.22 Hornet, Liking It Already.

Elk hunter

Been looking for another addition to my collection and I already own a Single shot Oscar Greger hunting rifle in K Hornet. But have always fancied a hornet bolt action and a dealer friend had a S/H one for sale. So Leicestershire police did a variation in 2 days and I went to collect.

I bought a Ruger 77 in excellent shape with a crisp bore. I gave it a good strip and clean, it came with 60 rounds of factory ammo. But I loaded up 10 rounds of my own. 5 with standard hornet length and 5 a little longer. Friday lunch I'd finished and had to set up some gongs for a social day and took the hornet for a spin.

a414600a3fe3d7a4d05fcd89f462ccde.jpg

Set a bench and a 100 target board plus a quick bore sight before starting. 3 shots with factory ammo and I was on the target. But 3 separate targets with 3 rounds apiece and the best group was 2 plus inches. Not the best start.

396a41ba0f460dc5ed8a66d9f65d42ab.jpg

So moved on to home loads.

3 shots with using lilgun and a standard factory length with a 40gr SHP nice group of 0.425 inch.

802b2443e82361d190d495aa2e3afa3d.jpg

3 shots same load just seating depth longer and a group of 0.3 inch.

2456aecacc2d4c91caa429892f9af061.jpg

A calibre I've wanted for some time shows promise.... looking forward to having a serious play on Monday

9c7ee2f0618156006b45c96b549f0b3c.jpg

Andrew thats a cracking hornet had one myself a few years ago very well made rifles.

looks like you've got one that shoots well too (there not known for their accuracy )

always regretted selling mine.pitty i cant make it Monday we could have had a hornet off

Ruger must have changed it's QC with the Hornet. My Ruger 77/Hornet was the worst shooting factory rifle I'd ever owned. Three inch groups at 50M was the best it gave with any loads -hand loads or factory. When I contacted Ruger they inferred I was the problem with the accuracy.

Glad you have a good one. ~Andrew

Hi I have a cz527 cut down to 18" with an SL5 on it. I use it a lot with 13g lil gun & 40g-45g Speer sp with cci pistol primers. I can get all 5 shots within a 5p coin it's unreal for accuracy. The 35g v-max with same load was same unreal. Love my hornet but would like to restock it & scope it but it's a joy to have. I use it at hound days for a rifle at the foxes

Archived