Ruger Precision Rifle Updated

John MH

I lked the older handguard better , as I run a top rail bipod , the brake is no use to me , I run a can/suppressor , the shroud , I am not concerned about at all.

So for me , its no improvement at all , just a HIKE in the price of $200 USD .

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I the only one thinking they missed out the opportunity for those on the fence looking for longer factory barrels out of these.

.308 in 26" would see me buying one (an RPR, not just necessarily a mk1/2) as it stands, the .308 version seems nerfed, and although I reload, I'd prefer to stick with .308 a bit longer than move to this years wonder-calibre...

I'm glad i'm not the only one banging on about the 20" being too short.

Running the numbers between 5 different 308s all with the same load all bolt guns 2 26" one 24" 5r and two 20" one 5r one standard. The largest variation with 175 Federal gold medal match is 52fps. Wich is around 40 yards difference in the transonic/subsonic range.

Nicepoint,MTLF: the 308 is hard to keep honest by 1000y even with 30inch barrels...and would not bethe choice for that distance were it not for competition rules that mandate it (223 being too challlenging,presumably :-).

The RPR is also probably intended for US type 'Precision' shooting,where most is sub 1000yand there might be some advantage in a slightly more manoeverable rifle,shooting froimprovised positions.

Or,there has to be some turret clicking anyhow,so what does a few more matter? Most users on here-for this type of rifle-won't shoot beyond 750y very often....it is what it is ! (hard to argue with that :-)

While uderstanding those who would chose longer (as I have too,sometimes) I'd imagine Ruger have given this some thought and market reasearch -the 308 isn't unduly handicapped at 750 by a few inches barrel loss especially for reactive targets,rather than ...well,ultimate precision.

While on costs,without knowing how much extra the aluminum bolt shroud costs,and the muzzle brake,and the alternate hand guard...we can't coment on $200 more. (of course Ruger will buy in at some discount,so the one off retail price-if available-will be considerably more- the hand guard might even be cheaper than the original-maybe it's better for big scopes?-but the brake has to be $50-80,so any change in price needs to be correspondingly modified.

These do all seem more like optionals than a Mark 2 revamp,though,even though they might sell a dozen more here (if the Mark 1s run out). :-)

If the modal performance really is similar to most user feedback,it is still a fine rifle if you like the design,and probably still not overpriced.

gbal

Yes the RPR was specifically made as an entry level rifle for PRS (Precision Rifle Series) matches, no I don't compete . Aftermarket shrouds run about 50$ I put one on each of mine (308,6.5), muzzle brakes on mine were for fast attach suppressors, original handguards see no reason to switch. These are very accurate rifles and I only paid 1700$ for the pair.

And thats the rub , outside the USA , expect to pay 2-3x the cost of what they sell for in the US , right now in NZ the price is $2479 to a high of 3k , thats for the old cheaper model , at 3k NZD , thats roughly $2100 USD for one rifle , so while I can see they are a very good deal in the US , not quite as good in the rest of the world .

I wonder how many Yanks would be willing to pay 3x what they are paying at the moment ??

• 2 weeks later...

I had a play with one of the 'soon to be rare' versions in .308 early this week and I was seriously underwhelmed. It did not shake my rocks one bit. Apart from the fiddley butt adjustments, the barrel seemed too slender for my liking and gave the impression of lack of robustness. There again, it is only £1400.

I realise I'm probably in the minority as I've read several good reviews about this rifle. I'm just glad I didn't order one.

As for the price hike, it's only an increase £132 by today's exchange rate so it's no great shakes in reality.

The barrel felt to slender?? What does that mean? I'm with you on the buttstock: I hated mine from the start and replaced it, but I have no issues with the barrel at all -nor the speeds obtainable from the 20 inch tube. It is quite stiff. I load IMR 4064 to 2700 fps using 168's and get brilliant accuracy. When I find a hole in the wind I shoot fast and have never had a round end up somewhere it shouldn't if i did my part.

For what it's worth, MTLEADFARMER had an RPR in 6.5CM about 6 weeks after introduction. I got my 308 a couple of weeks later and MTLF got a second one in 308 two weeks after that. He loads for both and shoots them on almost a daily basis, and shoots them quite well. His idea of relaxation is shooting empty 20ga shotgun hulls lying with the primer end facing him at 200 yards, prone. He doesn't miss much. I am not one to tell anybody where to garner information but if anyone has any questions about the utility, technical aspects, or loading for the RPR in 6.5 and 308 you might want to ask him about it. ~Andrew

( I load for the RPR 308 but I have only one 1/2 MOA load so a conversation with me would be a short one!)

