-line and I find it perfect. More magnification generally means more weight, bigger objective, higher on the bore-line, greater parallax problems, and (discuss) a temptation to take shots beyond the certain killing range of the round.

3) In my opinion a Nightforce NXS would be too much scope. The 17HMR is a hunting round and for a carry-gun for field use the NXS (great scope) would overbalance the gun.

4) I make a clear distinction between target scopes (weight not usually a problem, fine reticle, good tracking, lots of magnification, lots of elevation, etc) and hunting scopes (moderate magnification or fixed, thicker reticle that can be seen in poor light, good optics/coatings).

5) There are some very good 3-9x40 scopes out there (Leupold, Zeiss Conquest, Meopta) that offer excellent value for money, light weight and are (IMHO) perfect for the 17HMR.

Cornishman

• 3 weeks later...

You have to remember that the tolerances inside the scope come into play especially once you get outside airgunning range. I've seen this before on a cheap as chips scope. We knew the rifle would clover leaf at 100yds with a leupy on it, but all we did was chase a zero around using a valuelines scope. Most frustrating, but learnt a lesson.

Neil

I,ve always applied the rule of thumb...."if you cant see it...you cant hit it " with scopes.

OK, my eyesight isn,t what it was, and as such, i buy good scopes these days. There is no such thing as a good cheap scope these days....they dont exist anymore. When tasco,s were jap made, they were good, and a bargain...sadly no more.

You wont get a good quality scope in the top end class for 300 quid these days, and thats a fact.

I always used to laugh, in my biking days, when all the local shops used to sell £25 "moped" helmets... ;) absolute broccoli...i had, and still have a £300 head, so it went inside a £300 Arai.......kapeesh?

The only value for money, REAL quality stuff , is the hungarian, made german lensed stuff etc. Have a look at IOR [border barrels ] or meopta.

Archived