hawke scopes losing zero again

Guest luckyjohn99

Guest luckyjohn99

i have a set of deben hawke scopes 6-24=50 frontiers and for the third time in as many months i'v had to tonight re zero them in ...anyone explain to me why this happens

Funny youve put that.

Last night my uncle and I went on his permission to shoot some paper. As I am getting him into reloading for his 223 we set up and he fired at an A4 target and missed(100 yds ) ;) . The zero had been used a few weeks previously with no obvious knocks since. Factory federal being shot as normal. I fired it and figured with multiple POAs that we were 6 '' left and 4'' high ?

After a bit of piss taking we put it down to being knocked. The POI however was not very consistent, read diabolical.

I lost faith in the scope as we seemed to be correcting and then correcting the corrections and we agreed for the next session to change it to a spare one we have.

The scope was a Hawke 6-24x 44 or 50 mil dot with parallax on the front bell, not sure if this is the same model as yours ( target turrets under covers).

What calibre are you shooting it on?

I know this doesn't answer your question but at least your not alone. :D

My only previous contact with a Hawke scope was a friends that filled up with water on a wet but not torrential day :unsure:

Bruxie had the same problem. He sent it back to the supplier and got a refund. Just wouldnt hold zero at all. I just dont think there built for centre fire rifles even though i used to use one on my 270 with no probs..

Ads

Aug, I came to the same conclusion as the corrections seemed to be in 2 and 3'' and very unreliable. I couldn't put 3 shots together, but theres nowt new ;)

I mean A4 at 100 yds how big a target do you want?

Shame cos the glass ain't bad for the money.

Bin it.

my hawke was the same think it is a case of ((they dont make them like they used to))

i put mine back to the dealer i bought it from and was lucky to get a full refund when deben exchanged it for a brand new one i dont think they check them as it is very comon with these scopes

Guest luckyjohn99
Funny youve put that.

Last night my uncle and I went on his permission to shoot some paper. As I am getting him into reloading for his 223 we set up and he fired at an A4 target and missed(100 yds ) ;) . The zero had been used a few weeks previously with no obvious knocks since. Factory federal being shot as normal. I fired it and figured with multiple POAs that we were 6 '' left and 4'' high ?

After a bit of piss taking we put it down to being knocked. The POI however was not very consistent, read diabolical.

I lost faith in the scope as we seemed to be correcting and then correcting the corrections and we agreed for the next session to change it to a spare one we have.

The scope was a Hawke 6-24x 44 or 50 mil dot with parallax on the front bell, not sure if this is the same model as yours ( target turrets under covers).

What calibre are you shooting it on?

I know this doesn't answer your question but at least your not alone. :D

My only previous contact with a Hawke scope was a friends that filled up with water on a wet but not torrential day :unsure:

http://www.hawkeoptics.com/riflescopes/fro...r_sidefocus.htm there my scopes on 1 .7 hmr

His is a similar thing and not that old but he hasn't got the side parallax.

I spoke with him today and he's going to try and take it back.

Sorry to put it this way, but cheap scopes are cheap because they are for the most part crap. In the long run they don`t work out cheap though - add in time, barrel ware and ammo wasted chasing shifting zero`s.

Seondhand with a good warranty (Leupold) is a good start in a VXIII. Cheaper scopes I would go for as few bells and whistles and fixed power - just less to go wrong.

David.

Got to agree with what you said DS. Buy good quality or keep wasting cash.

However,

Having said that I bought a cheap Tasco from china for £18 with mounts and postage for the lads air rifle and it currently lives on the rimfire. Glass isn't the best by a long way but for knocking about its ok. Holds zero good but we dont click the turrets or anything, which is probably where the problem would start. Mil dot ret.

Guest luckyjohn99
Got to agree with what you said DS. Buy good quality or keep wasting cash.

However,

Having said that I bought a cheap Tasco from china for £18 with mounts and postage for the lads air rifle and it currently lives on the rimfire. Glass isn't the best by a long way but for knocking about its ok. Holds zero good but we dont click the turrets or anything, which is probably where the problem would start. Mil dot ret.

thanks everyone for your reply's ..i took the scopes back to the shop in rugby and he said there was nothing wrong with the scopes even tho i'v had to rezero them twice in 3 days ...he said it was because the gun barrell was cold that i had to shoot some bulletts into the ground first then the gun would be alright i this right or me being new to gun shooting or is he trying to make a fkin mug out of me..then he said that the mod was too long then the bullets might be catching the mod inside....its a 1.7 anchutz mod was made by local gun smith

thanks everyone for your reply's ..i took the scopes back to the shop in rugby and he said there was nothing wrong with the scopes even tho i'v had to rezero them twice in 3 days ...he said it was because the gun barrell was cold that i had to shoot some bulletts into the ground first then the gun would be alright i this right or me being new to gun shooting or is he trying to make a fkin mug out of me..then he said that the mod was too long then the bullets might be catching the mod inside....its a 1.7 anchutz mod was made by local gun smith

gun dealer there must be top drawer if we can tell a scope was of just by looking at it

seams to me he was trying to (((for want of a better phrase ))) blowing stoor up yer arse

as i said in my last post hawks are known for being cheap and not so cheerfull

all the best bruxie

LJ99,

try to eliminate the variables - first remove the moderator, POI will probably change as barrel harmonics will be different. Also check mounts both to scope and receiver are secure.