The barrel felt to slender?? What does that mean? I'm with you on the buttstock: I hated mine from the start and replaced it, but I have no issues with the barrel at all -nor the speeds obtainable from the 20 inch tube. It is quite stiff. I load IMR 4064 to 2700 fps using 168's and get brilliant accuracy. When I find a hole in the wind I shoot fast and have never had a round end up somewhere it shouldn't if i did my part.

For what it's worth, MTLEADFARMER had an RPR in 6.5CM about 6 weeks after introduction. I got my 308 a couple of weeks later and MTLF got a second one in 308 two weeks after that. He loads for both and shoots them on almost a daily basis, and shoots them quite well. His idea of relaxation is shooting empty 20ga shotgun hulls lying with the primer end facing him at 200 yards, prone. He doesn't miss much. I am not one to tell anybody where to garner information but if anyone has any questions about the utility, technical aspects, or loading for the RPR in 6.5 and 308 you might want to ask him about it. ~Andrew

( I load for the RPR 308 but I have only one 1/2 MOA load so a conversation with me would be a short one!)

I didn't say 'Felt' Andrew. I said 'seemed'. I guess it's just a personal perspective.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry. My bad. I'm often responding in the wee hours of the day before i've had coffee. Yes, a matter of perspective but from mine, having shot the rifle for the better part of a year now, I just haven't seen any objective evidence that the barrel might be too light. Shooting 100 rounds in 95F heat, or 10F cold, the last groups are as good as the first. I remember well the end of one range session last fall when is was still quite hot, a friend and his teenaged daughter showed up. I had been shooting at a pretty brisk rate up until then. The girl showed interest in the rifle so i let her shoot it. Ten rounds prone at 200 yards and she shot a 2 inch group: first time shooting prone, first time off of a bipod, no rear rest. Her Dad shot next and shot a cluster. When i got back on the gun I could see heat mirage coming off of the barrel. I put 8 of my next 10 into a ragged hole. I had to let the barrel cool before i could put it into the case. To me, all of the above indicated a good barrel of adequate mass. JMHO.~Andrew

Andrew you are definately coming over as the pr's biggest fan, I am warming to them myself,ive seen them for £1300 new price of late,my first impressions was I thought the muzzle of the barrel wasnt varmint size as I thought it would be,hopefully someone in the clubs I am a member of has one so I can have ago, I wouldnt go for the 308, I do fancy a 6.5 creedmoor but I do like the idea of a 243 again with an 8 twist, reason is I would like to try the 115gr dtac sierras.

I don't know if I'm the biggest fan, but I've had experiences with three 308's and one in 6.5 CM. MTLEADFARMER's 6.5 is crazy accurate: I'm certain you would like one. As to the barrel weight, when scoped, bipoded, slung, an sporting a full magazine, my RPR comes in just at 13 pounds. I'm not certain how much heavier I'd want it. Much of our shooting requires carrying the rifle (and other gear) across country. I'm gettin too darned old, I guess.

Now. the only negative RPR reports I am privy to ARE with the 243 version. Some say the barrel walks around. I have no first hand experience with them.~Andrew

Wonder if ruger have any plans on bringing out any different calibres now because of its popularity, I would like one in 6mm br, I am going to see how the 6.5x47 goes then it will probaly be my next rebarrel of choice, has any any experience with the barret 98b type rifle in 6.5 creedmoor

No experience with that barrel but as to caliber choice, the RPR was made so that the shooter could change barrels at home. People are already making aftermarket barrels here in the US. The barrels come off and on like an AR-15.~Andrew

• 3 months later...

The American forums seem to talk about the barrel creeping when hot but I'm not intending to shoot that rapidly. Plus the barrel life is about 1500 shots. The rifle is,proving to. Especially very popular and aftermarket barrels are popping up. It might well end up a cult following like the 10/22.

Not knocking them wouldn't mind one myself if I had real use for one ! but for steel and longer range would go creedmore from the little I've read , curious to why you what to chop barel if steel and long range is your intension ,plus it's a flat a witches tits round Selby My old stomping ground

Lee

• 1 month later...

How did it do against the custom?

It's not a custom it's an AI AT. I am most impressed with the Ruger for the money, just needs a muzzle brake.

The recoil is more than expected, in fact it's more than the AI AT (.308), both using handloads.

Archived