AI AT or AI AW in .308 which one to buy new??

mike82

Guys,

I've had my FAC back and it's time to sell the Remington 700P. I was intitally thinking of a RPR but I have changed my mind.

I have been making some enquiries about a new AI in .308; been offered the AT and AW (the AW is about £400 more, like for like spec).

is it worth the extra? I do like the AW stock (these are non folding versions I'm after).

Mike ?

PS anyone after a mint R700P in .308 threaded (bought this time last year BNWT ?)

I have an AW but I thought the AT was meant to be all the AW goodness plus a quick change barrel and cnc machinined stock.....hard to knock for 400 quid less.

The AW seems to be developing cult status.

(the AW is about £400 more, like for like spec).

is it worth the extra? I do like the AW stock (these are non folding versions I'm after).

The main technical difference is obviously the quick barrel change flexibility of the AT. If you think you will use that barrel change capability regularly, or know you will likely need that flexibility at some stage in the future, I would say it's a no-brainer to go for the AT. However, if you're likely to leave the same barrel on for an extended period, and you prefer the stock/aesthetics of the AW (which I do), I would go for the older model. The good news is that whichever you go for it will be like night and day in terms of the quality improvement moving from a Rem 700.

Get a folder IF you can , very handie to remove bolt & clean , leaves your cheek spacers in place , and makes removing bolt easier also on range , and eans it will fit behind the back seats of even very small cars , ie old Toyota Starlet .

Only if you are stopped , ie like in Aussie , then you are forced into to a fixed stock , would I get a fixed stock version .

Choice is yours , the lugs on the AT are 6 ( AW is 3 ) , and the bolt maybe a little stronger due to those extra lugs , and more precisie , also , I get the feeling that AI closed the firing pin hole size down , tighter , which would allow you to run the ammo hotter ?

If you bent on a fixed , i would go AT , so if you ever need to reduce the rifle pack size , you can just pull the barrel out

Thanks for the comments, Looks like the AT is a no brainier, in the desert colour. Can you not retrofit folding hinges or are there other parts involved at a later date?

Mike

Can you not retrofit folding hinges or are there other parts involved at a later date?

Mike

It's certainly the case that the more modern non-folding AW chassis (made from around year 2000 onwards) could be converted to a folder (this was an approved factory retrofit process). However the factory would not retrofit the folding mechanism on earlier non-folding AW models (i.e. 1990's made). I understand that this was because the earlier non-folding AW chassis were fabricated in a different way which would not support the retrofit of the hinge to the required factory standards. I am not sure whether a current non-folding AT chassis could be retrofited with the hinge mechanism but as the AT chassis is very similar to the previous AW model it may well be that it could be done - if you contact Sporting Services they should be able to give a definitive answer on that point.

There are retro fits available. Its a factory or service centre fit [ myself ] because it involves bonding.

I,m not going to go into the why's models, and costs.

If you think at some point you will need a folder, buy it on the gun, it will save you a lot of money.

@Baldie, Is it possible to buy an AT from the factory in 6.5 creedmoor? alternatively could you buy an AT with no barrel and have an after market barrel fitted by someone like yourself? or is it just a case that you buy it in .308 and buy a 6.5 barrel separately?

cheers

Liam

I had a similar decision , brand new AT or 2nd hand AW. Like for like were the same price with folding stock , 6.5 X 47 barrel and other options ticked

I went down the AW route after seeing Darrels fantastic bench rest results with his and personally preferring the AW type barrel fixing method. Really happy with my decision.

I'm sure you will be happy with either

Regards

Mike

@Baldie, Is it possible to buy an AT from the factory in 6.5 creedmoor? alternatively could you buy an AT with no barrel and have an after market barrel fitted by someone like yourself? or is it just a case that you buy it in .308 and buy a 6.5 barrel separately?

cheers

Liam

I cannot speak for the factory I,m afraid.

Its not at the moment, but who knows ?

The rifles are not sold minus a barrel. However, I can supply a new rifle in creedmoor, and come to some agreement on the .308 barrel with a customer.

I had a similar decision , brand new AT or 2nd hand AW. Like for like were the same price with folding stock , 6.5 X 47 barrel and other options ticked

I went down the AW route after seeing Darrels fantastic bench rest results with his and personally preferring the AW type barrel fixing method. Really happy with my decision.

I'm sure you will be happy with either

Regards

Mike

How did you get on with the primers Mike ?

Archived