POI can change with the cold bore shot - I guess up to 1 MOA, but it is predictable.

"Box Test" the scope - shooting method. A collimator can be used as a poor second but does not take into account recoil - though theres not much with a 17 Annie.

Have box test results and several 5 shot groups (shot at 100 yards) in hand to take to the gun shop. Do the box-test and groups without the mod.

The gun shop may suggest the mounts are the issue - let them put them on and repeat the box test.

Did the gun shop test the scopes on a collimator or did they just use the force?

The idea is to leave little room for your friendly gun shop other than to admit the scopes are shite, mods,mounts and quality ammo are their first line of defense. Blow them off and get down to the issue of trackng - it either does or does not track correctly, a box test will show that.

If they do give you a refund consider a better quality s/h scope with an excellent warranty that is not limited to the original owner.

Also shoot some groups at different magnifications - this will show if POI is changing with magnification, another potential issue.

Hope it helps,

David.

Guest luckyjohn99

2 days ago i went for a shoot and missed a bunny at about 90 yards so i put up a target took some shots they were about 8 inches to the left so i got them back on zero with about 6 more shots ...i then put the my 1.7 back in the gun cabinet 2 day later i went for a shoot only for the same thing to happen it seems the scopes have gone to the left again i put both targets together the first shot was in roughly in the same spot only a nats nagger out so theres me problem..took the gun and scope back to rugby gun shop terry said he was going to take my gun out for a shoot with a new mod and try this that and the other ...maybe i should take an electric blanket with me so my barrell will be warm..(lol)...john

Unfortunatetly this sort of thing with cheap scopes can be a real pain in the arse.

So much less frustration with known good quality as the variables are less. As suggested remove the excuses one by one but I think the scope will be the answer.

What other makes does this shop sell?

Ask for a credit against rather your money back, he may be more willing to do this and it sorts your problem.

Good luck John.

Guest luckyjohn99
Unfortunatetly this sort of thing with cheap scopes can be a real pain in the arse.

So much less frustration with known good quality as the variables are less. As suggested remove the excuses one by one but I think the scope will be the answer.

What other makes does this shop sell?

Ask for a credit against rather your money back, he may be more willing to do this and it sorts your problem.

Good luck John.

i didnt know any better when i bought them i took the advise from the shop ..on my 223 i'v got nightforce now i know what shite i'v bought .i will have to wait and see what he says is wrong with the gun but if your read betwwen the line its going to be everything rather than them selling me cruckin fap sights...john

i didnt know any better when i bought them i took the advise from the shop ..on my 223 i'v got nightforce now i know what shite i'v bought .i will have to wait and see what he says is wrong with the gun but if your read betwwen the line its going to be everything rather than them selling me cruckin fap sights...john

still your nightforce is still not that good a scope :lol: but i would take it of your hands just to be friendly since you have been so unlucky with your scopes :lol:;):lol:

all the best bruxie

A dirty barrel does not cause an 8" shift to the left at 90 yards.

A thought - could ou mount your Nightforce on your Annie and shoot some groups - with a clean and then dirty barrel. Then ask your gun shop to comment.

David.

Guest Sprags

John, I had the same experience with a scope, can't even remember the name of it now but weren't a good scope. I had it on my 22-250 and it was poor to the eye in low light, the zero shifted from time to time too.

Just remembered,.....it was a EB,...Edgar Brothers!

It was wank, so I bit the bullet and shelled out £400 for a brand new S+B 8X56 and changed my whole shooting experience, the glass was far superior and the zero never shifts.

Get shut of it, put it down to a learning curve and move on. You wont regret it.

Regards, Sprags

p.s. Apologies for not phoning re: the .17 but I have been a bit busy. Glad you are sorted with one though, just get a good scope and you will be away!

Guest luckyjohn99
John, I had the same experience with a scope, can't even remember the name of it now but weren't a good scope. I had it on my 22-250 and it was poor to the eye in low light, the zero shifted from time to time too.

Just remembered,.....it was a EB,...Edgar Brothers!

It was wank, so I bit the bullet and shelled out £400 for a brand new S+B 8X56 and changed my whole shooting experience, the glass was far superior and the zero never shifts.

Get shut of it, put it down to a learning curve and move on. You wont regret it.

Regards, Sprags

p.s. Apologies for not phoning re: the .17 but I have been a bit busy. Glad you are sorted with one though, just get a good scope and you will be away!

hi mate these scopes were £380 i know its sort of cheap but the bloke at the rugby gun shop said they would do the job on my 223 i got nightforce because i was told to spend abit more so i did

I,ve heard some broccoli excuses in my time, but i reckon you,ve had the full complement there. The scope wont pass a box test, the bore being dirty wouldn,t move the poi by 8", and you shouldnt be more than an inch out with a cold bore shot.If the mod was 2 feet long, the bullet would still not touch the sides if properly fitted......he is pissing up your back. The sight is not fit for purpose....you are legally entitled to a full refund.If he whines, tell him you will be going to the citizens advice bureau next....get your money, and find a reputable gunshop .

Archived